Hornady 340 gr Bore Driver ELD-X Review

Modern Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Modern Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Well I'd use them. Remember one bullet does not prove anything. I shot dozens of deer with a 100 gr .243 bullet with the deer being DRT except for one time. That time the bullet pretty much desentigrated on impact! The 2nd bullet dropped him. Last time I checked the deer werent wearing armor plating. Just saying. I've used Powerbelts before and got every deer I shot with them.

Well I'd use them. Remember one bullet does not prove anything. I shot dozens of deer with a 100 gr .243 bullet with the deer being DRT except for one time. That time the bullet pretty much desentigrated on impact! The 2nd bullet dropped him. Last time I checked the deer werent wearing armor plating. Just saying. I've used Powerbelts before and got every deer I shot with them.
I hear ya, and I respect your opinion even though I disagree. I know more guys who stopped using Powerbelts than still use them due to poor performance on deer.
For all the hype these new Hornady bullets where, they sure aren't living up to it.

I plan on shooting some semi long range with my knigh Mountaineer
.45 Cal. Just to get the "feel" of it I'm starting with 285 gr Powerbelt ELRs. Oy because Midway has them on sale this week.

Does anyone think these are better then the old Hornady 350gr FPB?

I have been shooting the eldx the last 3 weekends. They definitely stay together more at longer yardage. My friend and I are going to use them on a short range cow hunt this year in idaho.
At 100 yards my friend is getting 3/4 in group at 100 yards with a scope and I am getting 1/2 or better. We have not recovered any at 100. We have recovered quite a few at 200 and we are seeing good weight retention.
We are both using 94.3 gr by weight of pyrodex select with the cva 209 breech plug and a cheddit 209 primer. We are shooting that load out of a cva optima with a 1:28 twist.

The first pic is of my group at 100 yards. The hole high and left was after an adjustment to the scope.

The second pic is my friends group at 100 yards.

The other pics are recovered bullets at 200 going through 2 x1 gallon milk jugs and a 1/2 in piece of partical board. We were getting 283 to 288 gr by weight recovered. We are going to try out to 300 yards this upcoming weekend

Attachments

• 20230730_105959.jpg
    20230730_105959.jpg
    1.1 MB · Views: 0
  • IMG_5196.jpg
    IMG_5196.jpg
    557.2 KB · Views: 0
  • IMG_5234.jpg
    IMG_5234.jpg
    216.1 KB · Views: 0
  • IMG_5232.jpg
    IMG_5232.jpg
    209.7 KB · Views: 0
  • IMG_5233.jpg
    IMG_5233.jpg
    196.6 KB · Views: 0
Does anyone think these are better then the old Hornady 350gr FPB?
I would say the 350 FPB is a much tougher bullet. They stay together better with a harder lead and thicker jacket. Lots of guys have used the FPB on elk hunts with good success.
Look at the water jug test ronlaughlin did with the 350 FPB vs eldiablo's test with the 340 Bore Driver. Big difference.
I would say the 350 FPB is better for hunting deer and elk. However, I predict the Hornady will shoot more accurately out of most guys' gun just like the PowerBelts did due to thin jacket and the soft , putty like lead.

I would say the 350 FPB is a much tougher bullet. They stay together better with a harder lead and thicker jacket. Lots of guys have used the FPB on elk hunts with good success.
Look at the water jug test ronlaughlin did with the 350 FPB vs eldiablo's test with the 340 Bore Driver. Big difference.
I would say the 350 FPB is better for hunting deer and elk. However, I predict the Hornady will shoot more accurately out of most guys' gun just like the PowerBelts did due to thin jacket and the soft , putty like lead.
I'm a huge FPB fan , I've got hundreds and didn't want to have to try the eldx. I know Busta a former member and wealth of knowledge dropped a nice elk with the FPB. I've dropped several deer with it ,shame they stopped making it .

