Hi from Mobile Alabama

Modern Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Modern Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

DangerousDrummer

Reaction score
I am new to muzzleloading, but not to loading centerfire. I picked up a CVA Kodiak .45 cal Mag rifle before Christmas. I have not shot it yet, but am intrigued by the concept of a small chamberless cannon. Since I really enjoy building exotic bullets I think I am really going to enjoy muzzleloading.

I have been studying sabots (shoes fr.) and wondered if fine brass screen would make a good sabot for a cast bullet, so this afternoon I built a punch and die to form .010 thk brass screen into a sabot for a .445 dia bullet. I turned a .445, 52 gn bullet out of aluminum on the lathe.

The brass screen is better than paper or leather and easier to form than a shell case. Requires no expensive press or die, and will hold lube better than any other material.

The results are quite good..

2013-02-14%252020.59.01.jpg

:D

WELCOME ABOARD D.D. :!: Glad you could drop in and visit the forum. Ask your questions and you'll get a lot ot first hand knowlege and it's all free. Glad your with us....... :!:

RAY......... :wink:

Interesting concept on the brass sabots. I am lookng forward to a range report.

Oh yeah welcome to the site.

Latest posts

Back