Hornady Great Plains for Elk?

Modern Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Modern Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Are Hornady Great Plains bullets a good choice for elk? What are your thoughts and experiences? If you had to pick a full-bore, all-lead conical for elk, what would you hunt with?

Thanks!

Are Hornady Great Plains bullets a good choice for elk? What are your thoughts and experiences? If you had to pick a full-bore, all-lead conical for elk, what would you hunt with?

Thanks!

While I'm sure many elk are shot at by Hornady great plains bullets, I don't recommend them.
I used the 410 gr Hornady GP for years. While I took several very nice deer I always felt like the job barely got done.
The Hornady bullets are softer than pudding on velvet. In this picture these bullets were found in the ribcage. They only penetrated one side. Some might say they performed perfectly. My reply is they almost didn't make it into the ribcage. The deer stayed on his feet forever and required a long track job.
Hornady dropped the solid point and now they only have hollow points.

I can not in good faith recommend them. The hollow point is going to further reduce penetration.

The bullet I recommend to people for elk is the no excuse bullets. They are a decent bullet. They have almost no quality control. So buy a bunch and sort them out.

Attachments

• 20201107_080215.jpg
    20201107_080215.jpg
    493.1 KB · Views: 0
This is my lee 500S&W bullet. They are slightly hardened and sized for my barrel. This bullet started out at 458 grains and still weighs 454 grains. Tge shot was 248 yards. It broke the shoulder and spine and was found under the hide on the off side. Only 80 gr of pyrodex P.
This is only the second one I have found. Most blow through even on adult elk.

Attachments

• 20200901_194632.jpg
    20200901_194632.jpg
    210 KB · Views: 0
  • 20201010_201905.jpg
    20201010_201905.jpg
    162.8 KB · Views: 0
  • 20201010_201928.jpg
    20201010_201928.jpg
    719 KB · Views: 0
  • 20201010_201842.jpg
    20201010_201842.jpg
    159.8 KB · Views: 0
  • 13943.jpeg
    13943.jpeg
    298.2 KB · Views: 0
While I'm sure many elk are shot at by Hornady great plains bullets, I don't recommend them.
I used the 410 gr Hornady GP for years. While I took several very nice deer I always felt like the job barely got done.
The Hornady bullets are softer than pudding on velvet. In this picture these bullets were found in the ribcage. They only penetrated one side. Some might say they performed perfectly. My reply is they almost didn't make it into the ribcage. The deer stayed on his feet forever and required a long track job.
Hornady dropped the solid point and now they only have hollow points.

I can not in good faith recommend them. The hollow point is going to further reduce penetration.

The bullet I recommend to people for elk is the no excuse bullets. They are a decent bullet. They have almost no quality control. So buy a bunch and sort them out.
Thanks for your input, Ron. There are obviously lots of opinions on this. In this circa 2007 thread on bullets for elk, Best bullet for bull elk | Muzzleloader Hunting a group of folks who hunted elk in CO from 2002 through 2006 and killed many elk report great success with the H GP 385 grain hollow points, and a few others endorsed the HGPs as well. Are you the same Idahoron who endorsed HGPs in this thread? If so, did you have prior successes with the HGPs? Were the negative results above (stopped by ribs on the far side?) what changed your mind? How far away was the deer when you shot it, and did the bullet hit the shoulder blade on the way in? Thanks.

Thanks for your input, Ron. There are obviously lots of opinions on this. In this circa 2007 thread on bullets for elk, Best bullet for bull elk | Muzzleloader Hunting a group of folks who hunted elk in CO from 2002 through 2006 and killed many elk report great success with the H GP 385 grain hollow points, and a few others endorsed the HGPs as well. Are you the same Idahoron who endorsed HGPs in this thread? If so, did you have prior successes with the HGPs? Were the negative results above (stopped by ribs on the far side?) what changed your mind? How far away was the deer when you shot it, and did the bullet hit the shoulder blade on the way in? Thanks.

I'm guessing you know that was me. It pretty much has to be, right? I'm sure if you searched my posts you will find exactly the information you are asking about. But again that was before I shot better bullets.

