Heres how its going

Modern Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Modern Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Congrats on that beauty of a deer. Great shooting.
As for those dogs, that is nuts. Stay safe. Shooting a dog can be hard to do when they were probably someone’s pets not very long ago.
Yeah it's hard for me I absolutely love dogs.
I report the incursions to animal control with pics and video.
I even let them know where they live.
I think the owners should be held accountable.
I don't let my dogs run loose.
It is deer season have a little respect for your neibors...

Last edited:
Was fortunate enough to get a shot on this guy Sunday.
It's hard to let him walk as my neighbors practices a brown its down strategy.
He was a traveling buck never seen him before Sunday. He was dogging a hot doe and making a scrape when I spotted him.
There were 5 other lesser bucks in the field.
Along with 8 or 9 does.
I am yet to christen my smokeless as we have had roving packs of dogs invading my property.
I had 3 large German shepherds come at me on Friday so I grabbed the 308 magazine rifle out the safe too have a little more fire power.
To protect myself.
We had a guy get attacked up the road had 197 puncture wounds and who knows how many stitches to pit him back together View attachment 38937
The shot was 212 yards thru the heart.
He fell where he stood.
Nice shooting on a fine buck. Congrats. I'm sorry about the dog BS goin on. As a fellow dog lover & owner of a bunch of them since I could walk, I've had to shoot dogs on 2 occasions. It was either end up with those 197 puncture wounds & everything else, or put them down. I still feel terrible about that to this day though.

That's a nice buck, not too old. Good eating there.

While the rack lacks a bit if mass its still a symmetrical rack. Really nice.

That's a nice buck, not too old. Good eating there.

While the rack lacks a bit if mass its still a symmetrical rack. Really nice.
Yeah if I had more land I'd let him walk and see what he might have been.
I've let a bunch walk already this year only to hear a shot 5 minutes later. It's hard around here lots of meat hunters. They don't care about the rack or age of the deer.
The freezer is empty and mama done said so on several occasions so on the ground he went.
I try and let the does alone but I was getting ready to whack one.

I continue to see plenty of deer. I found out tonight that what I thought was a fork horn that just liked to hang around is really two forkhorns that are so close in appearance I thought they were the same one until they show up together. Tonight I got a glimpse of a nice rack buck. Just as I turned from one window to the next I see just a glimpse of a rack as the entire animal disappears. That was at 4 oclock so I was hopeful he would show again. No such luck tonight.

Two weeks of VA muzzleloader season, and did not see one deer, same for the 3 other guys I was hunting with. Dry and warm. Out everyday except Sunday just like Snapbang.
Sorry to hear that you're havin Tag Soup up there. I was just sayin the other day that all except for a few days of cooler temps in the 40's, its just been too hot &/or humid for me to get into deer hunting here in Fl. Its only a cpl of wks here that it gets cold enough for me to put on my hunting gear & enjoy being out there without the clouds of skeeters & deer covered in ticks. It sounds like you have the same thing goin on up there.

He was a traveling buck never seen him before Sunday. He was dogging a hot doe and making a scrape when I spotted him.
Along with 8 or 9 does.
I am yet to christen my smokeless as we have had roving packs of dogs invading my property.
I had 3 large German shepherds come at me on Friday so I grabbed the 308 magazine rifle out the safe too have a little more fire power.
To protect myself.
We had a guy get attacked up the road had 197 puncture wounds and who knows how many stitches to pit him back together View attachment 38937
He fell where he stood.
I'd be carrying a high capacity 12 gauge auto loader full of buck 0000
Along with 8 or 9 does.
To protect myself.
He fell where he stood.
I'd be carrying a high capacity 12 gauge auto loader full of 00 buck. I have 0 tolerance for feral dogs having been attacked myself 46 years ago while rabbit hunting. Nice buck. He should eat just fine!

Thanks guys, it can be rough but I was lucky enough to get a 5 point one during bow season so it made it bearable. Trail cam pics were/are showing deer but mostly during the night with the occasional one during the day. They are running dogs now in Southern VA so I am pretty much done for the year but may go for a couple days in late Dec after the clubs lose interest.

I'm living through Snapbang now!

A lot of hunters I know think that shooting does is beneath them. A lot of them like to say I got "A BUCK". If you keep shooting small bucks you'll never shoot a big buck. A small buck goes to the locker just like a doe. It's very rare to see a buck in Iowa say over 150 inches.Buck to doe ratio is also way out of whack. This mindset would have to change to shoot big bucks. Of course it won't. I'm expecting to get an awful lot of earful.
If you watch the hunting shows filmed in Iowa, one would be led to believe that there are 150"+ bucks behind ever tree. Here in western NYS, I am lucky to get to see a buck during legal hunting hours. We have no antler restrictions here. They want us to shoot more does, but what do you do with them as no one wants them and the local donation places closed during COVID. I am not driving over an hour to donate a deer.

Last edited:
Yeah it's hard for me I absolutely love dogs.
I report the incursions to animal control with pics and video.
I even let them know where they live.
I think the owners should be held accountable.
I don't let my dogs run loose.
It is deer season have a little respect for your neibors...
Disregard for the 4 legged hairy angels among us is infuriating to me. If they are responsible for unprovoked attacks, then euthanasia is needed. Far too many inconsiderate people have no business owning dogs. IMSO.

I’ve been awake since 1am with the plans on hunting this morn. But the snot factory is just out of control. Been this way for the entire wk. I’ve been timing myself between coughing up mouthfuls of clear runny snot every 10-15 min regularly. No point in tryin to hunt like that. So I’m sittin on the fam rm porch with my Accura, bino’s & my coffee & a roll of paper towels to keep blowin my nose in. I’m goin back inside at 8:00. It’s a shame bc it’s finally a really nice morning here weather wise to deer hunt, 44* wind 2-4mph. I’d love to be in my stand right now.
I’m not sure if this snot overload is allergy related or something else.
What sucks too is that if I were to try to go to the Dr for it, I won’t get an appt until after hunting season is over most likely.

If you watch the hunting shows filmed in Iowa, one would be led to believe that there are 150"+ bucks behind ever tree. Here in western NYS, I am lucky to get to see a buck during legal hunting hours. We have no antler restrictions here. They want us to shoot more does, but what do you do with them as no one wants them and the local donation places closed during COVID. I am not driving over an hour to donate a deer.
Cut them yourselves, eat them up. They are delicious….

Back