Help with cleaning BH209

Modern Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Modern Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

shiner200gr

Reaction score
Used this powder for the first time about 5 months ago., and cleaned my 209 primed Accura as usual (boiled the breech plug in dish soap and water, cleaned the bore with presoaked parches). I fired one shot this morning and called it good.
Now, the spent primer had to be driven out of the breechplug with a nipple pick, and the flash hole is totally blocked with some kind of CRAP after boiling it. What the hell do you use to clean this junk out?

BH209 is kinda similar to smokeless powder, in that you don't have to clean parts as you might with black powder.
Boiling the breech plug isn't necessary.
I personally use plain windex to clean mine.
You also need to use a drill bit to scrape the crud buildup in the primer pocket area.
A 1/8" or 3mm bit, depending on which plug you have.
Just push the bit in there and turn by hand. I also use Qtips to swab around in the pocket along with pipe cleaners.
On the other end, the flash hole, I use a regular nipple pick.

Yeah we kinda been over this a million times. If the plug is clogged you have not been cleaning it as directed by Western and the gazillion times its been posted here....

With a drill bit.....The Acurra BH209 plug takes a 1/8". If it wont fit, well its because its so badly clogged now. You will need to start with a smaller one.

Yeah we kinda been over this a million times. If the plug is clogged you have not been cleaning it as directed by Western and the gazillion times its been posted here....

With a drill bit.....The Acurra BH209 plug takes a 1/8". If it wont fit, well its because its so badly clogged now. You will need to start with a smaller one.
Let me add, that the drill bit is NOT in a power drill. It is held in a pin vice type of tool, and turned with your fingers.
Also, I have a little pill-type bottle of Hoppes #9 that is dedicated for soaking the breech plug..

I just use windex to clean and soak. I always use a spent primer remover to remove the primers. Some folks use washers to shim there primers so they dont stick. I havnt had luck with that method .

Why did I ever let someone talk me out of 777 and into 209....I forget, but it make3s -00- sense to me now. At this point we are talking like "no power drill" to get a spent primer out.
With 777 they come out when the rifle opens!

Why did I ever let someone talk me out of 777 and into 209....I forget, but it make3s -00- sense to me now. At this point we are talking like "no power drill" to get a spent primer out.

Use whatever powder you like, as long as it’s safe.

The talk of using a drill bit twisted by hand is to efficiently clean the passage in the breech plug.

I’d wager that it has nothing to do with removing a spent primer.

i would wager you still have not gone to the Western Blackhorn209 website and would rather just complain about BH209. Its the same thing you did last November when you insisted on using water for clean up. This is nothing new. You just choose not to do what is recommended.

Blackhorn 209.....WTH

Let me post the links again for you.
https://blackhorn209.com/specs/breech-plug-cleaning/
https://blackhorn209.com/specs/general-cleaning/
https://blackhorn209.com/specs/primers/
https://blackhorn209.com/specs/ignition-guidelines/

Last edited:
I realize that the CVA Accura has a lot of blowby when a 209 primer breech is used. I can get along with that when using 777. However when Blackhorn 209 is used, the contamination is not the soft gray dust, it is thick black greasy carbon to the point that I even have to remove a clean the firing pin assembly. The stuff even makes the rifle stick when breaking it open.
So what if you use a proper solvent, it/s still a pain in the A__.

I have had issues with two centerfire Apexes with the muzzleloader hex head breech plugs and there was no way to adjust headspace like your accura. Using a oring in the primer pocket solved the problem. I suggest you adjust your firing pin bushing or use a oring in the primer pocket. You can buy the drill bits with hex head shanks from lowes or home depot, they are easy to spin with your fingers without the need for a pin vice.

Back