How bad did it get it???

Modern Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Modern Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

clap

Reaction score
Two weeks ago I won a CVA Optima Pro 50 cal. . Gun shop is a hundred mile away , dealer told me they don't make the Pro anymore so he talks me into a Optima with the 26" barrel and says only 20 buck difference and give a 20 pack of power belts. Gun arrives today and it is an Optima but not a Magnum. On the CVA site it says they include a sling now , no sling. In the owners manual it says magnum guns serial # ends in a 01 , 02 , 03 it is a mag but says it should be stamped in the barrel "magnum" , mine end with a 03 but no stamp. What do ya think did I get the shaft. I know I don't have that much in the gun but I think I should get what was on the ticket. So whats your thoughts

Any cva inline made from 1999+ is rated for Magnum loads. If you want to get the info direct just call cva on monday.

Congrats on the win, you will enjoy that optima! I love mine.

frontier gander

Isn't that with pellets only? Still have a max of 100 loose for most of those guns?

What about their new barrels?

Yes 150gr pellet load and 100gr loose powder maximum.

New barrels are the same. 100gr loose powder doesnt burn completely even in a 26 or 28" barrel so there really is no point in trying to burn more.

Makes me wonder how much of the pellets actually burn.

frontier gander

100gr loose powder doesnt burn completely even in a 26 or 28" barrel so there really is no point in trying to burn more.

Have to disagree with that one.... There is a significant jump in velocity from 100 grains on T7 to 120 grains of T7 even in my 24" Remington. However there is a greater jump in the 26" Remington. From what the chrono tells me 110 is about the max for a 24" barrel.

Shooting the Knight Extreme with 90 grains and a 300 grain bullet - I get about 1600 ft/sec across my chrono, with 100 grains the velocity is about 1730 ft/sec, and with 120 grains and the same 300 grain bullet I jump to 1940 ft/sec... Those velocities indicate to me that i am burning the powder and I have not even reached the law of "Deminishing Returns"

If you check the manual (at least the online one for the Optima Elite) It says all break action CVA rifles are "magnum rated". It also says they are rated for 150gr. pellet. It does not specify loose in the chart but in the body of the manual it states that more than 110gr. loose in the magnum rifles "will not completely burn". The way I read that is that 110gr. loose is OK as well as the 150gr. Pellets as long as you are talking black powder equivalent power. Now with all the new subs it gets a little more sticky as to what "maximum" loads are. Also little is said about bullet weight which is another factor that is usually ignored. Heavy bullet of 300gr. or much more with maximum loads is an area I stay away from. Have shot elk double lung with 80gr. of very poor sub powder (the old clean shot from Goex) and a 300gr. sabot bullet with complete pass through. This was out of a short barrel T/C Scout.

I don't think there is a rifle manual in print that lists loads for BH209.

Is there? Just curious. :D

It says all break action CVA rifles are "magnum rated". It also says they are rated for 150gr. pellet.

I wouldn't use more than 2 pellets or 80 grains of loose in it.

Swampman said:
It says all break action CVA rifles are "magnum rated". It also says they are rated for 150gr. pellet.

I wouldn't use more than 2 pellets or 80 grains of loose in a foreign made muzzleloader.

You can believe whatever you want; however, since the CVA barrels are being made at the Bergara location (at least the Optima Elite are) which is the same location that makes the centerfire barrels all of which are overseen by Ed Shilen I have confidence that they are being made right. I agree however that magnum loads are rarely necessary for normal hunting conditions. I would feel confident and safe using the recommended maximum load in the Bergara barrels if that were necessary. I have sent CVA a request to clear up the question as to what is the "maximum" loose powder load in the "magnum" rifles. It has been some time since the original CVA (before buy out by BPI) rifles have had any serious problems. Of course there is the Savage that blew up also so how much gun do you need to be "safe". Possibly some operator error??

U.S made products dont make up for stupidity when someone short starts or over loads their muzzleloader.

Hell, remember that time i loaded my Winchester X-150, ran a horse off that had run up range and then came back and fired the rifle without removing the ramrod? That big 385gr great plains conical and aluminum ramrod had to have produced a lot more pressure than 150gr pellets.

Shots hundreds of Mag loads in that rifle to. Only i used loose powder.

frontier gander said:
That big 385gr great plains conical and aluminum ramrod had to have produced a lot more pressure than 150gr pellets.

And some serious recoil too I'll bet :?

Swampman said:
I think you need an American made muzzleloader to be safe. It's just not possible to know if the others are safe or not.

And what is it that confirms that American made ones are "safe"? I don't mean to be selling the American made things short but there are a lot of firearms made out of the country that apparently seem to be safe. Like most of the Browning rifles, most of the Remington (at least the muzzleloaders now), A large majority of the competition handguns, like Glock, Springfield, HK, Sig Sauer, Walther to mention a few. You apparently do not know the history behind Shilen barrels or think he would sell out and get his name associated with a company making less than safe barrels. Lets not get started on this "low proof stamp" thing again since none of the American made barrels have any proof mark to begin with and the ones on the Spanish barrels are to satisfy a legal requirement to ship out of the country and not the final "proof" limit. As I said before you can think what you will but I don't think it is fair to any new people in this sport to continue with the bad press for CVA which has been going on with little actual fact for a long time and pushed by one person in particular.

clap said:
Two weeks ago I won a CVA Optima Pro 50 cal. . Gun shop is a hundred mile away , dealer told me they don't make the Pro anymore so he talks me into a Optima with the 26" barrel and says only 20 buck difference and give a 20 pack of power belts. Gun arrives today and it is an Optima but not a Magnum. On the CVA site it says they include a sling now , no sling. In the owners manual it says magnum guns serial # ends in a 01 , 02 , 03 it is a mag but says it should be stamped in the barrel "magnum" , mine end with a 03 but no stamp. What do ya think did I get the shaft. I know I don't have that much in the gun but I think I should get what was on the ticket. So whats your thoughts

Had I won an Optima Pro then I would have insisted on an Optima Pro. But you still won a great rifle. Just keep loose powder at 100 grains and pellets can do 150 grains. There sounds like no use in making an issue out of it, but enjoy your rifle. It should shoot just fine..

if it matters to you, my cva optima shot much much better groups with 100 777 pellets over the 150 777 pellets with 250 sw.

Latest posts

Back