Hornady XTP’s

Modern Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Modern Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Usmc22

Reaction score
I just ordered some hornady XTP’s in 250 and 300 to try with a bunch of different sabots. I was hoping someone on here would have some terminal performance reports on deer?

I've killed several deer with each bullet. In general the XTP's are a solid hunting bullet. Currently in my Accura and Optima Pistol I am using .44 cal Barnes to stay away from lead in the field but the Harvesters are what I shoot on paper and will hunt with them again in a minute if Barnes I use dries up and cannot be gotten. I have several boxes of Harvesters in both .45 and .44 cal in several weights so I won't be running out any time soon.

I have used them with great success over the last 20 plus years. Used by myself and 3 close friends. 50 plus deer taken. Almost all have only a entry hole no exit. Never found a bullet, almost like they explode. Turn insides to jelly. Generally only make it 30 yards or less. We use 200, 240 grain.

Thanks for the encouraging response and those who posted pictures as well. Hopefully my knight UL will like them with one of the sabot combinations I have

I killed several deer with 300 grain XTP Mags, Harvester Crush Ribs and 100 grains of Blackhorn. Accuracy was outstanding but the bullets passed through without much if any expansion. I never made a major bone hit, just ribs. No discernable blood trail on three different deer. I found them but it took a while. Next box I get will be the regular version.

I've killed 13 deer with XTP's two with muzzleloader the others were 2 deer with 357 mag Ruger Blackhawk and 9 with 44 mag Ruger Redhawk. I miss pistol hunting but cannot see sights anymore. Most with 240's. In my Whitelightighting I use 80grs of T7/fff with 240gr bullet.

usmc22, where did you order your XTP's from?

I just ordered a box of 100 .45 cal from Harvester and they recommended black crushed Sabots.... Call them and they will send samples and will give you recommendations...

40 caliber 180 an 200 grain, 44 caliber 240 grain, 45 caliber 250 and 300 grain ( non magnum). All gave outstanding accuracy and VERY fast kills. I've said before. If there were no other bullet than the XTP, I'd still be happy. They've never let me down.

usmc22, where did you order your XTP's from?

I just ordered a box of 100 .45 cal from Harvester and they recommended black crushed Sabots.... Call them and they will send samples and will give you recommendations...
I ordered the 300 grain XTP’s from Powder Valley and the 250’s from Arrowhead Rifles. Thanks for the heads up!

Latest posts

Back