HI and is this safe to shoot

Modern Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Modern Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

TJGRIFF

Reaction score
Hi from east Tennessee ..
this is my second year of hunting with a muzzleloader . I messed up a good chance last year on a nice buck. he was about 75 yards away and I shot high. I have sighted in many rifles and never had a problem, but my muzzleloader is like it has a mind of it,s own ! after missing the shot ,I went back to target shooting and couldn,t hit the paper at 100 yards !
So ,after being totally at whits end with it, I talked to a couple of guys they told me change the powder. I was using hodgens triple 7 100 grains, with 295 grain powerbelts ... They told me to use jim shockey pioneer gold fff powder, and reduce the powder by 15% . I was also told to clean after each time I shoot !
I bought the powder and would like to know is this going to be safe to shoot ? before I try this.
Any information would be appricated.
my muzzleloader is a traditions persuit 50 cal.
thanx
TJ GRIFF

Just my opinions... Jim Shockey Gold is American Pioneer Powder. It can be temperamental in wet weather some say. I have and do shoot it. On the range it works fine. Triple Seven is a fine powder. I would think that powder would work just fine in your rifle. As for the powerbelts... many will tell you there are better projectiles out there in the market.

Are you shooting pellets? With Triple Seven are you swabbing the bore between shots? I just think there are many things that effect accuracy. But once you find a consistent load it should be fine in your rifle.

I had a pursuit XLT and it was an accurate rifle. I used 290gr Hornady SST and 110gr of BlackHorn 209 powder.

Are u using a scope? If so, possible base, ring, scope issue? Tried open sights yet?

Are those powerbelts tipped? If so, are u using the correct loading jag and not smashing the tips?

Is your breech plug completely clean, no crud buildup inside of it?

Your original powder/bullet combo should work but maybe your rifle just doesn't like that combo. TC ShockWaves/hornady sst normally shoot well with most rifles, a possible try for u.

There are many good reviews for the gold powder, some negative, I've never tried it. I would start off at maybe 80grs and see how it does, then possibly use 5-10gr more powder, find out what your rifle likes.

T7, I would swab after every shot with a wet patch followed by a dry patch, usually always shoots better that way. JS gold, I don't know, try not swabbing, then try swabbing, see what works best.

If all else fails, bend the rifle around a tree and start over :poke: , just kidding u. U will get it figured out, just takes some tinkering sometimes.

If I had your rifle, I would go to a store and get me some 250 grain Shockwaves. On a clean barrel load 90 grains of Triple Seven and then that Shockwave. Shoot a three shot group. Be sure you swab between shots. My Traditions/Remington Genesis also likes the 260 grain PT Gold made by Harvester. Again, 90 grains of powder and one of them.

The best group I ever shot in my life was with my Genesis. I was shooting 2 pyrodex RS pellets and a 250 grain Barnes MZ Expander. the bullet is .452 and the three shot group was just a little over .470 in width. One of the few targets I ever kept... :D

thanx for the information people... I will try these suggestions , under advisement, and post my results
thanx again
TJ GRIFFIN

Latest posts

Back