Prior to 2009, I used the 410 gr HGP after Idaho made more strict muzzleloader rules. I was using the HGP bullets because of accuracy in my guns, and i had shot several deer with them. Some very large muledeer.
They were very accurate bullets in guns that like them. Like I said before. I shot several deer and at the time I believed they were the best that i had tested. As i think about it now, a lot of my opinion back then was probably based on accuracy.
When shooting deer with the bullets they never exited. We were finding almost every HGP bullet we shot. Few ever went all the way through. I'm sure there were shoulder shots at times.
I guess what I was seeing was no consistency when it came to how they were working on game. When we woukd hit deer they mostly ran.
I know that most had to be tracked. Back then I never took a first shot on game over 150 yards. That is something I try to still do now even though I use far better bullets.

In 2009 I started to use my Lee 500S&W bullets. That was when I realized how poor the HGP really were. I was shooting elk in the shoulder and finding the bullet in the hips. Broad side elk shots plowed through. On deer the Lee 500S&W bullets were never found, ever. Shooting through shoulders. Shooting length wise. And when they hit you hear a loud whop. Most of the time taking the animal off it's feet. Both deer and elk.
It was also about this time when I started testing lead for hardness.
The HGP is a super soft bullet in the terms of BHN.
The time frame you are speaking about 2002 to 2006? That was 20 ish years ago. The last HGP bullet I shot was in October 2008. The two point was shot about 100 yards or less. That deer ran and was tracked.
I've shot 23 head of elk total. I've seen at least twice that many killed by family and friends.
Since 2009 I've changed my mind on muzzleloader bullets. I would think that in the last 20 years you have changed your mind on things that you thought were true back then. Maybe not?

My friend Dave Silcock works for the Idaho Fish and Game in the Salmon area. I walked him through switching to the Lee 500S&W bullet. Since then in the last couple years him, his family, and friends have killed 8 head of elk with those bullets. Most blow through and he is using pure lead. You could call him and talk to him about his thoughts on elk bullets.

In the last 20 years no excuse bullets has became a well known and well used bullet when it comes to elk hunting.
Back when I tested them. That was before 2009. I shot them greased and paper patched. They shot pretty well both ways but quality control was not great.

As I said before I'm sure that guys use them and I'm sure that elk are killed with them. But there are better bullets.

Thanks for sharing more of the details of your experience, Ron. Everybody SHOULD change their mind if so indicated by actual results - personal or related by reliable sources. Your willingness to change - for sound reasons and especially after publicly endorsing the HGPs - are an important mark of a person with true integrity and strength of character. Knowing your reasons for first endorsing the HGPs and then for the change, along with the level of experience (yours and others) behind the change, is especially helpful to others who are looking for good elk bullets, and that's why I asked. Thanks for providing good answers!

Here's where I'm coming from in asking the questions: After leaving active duty I was a member of the Army Science Board for several years, and every year we reviewed the Army's efforts to assess the lethalities and vulnerabilities of US weapons, as well as the lethalities and vulnerabilities of foreign weapons. Despite annual budgets running to many tens of $millions and the best efforts of many brilliant scientists and engineers who devote their lives to thousands of carefully designed experiments and extensive computer modeling, the best answers were never more than educated guesses. Why? Because there are way too many variables to explore no matter how much time and effort is spent. BUT - the educated guesses are much better if the research is carefully thought out and as comprehensive as possible within the time and money available, and if all possible field experience is carefully collected and considered too. And that's why the Science Board reviewed the research every year.

