Heres how its going

Modern Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Modern Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I’ve been awake since 1am with the plans on hunting this morn. But the snot factory is just out of control. Been this way for the entire wk. I’ve been timing myself between coughing up mouthfuls of clear runny snot every 10-15 min regularly. No point in tryin to hunt like that. So I’m sittin on the fam rm porch with my Accura, bino’s & my coffee & a roll of paper towels to keep blowin my nose in. I’m goin back inside at 8:00. It’s a shame bc it’s finally a really nice morning here weather wise to deer hunt, 44* wind 2-4mph. I’d love to be in my stand right now.
I’m not sure if this snot overload is allergy related or something else.
What sucks too is that if I were to try to go to the Dr for it, I won’t get an appt until after hunting season is over most likely.
Time for some boiled grapefruit and lemon peels? When we had covid, we tried the (false) homemade concoction "Hydroxychloroquine". Though not authentic, it did help me with Post Nasal Drip. Nasty tasting tho..

I was out in the box by 6:15 this morning. Passed the time texting with Hausser1. Only Dewey and Lewey came by till I came in at 10:30. Il be back out this afternoon. Looking to get that Turkey Day buck.
Edit. 1 spike horn this afternoon. Try again tomorrow.

And to all of you. Blessed be your Thanksgiving Day.

Last edited:
If you look up disappointment, you’ll find a picture of my hunting season. It’s that blank space next to the word.

I made some choices in the last year that saw me selling my smokeless Encore (loved that gun) because I thought I needed to build a smokeless Remington, which I did. Before I even shot it I knew it was too heavy and I’d never enjoy hunting with it. So my dumb self decided to sell the Remington, which a guy offered me a very fair price for as well throw in an Encore frame as a partial trade for. So this feller decides he ought to build back better and reached out to Mr. Woodman about building a smokeless Encore barrel. He says yep and off we go. I sent him my frame so the whole thing can be nitrided when it’s done, sent the stock off to be hydrodipped, and began the wait. Now I’m not catholic but I always assume Saint Mark was much older. Turns out he’s actually a dude out in the Northeastern part of the country building guns and gun accessories. He has to be a saint the way he’s patiently dealt with my impatience. Through no fault of his own there was delays on the barrel lugs and he ended up having to make every last part of it. It will be significantly better in the end I’m sure but caused some delay. When I figured out there was a good chance I wouldn’t have the Encore for muzzleloader season I found a good deal on a bow and figured I’d go that route. Its al set up and ready for me to go hunting Saturday morning. It’s our muzzleloader opener but it’s the time I take off every year for hunting so figured I’d just be out with the bow. Well guess who has the Rona? This guy. Yay. Dumb. On the plus side today is the first day this week that I haven’t had a fever but I can’t stop coughing to save my life. So yeah. I’ll probably hunt opening muzzleloader weekend from the couch wishing I was out in the woods.

I had this spot I was going to hunt this year. This guy has still been hanging around…
IMG_2366.jpeg

I have been obsessed with several deer around my place here and yes they only come in at night I'm trying to figure out where they stay in the day it's not hard but of course where I think they stay in the day it's impossible to get into without the deer knowing that you have entered their area I've kind of committed to shooting one of these deer that I have on camera or one that is as big we have a late Muzzleloader season here that I might try to shoot a doe I see one and two year olds and those in the daylight even a couple of 3-year-olds but the four five and six-year-old deer I'm after because of all the dog running only move at nightImage-1(1).jpg

I had 3 large German shepherds come at me on Friday so I grabbed the 308 magazine rifle out the safe too have a little more fire power.
To protect myself.
We had a guy get attacked up the road had 197 puncture wounds and who knows how many stitches to pit him back together
Congratulations on a nice buck Smokey.
But boy those dogs! If I were you I'd round up a couple buddies and go after them with some semi auto pistols and/or rifles. Even a 22LR or WMR would be capable of dispatching them. It seems like they're out of control.

If you look up disappointment, you’ll find a picture of my hunting season. It’s that blank space next to the word.

I made some choices in the last year that saw me selling my smokeless Encore (loved that gun) because I thought I needed to build a smokeless Remington, which I did. Before I even shot it I knew it was too heavy and I’d never enjoy hunting with it. So my dumb self decided to sell the Remington, which a guy offered me a very fair price for as well throw in an Encore frame as a partial trade for. So this feller decides he ought to build back better and reached out to Mr. Woodman about building a smokeless Encore barrel. He says yep and off we go. I sent him my frame so the whole thing can be nitrided when it’s done, sent the stock off to be hydrodipped, and began the wait. Now I’m not catholic but I always assume Saint Mark was much older. Turns out he’s actually a dude out in the Northeastern part of the country building guns and gun accessories. He has to be a saint the way he’s patiently dealt with my impatience. Through no fault of his own there was delays on the barrel lugs and he ended up having to make every last part of it. It will be significantly better in the end I’m sure but caused some delay. When I figured out there was a good chance I wouldn’t have the Encore for muzzleloader season I found a good deal on a bow and figured I’d go that route. Its al set up and ready for me to go hunting Saturday morning. It’s our muzzleloader opener but it’s the time I take off every year for hunting so figured I’d just be out with the bow. Well guess who has the Rona? This guy. Yay. Dumb. On the plus side today is the first day this week that I haven’t had a fever but I can’t stop coughing to save my life. So yeah. I’ll probably hunt opening muzzleloader weekend from the couch wishing I was out in the woods.

