Heres how its going

Modern Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Modern Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
First day of PA rifle season today. I spent the last half hour of light in a 50 yard stare down with a baldie. Don’t think if could see me real well cuz I never got a snort or stomp and it finally put its head down and browsed as it walked away. I Shouldered the Knight DISC over a half dozen times. Had straight on and quartering to me shots as well as two broadsides. The booger hook went to the trigger and the automatic process kept - stopping …. LOL

The mind kept saying “nope, too small. Looks young and skinny.” Soooo I’ll go back out tomorrow and Monday…..
sounds like a good day hunting
When I first saw " baldie " I wondered - old guy, eagle, or Pie. Then I kept reading.

You're headed for heartburn shorty! lol Mine are in the near future.

Love the dedication snapbang, and the restraint. I'm struggling whether to buy a muzzy tag or not. I don't need another animal but I sure love being in the woods.

11/26 5:10 am

Seeing the deer is half the battle. If I wasn't seeing them it would be way more difficult. Every time I see movement my heart races thinking maybe this is it.

Seems like something laughable happens every day. Hewey, Dewey, and Lewey are fun to watch. More like cows instead of deer. Lewey learned that if he lays his head sideways on the bird feeder he can get a couple of grains of bird food. I like having them around for decoys. I also watch where they watch because they could hear deer approaching before I do.

Dropping barometer and some snow starting about noon. 22 degrees so I would think deer should move a little more today. Maybe feed a little longer before going to the bedding site.

By the way. I measured the bedding area bordered on my north side. 37 acres. Golden rod and thick brush mostly., pines, a few hardwoods. The total farm is 220 acres and I believe not a hunter in 2 years. At least no one shooting. To the north of that on the other side of a road I believe 1-2 hunters. Maybe 2-3 shots all season. To the west equal amount of the same only leans a little more toward hardwoods. There are hunters 1/2 mile away in that direction. They shoot several times a year. Theres got to be one good buck that will make a mistake.

And make no mistake. After I get a buck or the season ends I will be shooting does. At least 3 and probably 4.

Last edited:
Basically, every decent buck I have taken has been between 10AM and 2PM during the rut. I took a massive 11 pointer in 1973 when he strolled thru with ten does at about 7AM, but he has been the exception.
Good strategy. I've always said deer pattern hunters much better than the other way around. The big mantra now days are to get away from the roads and walk a few miles to get away from the crowds. Go ahead and you'll find yourself hunting in a crowd since other hunters are all doing the same thing. In my opinion the smart thing is to do what other hunters ain't doing.

I had to come into do chores at 11:00. I saw afawn who laid down about 15 yards awayand took a nap for 1 1/2 hours. At 9:00 2 does ran through with the fork/mutant spike was chasing. Probably what I saw yesterday.

I have today (11/26) - Thursday. Then we have a convoluted mz season 12/2-12/11. I have time. For bucks that it. Doe goes to Jan 1.

Not one shot fired that I could hear this morning.

EDIT

Was back out by 12:30. At 1:30 it was snowing so hard I couldn't see very far and felt I may be wasting my time. I thought I cant quit, thats when hes coming by. At 2:30 there were two large doe, 2 large fawn, and don't you know the fork with the mutated spike. They all stood at 80 yards and all of a sudden the fork took of like his tail was on fire. Into the woods and gone. The reaming deer stood there and looked for a minute then one of the big doe took off the opposite direction in the same manner. Again all the deer stood and watched. But this doe came running back and disappeared to the area where the fork is. Again they all stood in wonder. Then they all started running back and forth around the property. Really weird.

Later I saw a chase going on to my west south west 120 yards. Its thick there and couldn't see the buck but im betting its the ugly fork. At 5:15 a big doe came out with 2 big fawns. Im sure the same from earlier. Proved to be a great day to watch deer.

There was one shot about 300 yards west tonight. But it was the only shot all day. The 3 doe were standing 50 yards from me and didnt even flinch. They dont know its deer season.

Last edited:
Well it seems you have a lot of things going in your favor - no deer being shot so I assume no pressure and corn harvested which keeps them from hiding in it so hand in there. All you need now is a little TV and a frig in that blind and you will never have to leave. And I almost forgot, a port-a-pottie!!!!!!
It came down to a port-a-pottie or the jacuzzi,...

Hausser1,

Where I hunt, Tidewater Virginia area, the dedicated MZ season is two weeks then it shifts to general firearms which used to mean shotgun only and all the surrounding clubs ran dogs. Until recently (last year) the county I hunt in only allowed shotguns but that has been modified to allow rifles and MZ from an elevated stand (flat farm land). Deer season ends Jan 6th so I may get a chance to get out again once the clubs slow down in running the dogs. Long way to say, maybe!!
John

Im starting to laugh at myself. But Im having fun.

Even a blind squirrel finds a nut once in a while.

Ill be out hunting the rest of this season (Nov 31) for a big buck. Then I have Dec 2-11 for another opportunity.

Saw lots of does this morning (11/28). Its cold (20) and windy (15). I hope they will get on their feet this afternoon.

I saw about 10 doe yesterday. 11/28 One is a large doe that lay down in the pine trees about 70 yards away. Easy shooting.

She was there for quit a while from 9-10. She paced a lot then lay down for 15 minutes. Then got up and paced around some more.I was wondering if maybe there was a buck nearby making her nervous.

Everything that happens out there I try to interpret that its caused by a buck nearby. LOL

11/29
Hausser1 is visiting today. Hes out there while I write this. We saw a small fawn before shooting light. At 8:00 a 6-7 inch spike. At about 9:00 a small doe but not a fawn. At 9:30 2 spikes, not sure if one was the same seen earlier. So 5 deer watched. I have a few chores to do so Hausser1 is keeping an eye on the place while Im gone for a few hours. If the big buck comes out to play while Im gone Hausser1 will close the deal for me.

This afternoon we saw 2 more spikes. couple of fawns and a spike with some mutation that interfered with his ears.

Ok, we saw 5 spikes maybe 6. Could be the same 3 twice or whatever.

Change in strategy. If Im hunting 8 points + and seeing spikes all day.
Tomorrow I hunt for spikes. Hopefully Ill see the 8+all day
Ill try anything LOL

Last edited:

Latest posts

Back