When it comes to big game bullet performance, some of the variables are: What were the impact velocity, shot angle, point of impact, path through the body, and bullet expansion along the wound channel? Was the animal calm, alert, panicked, tired, rested? To what extent do we really know most of these variables, let alone control them in any way? Bullet (and arrow) results on game can be really surprising: Last spring black bears were raiding our Montana mountain home on almost a daily basis, and I finally had to shoot a 125 lb yearling in our back yard, at about 20 yards, with a .308 loaded with 165 grain Nosler "Big Game Ballistic Tip" bullets. It ran about 20 yards and flopped down, but because there are neighbors fairly close by and the bear was still twitching, I shot it again. NEITHER BULLET made it through the little bear's chest, even though no major bones were hit! Probably a case of bullets that blew up because the impact velocity was too high, but??? One adult cow elk that I hit from 25 yards with a smallish two-blade broadhead shot from a 50 lb recurve ran 25 yards and collapsed stone dead. That little broadhead went through both sets of shoulder muscles, both lungs, and exited on the far side, but the wound channel was small and clean. My biggest bull was quartering slightly towards me when I shot it with a big 3-blade broadhead fired from a 62 lb compound at 12 yards. The big broadhead made a huge wound channel through one lung, the diaphram, the liver, the paunch, and all but the last inch of hip on the far side - and the bull still ran 800 yards with the arrow in its body! I found it the next day after a long grid search. On the other hand, I killed two other bulls and a cow with the same compound setup, and they died almost as quickly as the cow I killed with a recurve. Why the differences? With my .257 Roberts I've had complete penetration bang-flop kills on deer at ranges of over 300 yards with 117 grain Sierra "Game King" bullets (my dad's favorite through many years of Montana deer and elk hunting)... and I've had the same bullet blow up on a spike at 100 yards, for no apparent reason. I killed my first ML deer, a big doe, at 70 yards with a pure-lead round ball: Complete penetration and she died as quickly as any deer I've killed with a centerfire.

So... I'm interested in hearing EVERYBODY's experience with muzzle-loader bullets for elk - particularly with full-bore all-lead bullets like the HGP that are legal during MT's new Heritage ML season - and will consider everybody's experience when making my choice. The more experiences that everybody shares, the better our "educated guesses" will be.

I am heading to Colorado next September for a muzzleloader elk hunt. I will be shooting a 460 grain Bullshop bullet. It is a proven bullet for putting elk down fast. The No Excuses 460 grain bullet is a good choice for elk as well.

Thanks for sharing more of the details of your experience, Ron. Everybody SHOULD change their mind if so indicated by actual results - personal or related by reliable sources. Your willingness to change - for sound reasons and especially after publicly endorsing the HGPs - are an important mark of a person with true integrity and strength of character. Knowing your reasons for first endorsing the HGPs and then for the change, along with the level of experience (yours and others) behind the change, is especially helpful to others who are looking for good elk bullets, and that's why I asked. Thanks for providing good answers!

Here's where I'm coming from in asking the questions: After leaving active duty I was a member of the Army Science Board for several years, and every year we reviewed the Army's efforts to assess the lethalities and vulnerabilities of US weapons, as well as the lethalities and vulnerabilities of foreign weapons. Despite annual budgets running to many tens of $millions and the best efforts of many brilliant scientists and engineers who devote their lives to thousands of carefully designed experiments and extensive computer modeling, the best answers were never more than educated guesses. Why? Because there are way too many variables to explore no matter how much time and effort is spent. BUT - the educated guesses are much better if the research is carefully thought out and as comprehensive as possible within the time and money available, and if all possible field experience is carefully collected and considered too. And that's why the Science Board reviewed the research every year.

When it comes to big game bullet performance, some of the variables are: What were the impact velocity, shot angle, point of impact, path through the body, and bullet expansion along the wound channel? Was the animal calm, alert, panicked, tired, rested? To what extent do we really know most of these variables, let alone control them in any way? Bullet (and arrow) results on game can be really surprising: Last spring black bears were raiding our Montana mountain home on almost a daily basis, and I finally had to shoot a 125 lb yearling in our back yard, at about 20 yards, with a .308 loaded with 165 grain Nosler "Big Game Ballistic Tip" bullets. It ran about 20 yards and flopped down, but because there are neighbors fairly close by and the bear was still twitching, I shot it again. NEITHER BULLET made it through the little bear's chest, even though no major bones were hit! Probably a case of bullets that blew up because the impact velocity was too high, but??? One adult cow elk that I hit from 25 yards with a smallish two-blade broadhead shot from a 50 lb recurve ran 25 yards and collapsed stone dead. That little broadhead went through both sets of shoulder muscles, both lungs, and exited on the far side, but the wound channel was small and clean. My biggest bull was quartering slightly towards me when I shot it with a big 3-blade broadhead fired from a 62 lb compound at 12 yards. The big broadhead made a huge wound channel through one lung, the diaphram, the liver, the paunch, and all but the last inch of hip on the far side - and the bull still ran 800 yards with the arrow in its body! I found it the next day after a long grid search. On the other hand, I killed two other bulls and a cow with the same compound setup, and they died almost as quickly as the cow I killed with a recurve. Why the differences? With my .257 Roberts I've had complete penetration bang-flop kills on deer at ranges of over 300 yards with 117 grain Sierra "Game King" bullets (my dad's favorite through many years of Montana deer and elk hunting)... and I've had the same bullet blow up on a spike at 100 yards, for no apparent reason. I killed my first ML deer, a big doe, at 70 yards with a pure-lead round ball: Complete penetration and she died as quickly as any deer I've killed with a centerfire.