I had this spot I was going to hunt this year. This guy has still been hanging around…
View attachment 39005
Where do you live? I've got a couple spare Knight .45 ML's.

Oh and I have to admit the Bucks are winning I've been changing up tactics and hunting from around 9:00 to 3:00 instead of early morning and evening I see deer activity the last 10 minutes of shooting light but it's always the 3-year-olds and younger, the 10-pointer in the first picture I let walk last year I think he was around 1:40 1:42 BC he just look like he had so much potential I thought he got run over in the summer but he didn't he's put on a little bit more antler not points but more mass but he's also graduated to Whitetail ghost School again I love the challenge and it's such a beautiful environment I have to chase him in life is good and I'm grateful

Snapbang I know you'd desperately like to shoot that nice buck you're after but as Ed said earlier, you can't eat horns. Everyone likes a big rack but they don't get big by being stupid. A lot of guys work for them by scouting and such but most hunters get lucky and just happen to stumble upon them. I also know you want to bust one with those paper patch bullets. I don't know how many tags you have or what your game laws are, but if a big swamp donkey comes by and it were me, I'd poleaxe her with that .45!

Snapbang I know you'd desperately like to shoot that nice buck you're after but as Ed said earlier, you can't eat horns. Everyone likes a big rack but they don't get big by being stupid. A lot of guys work for them by scouting and such but most hunters get lucky and just happen to stumble upon them. I also know you want to bust one with those paper patch bullets. I don't know how many tags you have or what your game laws are, but if a big swamp donkey comes by and it were me, I'd poleaxe her with that .45!
There's always a certain amount of luck involved. Doing everything right won't guarantee a big buck but it certainly helps. You're either going to be in the tree when the big boy comes by or you're not.

I've been changing up tactics and hunting from around 9:00 to 3:00 instead of early morning and evening

Basically, every decent buck I have taken has been between 10AM and 2PM during the rut. I took a massive 11 pointer in 1973 when he strolled thru with ten does at about 7AM, but he has been the exception.

Luck is an element in my approach but strategy is much more important to me where I'm hunting at unless I happen to catch one of these old bucks with a doe or chasing I'm going to try to hunt them in their environment which I'm in the process of doing the old bucks in the hills where I live now almost always spend most of their time in country that's so rough no one wants to get back in it I'm very hard headed I'm coming to you big bucks!! And I will not quit, if it's two or three year process I'm very stubborn I see enough deer in the meantime to keep me occupied..

Oh and I have to admit the Bucks are winning I've been changing up tactics and hunting from around 9:00 to 3:00 instead of early morning and evening I see deer activity the last 10 minutes of shooting light but it's always the 3-year-olds and younger, the 10-pointer in the first picture I let walk last year I think he was around 1:40 1:42 BC he just look like he had so much potential I thought he got run over in the summer but he didn't he's put on a little bit more antler not points but more mass but he's also graduated to Whitetail ghost School again I love the challenge and it's such a beautiful environment I have to chase him in life is good and I'm grateful
I hope you get the deer you're after brother.

I’m in southwest Michigan..we hunt state land mostly as the only private land we have to our availability is only 7 acres but it does have state land across the road..we have pulled a total of 5 deer this season. All does except for one very small racked buck that was pushing 175 dresses but was only a 3pt

We have very few bucks in the area we are hunting. On any given sit you can see anywhere from 9-15 does. Trail Cameras don’t show any real signs of bucks either. I’ve got 2 scrapes that I found in the entire area and that’s it..I hear the neighboring property’s shoot quite often since firearm season has started. Now what they are harvesting is beyond me but I’d assume does as well. I’m done meat hunting for the season..2 for me plus that smaller buck is plenty enough for us..from here on out I’ll wait, watch and maybe get lucky to harvest a nice buck.

Last edited:
I also know you want to bust one with those paper patch bullets.

Basically, every decent buck I have taken has been between 10AM and 2PM during the rut.

Yeah bronko, I do want to test your paper patch. Then I want to test Eds 290 grain.
I have had many tell me to hunt 10-2. I have Thanksgiving/birthdays with the family tomorrow (Saturday) so will hunt before and after. Weather is coming in to my favor for a few days and Ill be packing a lunch Sunday and Monday.

I did see a doe and fawn this morning and the spike made a showing at 9 and 10. Hes a beautiful spike.

Appreciate the truths you share but I have a lot of time left to hunt. Also know I am hunting from a box blind complete with heat and office chairs. Im not suffering, trust me. It would be nice to move to other locations because I know a pinch point not 200 yards away. But not on my land. In my favor Im not sure there has been a deer shot in my section. So not any real pressure. The next section west had 300 acres of corn harvested a few days ado. Those bucks could be looking for a new home. Also I have a couple of lads coming to hunt 12/2. I have supplied their family with venison for a few years and the boys are now old enough to hunt. Thought that spike may be perfect for one of them.

We will see. In 2 seconds he could show and all plans abandoned. Either way Im enjoying myself.

Latest posts

Back