How can I make my ramrod black again?

Modern Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Modern Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Bones816

Reaction score
The ramrod for my Accura is pretty scratched up. I’d like to make it all black again so I can put new witness lines on it. What can I use? Shoe polish? Little help please.

You could try painting it but I'm guessing it will just scratch off again, anodized coatings are usually pretty tough. I like using orange tape in a thin wrap, it usually slides through the thimbles with ease and doesn't peel off.
EtG31LM.jpg

I have seen enough game spooked by shiny rifles that I paint everything with Rustoleum Camo flat spray paint. Usually my scope as well. If I ever decide to sell, brake fluid and some very fine steel wool cleans it up like new. I repaint every year, because it does scrape off, just like the anodizing did. Rustoleum also makes a Textured spray paint that I use on things like shooting sticks and black gun stocks. It is the best camo spray I've seen. I was once watching a buck when some hunters came up the canyon with their shiny barreled rifles glinting in the sun. When they were still a 1/2 mile away, the buck moved behind a juniper bush and stayed there until they were long past. I waited until he came out again and shot him. I've watched the same scenario with aoudad sheep, except with no place to hide, they ran for miles. If anyone has tried the aluminum black, I'd like to hear their results.

Great ideas, guys. Thanks for your input. Tape for witness mark is a good thought too.

The Aluminum Black will be fast, easy AND cheap - I’ve used it for years.

I wonder if that aluminum black would work halfway decent on a scorched scope tube.

Back