Holder of some type for Knight red plastic jackets

Modern Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Modern Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Critter

Reaction score
Is there a speed loader or some type of holder that works with the Knight red jackets? I need to develop a fast reloading technique in the field and this is really the only hold up. I know, one shot one kill, but I have 23 antlerless permits to fill and the does usually run in big groups(sometimes up to 100) later in the season.

If your hunting from a stand keep some in your jacket pocket. That's my trick at the range. I keep dry patches and powder vials in one pocket, bullets and caps in the other.

Although no matter how fast you load a second rifle is faster.

I have two Knight inlines and three T/C sidehammers, how much does a gun bearer run? :lol:
Have you ever had problems with keeping them loose in your pocket like that? I thought about doing that or using a small rubber band to attach it to the speedloaders.

Just buy a golf bag and hire a caddy. :lol:

No I've never had primers fall out of my pockets at the range. Hunting I use a pill bottle but keep a few in pockets.

23 antlerless tags???

Critter: sounds like you need help.... feel free to pm me.. sounds like a pretty good time to be had.. Les

I've alway kept them in my pocket. I like the "two gun" idea for the ultimate second shot speed. Of course you COULD go the over/under route:

Traditions Double Shot

The two rifle idea is not new to me. The first year I went ML hunting I carried a T/C Renegade, T/C Hawken and a Ruger old Army. I was convinced that there was no way these things could kill a deer, youth :roll: . The first day I went I dropped a pig of a doe with a maxi out of the Renegade and it's been uphill from there. I rarely shoot any game with anything but a ML or BP loaded shells anymore.

I guess I'll quit worrying about it and just carry them in my pocket, won't get much faster than that.

I wonder if CVA is going to swipe my rotary cap/primer feed mechanism. :wink:

I came up with a couple ideas that have worked so far this season for the jackets and thought I would share.

speedloader001.jpg

This is a speed loader tube sold by Traditions. Holds 10 jackets nicely. Excuse the grubby hands. :oops:

speedloader002.jpg

Same tube with 100grs of FFg 777, T/C 200gr Shockwave and jacket. I used two of these the other day and they worked great even when I was fired up after having shot deer.
Thought someone might be able to use the info.

Critter said:
Is there a speed loader or some type of holder that works with the Knight red jackets? I need to develop a fast reloading technique in the field and this is really the only hold up. I know, one shot one kill, but I have 23 antlerless permits to fill and the does usually run in big groups(sometimes up to 100) later in the season.

Wish I was hunting with you. Sounds like a lot of fun. I just keep the primers in their holders in a pocket. Also while you might want to do speed shooting, it is a good way to miss load. Which can be dangerous. Take your time, and do it right. Might take you a little longer, but you would have a more accurate load and be able to hunt a little longer.

It sounds like the deer must be thick around you.

Our county is about 11,000 to 14,000 over the DNR goal. They hope to have 17,000 to 20,000 and we're currently at 31,000 and rising. There was an upward trend in antlerless deer harvest but that has since dropped and then leveled out. Our areas biologist made the comment to me that reducing the population in this area is akin to peeing upwind. I have help filling the tags so I don't have to do it all myself. Finding a good place for all the venison is going to be the biggest problem. I have a list of people that would take one and the number of a processer that process them for free for donation to Sportsman Against Hunger. I have never filled my freezer completely with venison, this might be the year. :lol:

I won't get in a hurry, I've seen the results of people who have(several years of working in gunshops). I just wanted the most efficent way I could find of loading. Thank you for your concern though.

I just drilled a couple holes thru a piece of plastic, the holes are the same size as the small end of the red primer holder. Then I used a nylon snap tie to keep it on the speed loader.
I keep 3 speedloaders with powder and bullet in the tube and on the outside is the piece of plastic, snap tied, with 2 primers. I use two incase of dropping one in the snow. Find the right drill size and it is a nice friction fit. Holds tight but can be pulled out quickly with cold fingers

Latest posts

Back