Man this muzzleloading has come a long way since I started back in the early 70s. Inlines weren't a thing then. At least I never heard of one.
The groups you guys and myself have been shooting rival those of custom handloads in CF rifles! I guess the increased interest has resulted in more consistency with both rifle and bullet manufacturers. But I guess for such improvements we have to pay the price and we also see that at the gun shops.
I know that more than a few times when I was done shooting and picked up my targets at the range and guys would ask how it shot I'd get jaw dropping results when they looked at the target. Some would comment "I didn't know a muzzleloader could shoot that good" or similar comment.

I shot the H340ELDX this past weekend.

Rem 700 UML.

100 yds, 3 shots, 2115 fps. BH209

I’ll use them on deer this fal
I shot the H340ELDX this past weekend.

Rem 700 UML.

100 yds, 3 shots, 2115 fps. BH209

I’ll use them on deer this fall.
I have been so impressed with these. I’ve been seeing a lot of sub moa groups as well as shooting them too. My just a little over 1/2in group at 100. I’ve been impressed with the bullet retention also. I’ll find out here shortly what they will do to an elk. 😁

@Roger Carlton
I’m guessing you used a magnum charge of BH209 to get that velocity.

How much if you don’t mind sharing?

Thanks
My gun is the Rem 700 UML, with the Arrowhead gen2 breech plug. Yes, it’s a stout charge of BH209. I’m reluctant to share that here since someone may decide to use it in a ML not designed to handle that charge weight.

My gun is the Rem 700 UML, with the Arrowhead gen2 breech plug. Yes, it’s a stout charge of BH209. I’m reluctant to share that here since someone may decide to use it in a ML not designed to handle that charge weight.
Completely understandable and I appreciate the reply. My CVA max is 120 by volume and I still stay below that for my shoulder’s sake.

Had to look up frangible, but that seems to be a good description of your results. Thanks for posting. Not sure what I want to do for elk hunt in September. I was hoping these would be highly lethal and with the BC, have great trajectory. I have plenty of the 350 grain borloc's, so we'll see.
I killed a bull last fall with Bor locks and really like them. This was my bullet found under skin of bull. They are a lead alloy (not pure lead) so tend to hold together better. This bullet went thru the top of bulls shoulder blade (I was shooting at a severe downhill angle). I didn’t weigh the bullet but would guess around 300 gr found.

IMG_6671.jpegIMG_6670.jpeg

I killed a bull last fall with Bor locks and really like them. This was my bullet found under skin of bull. They are a lead alloy (not pure lead) so tend to hold together better. This bullet went thru the top of bulls shoulder blade (I was shooting at a severe downhill angle). I didn’t weigh the bullet but would guess around 300 gr found.

View attachment 36640View attachment 36641
Would you mind sharing what powder and how much you used? Also how far was your shot. I will be using BH209 in a CVA Accura V2. I am planning to use 66.5 grains by weight (95 gr. volume). I plan to limit distance to 125 yards. Thanks

I shot on my Accura on Wednesday of this last week. Results were less than impressive. I am 77 years old and have had cataract surgery on my left eye. I have shot right handed my whole life, but see much better with my left eye now. I have contacts I can wear in my right eye, but still not as good as my left eye. I am going to go back to range this week and try switching to left handed and use my left eye. Looking through sight here at home it is much clearer with my left eye. Is this a bad idea or maybe it could work? Dry firing the gun on left side seems to feel OK.

95 gr BH 209 by volume and the 350 gr lead Bor lock. I felt comfortable out to 150 yds from the bench. Plenty of power to kill an elk that far. my shot was about 40 yards.

Sounds like a good plan to me to switch to lefty. Also I had to order 1.0 reading glasses (that’s weaker than regular) so I could see my front sight clearly. Without them there is 2 front sights.

The thing that also helped me tighten my groups is the 6 O’clock hold. Put what you are aiming at on top of your front sight instead of coving it with the front bead. Allows more precise aiming.

Last edited:
If I were you, I would start with 85 grains of powder. Shoot Three times, and use 90 g of powder shoot him three times, 95, 100… I would still feel comfortable using 85 grains of powder with a Blackhorn 209 for elk out 150 yards. That’s equivalent to 100 grains real blackpowder. When I did as I described, my best, most accurate load was 95 grs and that’s what I use. My brothers is 90 grs. Each gun is a little different.

Back