So... I'm interested in hearing EVERYBODY's experience with muzzle-loader bullets for elk - particularly with full-bore all-lead bullets like the HGP that are legal during MT's new Heritage ML season - and will consider everybody's experience when making my choice. The more experiences that everybody shares, the better our "educated guesses" will be.

Velocity does change things up. The picture of the bullets above that were in the deer were 150 and I think 175 yards.

This cow was about 50 yards with my Lee 500 S&W bullet.

WUDQRU8.jpg

She was quartering to me. the shoulder was crushed

vYhWf5k.jpg

kVH9wf1.jpg

Ouz8aDD.jpg

the elk was very close to private land. It was important to put her down. At the shot she spun and went down. She got back up and went back down. the bullet what was left of it was found in the flank.

oRGebK9.jpg

Oy56lY5.jpg

Your story about how the elk was hit hard and still went 800 yards.
Elk are tough, beyond tough at times. I've seen elk take some serious heat and stay on their feet.

Last edited:
Very interesting study. Other than the bullets that blew up, and a couple that barely expanded, I'm surprised by how well most of the bullets performed: Big mushrooms, but they still held together and penetrated fairly well. I am particularly surprised by the performance of the little Buffalo Ball-ets, which are nearly identical to the Hornady PA conicals: Despite their light weight and pure lead composition, they held together and penetrated well. Given the time and resources available, the study was well thought-out and well done.

Your story about how the elk was hit hard and still went 800 yards.
Elk are tough, beyond tough at times. I've seen elk take some serious heat and stay on their feet.
[/QUOTE]

That story illustrates how much difference the animal's state of alarm can make.... I killed that bull while I was hunting along a ridge in the mountains north of Taos, NM. I heard two bulls bugle - one in front of me and one behind me. I blew my bugle once, and the bull I shot came rushing in and stopped about 12 yards in front of me, all worked up and blowing snot. He saw me draw the bow, and was therefore going into panic when the arrow hit him, so he had two adrenaline rushes going, and that probably contributed a lot to why he went so far with such a massive wound. Initially, the bull went down about 75 yards from where it was hit, but when I approached, it jumped up and ran the 800 yards.

My experience is that elk lethality is very unpredictable: Another bull that I shot with a big three-blade broadhead from 20 yards away was completely calm. The broadhead penetrated both lungs and sliced the top of the bull's heart.... but at impact it just jumped a little, lowered its head, and stood there.... for about 20 minutes! It finally walked slowly forward for about 50 yards and then stopped and stood again. I crept forward and shot a second arrow into the best spot I could see - the bull's hip - in hopes of creating a better blood trail because it looked like maybe the bull was going to go a long way. At the second shot, though, the bull turned, came towards me, and finally went down. It continued to breathe, though, so I finally put a third arrow through the tops of both lungs. After the third shot it died in about 10 seconds.

My oldest boy, who is a pathologist, killed a big Roosevelt bull with a ML sabot out on the Olympic Peninsula, and it died fairly quickly. On the same hunt, a medical school buddy of his shot a Roosevelt bull through both lungs with a .270.... and it took nearly 30 minutes for the elk to die, despite excellent bullet performance. Jack O'Connor wrote about an elk that survived being shot through the lungs with a centerfire rifle. If I remember the story correctly, that elk was killed about a year later - and lung tissue had actually grown through the bullet hole and was lying on the OUTSIDE of the hide!

