HOLY WHITE!

Modern Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Modern Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
It has the slotted thumbscrew for the action retainer instead of the spring. That is a good thing. You also have the better safety system on the plunger IMO. As far as bullets, I would try the .503's you got. See if they lightly engrave on the way down. My guess is you might want something slightly bigger. In my whites I have not had the best luck with those CCI primers. I like the new Remingtons better.
________
Vaporizer wholesale

Thanks for the tips Flounder!

I thought it was neat that it had the plunger safety, and the safety on the side of the rifle as well.

I've used the CCI primers before on an older Lyman .58 Caplock that I had and it would take two hits of the hammer before they would ignite :? I may go ahead and get some Remington primers for the White.

I have one White Muzzleloading Systems .451 S91 Super Safari with a 12 L&G barrel on it. Serial # S 38xx. The rifle does have Doc's sipher on it (Most if not all Super Safari's do) but I doubt he did any thing more than lap the barrel and bed it. I bought it from a gentleman that had been a White dealer and had kept it aside for himself as he said it was a real shooter. I must agree it is.

I have 4 others all are as you said G series rifles.

buglemintoday,
you have a very rare find there and also a very nice rifle. as someone else mentioned, it should last you a lifetime. you also got the rifle for an excellent price. there are a few of us on this forum who would not have passed up such a deal whether we needed the rifle or not. congrats.

Buglemintoday said:
Thanks for the tips Flounder!

I thought it was neat that it had the plunger safety, and the safety on the side of the rifle as well.

I've used the CCI primers before on an older Lyman .58 Caplock that I had and it would take two hits of the hammer before they would ignite :? I may go ahead and get some Remington primers for the White.

RWS caps are the best if you can find them, but the new Remingtons are just as good, at least they stay on the nipple and fire everytime.

I also take out the plunger and spring so the spring keeps its tension when in storage.

Come on over to DWB's when you get a chance.... :)
www.thedwbs.com

Thanks everyone!

Steve - Where would I find information on how to take out the spring/plunger?

The blue book that came with it should give you detailed break down info,or it is simple.

pull the plunger rearward and twist it clock wise to rest on safety, remove the action screw (slotted knurled) on left side of action housing. Pull the hammer assembly Towards the rear of the rifle and slightly upward. Holding the hammer assembly grasp the cocking knob and turn counter clockwise and slowly let it rest in the fired position. Grasp the hammer end and twist counter clockwise keeping in mind there will be some spring tention at the end, you now can remove the spring and clean the hammer assembly as needed. Reassemble in the reverse. Make sure when you install the reassmbled hammer it is cocked and on safe when you INSERT IGNORE it back into the action housing and re install the action screw before allowing it to fire.

Have a blast.

Excellent, thanks guys!

I'm waiting on my expense report check (or a pay check) and I'll finish ordering the last few items I need to start blowing smoke here in West Texas!

You have found a really nice rifle there. That is the rifle I would carry to CO myself if I ever get to go that way for a muzzleloader hunt. Let us know how she shoots when you get her out to the range. Looks like you really got a steal of a deal.

If you want to shoot plastic I have had good success with a .458 Rem 300gn HP copper jacket with a MMP Orange Sabot. The Rem is a cheap bullet to shoot! My friend took two does within 5 mins last year, 120 gns of T7 2f lit by a Rem cap.

Nice looking rifle. Congrats there Bugle. I got excited just hearing your story!

harry said:
Nice looking rifle. Congrats there Bugle. I got excited just hearing your story!

Thanks!

And Thanks everyone for the responses!

Does anyone have powder recommendations? I've heard Pinnacle or Pyrodex P or Select are good out of these guns.

70-75 grains of 777 in ffg worked the best in my .504s. Same load in Swiss if you want to go with real black. Pyrodex P is better in the .451's but will shoot okay in the .504's. I got my best groups with 90 grains of P.

Get some NoExcuse bullets in 495 grains. Best bullet for the $ you can put in that beast. You will have to check as the 495 might not be CO legal but I'm sure the 460 grainers are okay.

Have not shot any pinnacle so I don't know how it would do in the 91's.

Super 91 said:
You will have to check as the 495 might not be CO legal but I'm sure the 460 grainers are okay.

Colorado did away with the 2x diameter thing for length in January. Hello 600grainers :lol:

Where do yall buy Swiss? Online or local? I've heard great things about it but I've never seen a can in person before.

75-80gr T7 fffg is what I use in my .504's. Depends on the era the rifle was made but I would shoot 495gr No Excuse or the 480gr super slug. I shoot the bullshops in M97's as the bore is a little larger. I found more than 80gr the accuarcy suffers.

I have some 600gr superslugs that I am going to play with here soon.

Super 91 said:
70-75 grains of 777 in ffg worked the best in my .504s. Same load in Swiss if you want to go with real black. Pyrodex P is better in the .451's but will shoot okay in the .504's. I got my best groups with 90 grains of P.

Get some NoExcuse bullets in 495 grains. Best bullet for the $ you can put in that beast. You will have to check as the 495 might not be CO legal but I'm sure the 460 grainers are okay.

Have not shot any pinnacle so I don't know how it would do in the 91's.

Hey Bob, long time no see! Like Bugle said, Colorado did away with the bullet length restriction this January.

Here is the draft, with the changes in red. Struck through words were removed from the final regs. I like this one better than the final, because you can see all the changes, and don't have to rely on memory. :lol:

http://wildlife.state.co.us/NR/rdonlyre ... proved.pdf

Latest posts

Back