Hodgdon 777 loose questions

Modern Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Modern Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

ohihunter2014

Reaction score
I usually shoot Blackhorn 209 but cannot find it anywhere. I can find 777 loose powder so I think I will switch to that. 777 pellets shoot terrible with my .451 300gr xtp so should I expect the same with 777 loose? Any other things I need to watch for when using 777 loose? I shoot a 50cal CVA optima.

I am looking at doing the same thing just because im sick of paying 35-50$ for 10 ounces when I can buy a pound of 777 for 24$
Is there a shelf life on the 777?

You should get the same accuracy with triple 7 loose as with BH209. However you will also get a crud ring due to the 209 primer, so swabbing will be needed to keep the accuracy.
Clean up is different too. Don't use modern solvents with T7 only a citrus house hold cleaner works great.
Keep T7 in a dry cool place and it will last for years.

I am looking at doing the same thing just because im sick of paying 35-50$ for 10 ounces when I can buy a pound of 777 for 24$
Me too. I like the clean up and accuracy but seems to get more expensive each year.

Shooting its same as black powder same cleanup boiling hot soapy water,,,set aside too completely cool,then no13 t/c moosemilk..then 1000 plus bore butter,,i have been shooting it and cleaning that way for 15 years in competition,,actually the profile pic is a 45 using 777 off hand 50 yards

My Accura didn't like pellets either, It shoots loose powder great. I shoot 77 grains of weighed BH209 which equates to 110 grains by volume. I bought the Blackhorn breech plug for it also, T7 powder should shoot just fine for you and you have the ability to adjust your powder charge in small increments to dial in your accuracy. T7 is dirtier and more swabbing/cleaning is needed like they said.

A friend invested a lot in a fancy in-line, new scope, various saboted bullets and pellets. Tried lots of combinations, hated the accuracy. He asked me to take it to the range and "sort things out." I switched out the pellets and went to loose triple seven and got great groups at 100 yards. I gave all his stuff back to him, except the pellets which I buried. He loves his new set up and had successfully hunted with it.

ADK Bigfoot

I vacuum seal my powder bottles, works great, never had an issue, and you definitely need to swab between shots. good luck

For those who don't appreciate the price of BH209, keep an eye out for it being clearanced at that certain big box chain. Usually gets down to less than the 777 price listed above. 2 or 3 bottles each year get's you plenty of shooting powder for all the shooting you want to do before next season.

Shooting its same as black powder same cleanup boiling hot soapy water,,,set aside too completely cool,then no13 t/c moosemilk..then 1000 plus bore butter,,i have been shooting it and cleaning that way for 15 years in competition,,actually the profile pic is a 45 using 777 off hand 50 yards
Plain room temp water is all thats needed for black powder ,hot just gets you flash rust and soap just makes you feel good !/Ed

You'll probably get significantly better accuracy and potentially even a little bit more velocity using the same weight of loose 777. It's a little bit harder to clean than Blackhorn 209 (and you probably will need to swab between shots), but it's not too bad overall. I hunted with loose 777 for years when I lived in Washington back when we couldn't use 209 primers on muzzleloaders.

as long as you keep it in a climate control area it will be fine.
I’m still working on some T777 that I got back in 2016 and it still go’s boom.

For those who don't appreciate the price of BH209, keep an eye out for it being clearanced at that certain big box chain. Usually gets down to less than the 777 price listed above. 2 or 3 bottles each year get's you plenty of shooting powder for all the shooting you want to do before next season.
X2
Walmart 1/2 off $19.00 I always buy 2

OP mentioned same as black powder , thats what I commented on .I don"t use T7 never have/never will /Ed

Butch's Black Powder Bore Shine. 5 patches and you're done. I have no clue why anyone would use anything different.
Less mess than BP or any other substitute, including BH209.
For over four years I would shoot 5 cases of T7 pellets (I know, not loose) and honestly, cleaning was the easiest of any propellant.

Ok guys thanks for the heads up I will stop and try a pound of it. I have just been so out of touch shooting these things the last 10 years raising my boys and chasing them around hockey rinks and baseball fields.

For T7 I do the spit wad between shots. I like to keep my barrel pointed down. You can feel the crud ring near the plug. Just work the patch over the crud ring until you dont feel it anymore. A bit of a hassle but gives the gun time to cool. I really dont mind the crud ring. It slows the shooting a little but who wants to hurry when your having fun??????

I usually shoot Blackhorn 209 but cannot find it anywhere. I can find 777 loose powder so I think I will switch to that. 777 pellets shoot terrible with my .451 300gr xtp so should I expect the same with 777 loose? Any other things I need to watch for when using 777 loose? I shoot a 50cal CVA optima.
T7 and any loose powder will always be more reliable all around. It may be dirtier than your BH209, but it will be just as accurate.

It will also allow you to use conicals without sabots too. . ..with reliable ignition.

Back