As I've researched ML bullets for big game online over the last few months, I ran across an interesting post by a guy who worked at a moose hunting camp in Canada which apparently specializes in ML hunts. His extensive experience is that round balls penetrate and kill big animals more reliably than conicals - to the extent that the outfitters kept supplies of round balls and patches on hand and tried to convince all clients who showed up with conicals to switch over before they hunted - because they were tired of tracking and eventually losing moose that had been wounded with conicals. Very surprising post, and I will try to find it again and post a link here. Somebody else pointed out that elk were all but extinct east of the Mississippi by 1850... which argues well for the effectiveness of the round balls in MLs with which the settlers hunted them.

A seldom-considered factor which may impact the penetration of ML bullets is the extent to which ML bullets are stabilized at impact. The original M-16s were made with very high twist barrels so that the resulting over-stabilized bullets would tumble on impact and create much bigger wound channels than .224 FMJ bullets normally do. Vietnam vets that I knew during my Army days told me that the results could be really gruesome - but were also inconsistent. All the combat vets that I knew - all of my professors at West Point and most of the NCOs I encountered in Ranger School and the units I served in as a lieutenant - hated the early M-16s because they didn't function or stop enemy soldiers reliably. Because ML barrels are made with many different twists, and a wide variety of bullets are available, I wonder whether bullet stabilization plays a role in ML bullet performance on game? Could that be part of why the moose camp guy was down on conicals?

Last edited:
Late October 2022…

CAD8198E-DDED-4125-A5D8-E50F64DB52DE.jpegthe cheap eBay parts gun 45 cal…(CVA Optima on Cooper box)

8127DEBB-A986-4294-8BDD-6CB5742C05A3.jpegthe dead elk shot once at 83yds…with….

859A57D8-BB0D-42B6-B75B-6604178E9EE4.jpegthe bullet…a 240 gr Precision Bullets “Dead Center“ pure lead bullet in a sabot atop 110grs of T7 2f ….double lung damage, recovered the bullet just under the hide of the off side…the bull walked 50yds and tipped over.

I’ve always used 54 caliber sidelocks and round balls for our Nevada muleys with great success…when I showed up with this “outdated“
45 cal ”squirrel gun” for our elk hunt….people were offering to loan me their in-line guns left and right.…
I believe bullet placement is key to quick kills…and this crappy underrated gun could group those Dead Center bullets surprisingly well out to 200yds.. I set 100 yds as elk muzzleloader max range.

I don’t recommend using what I used but it did work great for me once and I wouldn’t hesitate to use this gun and load on mule deer out to 200yds…
my 4 cents worth

I have no doubt, Ron, that your 500 S&W bullets are more effective on elk than the HGPs. By all accounts, big bullet plus big flat meplat plus harder lead adds up to more reliable penetration and a bigger wound channel, despite all the uncertainties when it comes to bullet performance on game. My pathologist son and I are moving in that direction with our centerfire rifles (.45-70 for me here in Montana [big bear defense, timber hunting for deer and elk], .45 Long Colt for Chuck for Wisconsin whitetails) for just that reason. It's interesting that the British, with their vast heavy game experience in Africa and India, always considered big bore rifles with solids to be the most effective combination for taking heavy game, and never bought into the American fascination with high velocities, relatively small calibers, and expanding bullets. There are outliers - like Karamojo Bell and his use of 7mm Mausers with solid bullets for elephants - but the outliers seem to be very few.

Although I have a nice RCBS melting pot, I'd prefer not to get into bullet casting at this point, so the first question is.... what's the best commercially available full-bore all-lead conical? Does it load well enough, is it accurate enough, and is it sufficiently lethal if ranges are kept to under 125 yards or so? If the answers to any of those are a definite no.... then I probably will get into casting. So far, though, the sized HGPs meet the loading ease criterion, and initial indications are that they will be accurate enough. That leaves the question of lethality at under 125 yards... and that's why I'm interested in hearing everybody's thoughts and experience - with all ML bullets that they've used for elk.

Late October 2022…

View attachment 30196the cheap eBay parts gun 45 cal…(CVA Optima on Cooper box)

View attachment 30200the dead elk shot once at 83yds…with….

View attachment 30202the bullet…a 240 gr Precision Bullets “Dead Center“ pure lead bullet in a sabot atop 110grs of T7 2f ….double lung damage, recovered the bullet just under the hide of the off side…the bull walked 50yds and tipped over.

I’ve always used 54 caliber sidelocks and round balls for our Nevada muleys with great success…when I showed up with this “outdated“
45 cal ”squirrel gun” for our elk hunt….people were offering to loan me their in-line guns left and right.…
I believe bullet placement is key to quick kills…and this crappy underrated gun could group those Dead Center bullets surprisingly well out to 200yds.. I set 100 yds as elk muzzleloader max range.

I don’t recommend using what I used but it did work great for me once and I wouldn’t hesitate to use this gun and load on mule deer out to 200yds…
my 4 cents worth
I agree... bullet placement is the number one consideration when it comes to lethality, no matter what you're shooting.

Late October 2022…

View attachment 30196the cheap eBay parts gun 45 cal…(CVA Optima on Cooper box)

View attachment 30200the dead elk shot once at 83yds…with….

View attachment 30202the bullet…a 240 gr Precision Bullets “Dead Center“ pure lead bullet in a sabot atop 110grs of T7 2f ….double lung damage, recovered the bullet just under the hide of the off side…the bull walked 50yds and tipped over.

my 4 cents worth
Beautiful elk, by the way!! Congratulations!

Again no excuse bullets are accurate, both greased or paper patched. Many guys are using them now for elk.
My only concern is quality control. But then TC failed to impress me with their quality control.
I bought exactly one box. I found this bullet and said never again.

Attachments

• Screenshot_20221104-132435_Gallery.jpg
    Screenshot_20221104-132435_Gallery.jpg
    65.5 KB · Views: 0
The bull I shot in 2020 was on alert. We rounded the corner in the truck. Two bulls were on the side of the hill. One bull headed for a different state. The bull I shot spent 2 hours staying in just enough brush to keep me from having a good shot.
Finally he moved down the creek to private land. If he would have moved 10 from where he landed he would have been on private land.
I had to put him down where he stood. The best chance was the high shoulder/spine. I would not have considered that shot with a factory made bullet of any kind.

Again no excuse bullets are accurate, both greased or paper patched. Many guys are using them now for elk.
My only concern is quality control. But then TC failed to impress me with their quality control.
I bought exactly one box. I found this bullet and said never again.
Unreal.... I measured the diameters of a bunch of TC MaxiHunters with a dial caliper - most were out of round, and there was lots of variation from bullet to bullet in the nominal diameters of the driving bands. Maybe some could be salvaged with re-sizing...

Maybe the No Excuses 420s are short enough to stabilize in my 1-48 barrel. Among the 5 bullets in the "Test Pack" I ordered from them, the nominal diameters of the bullets bore little relationship to the actual bullet diameters I measured. Perhaps if I ordered the .505 diameter No Excuses, sized them to .501 for easy loading, and then sorted them into weight groups?

Unreal.... I measured the diameters of a bunch of TC MaxiHunters with a dial caliper - most were out of round, and there was lots of variation from bullet to bullet in the nominal diameters of the driving bands. Maybe some could be salvaged with re-sizing...

Maybe the No Excuses 420s are short enough to stabilize in my 1-48 barrel. Among the 5 bullets in the "Test Pack" I ordered from them, the nominal diameters of the bullets bore little relationship to the actual bullet diameters I measured. Perhaps if I ordered the .505 diameter No Excuses, sized them to .501 for easy loading, and then sorted them into weight groups?

That would be a excellent idea. I think I would order an adjustable sizer die to tune it in.
I've also heard that Bullshop bullets are good but I have no knowledge of them other than what people say.

Back