How far loading jag protrude past barrel?

Modern Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Modern Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Doccbst1

Reaction score
I've shot the TC impact and have it sighted in 44/50 Harvester sabot and 300gr .430 bullet. 100gr Blackhorn.Thefirst shot my polymer loading jag was broken. Either from sabot hitting the jag or concussion.
I finalized shooting using another rod and jag but left my original ramrod in rifle. So, my thoughts are, try a brass jag and hopefully it will survive. The brass jag protrudes about 1/2" past the barrel and does not compromise the bore.
Only other solutions I know are to thread jag on before loading and the remove or remove ramrod before the shot or hunting. What do others do or is this unique to this rifle? I've never had a problem with other inlines .

Attachments

• IMG_20191107_224833197.jpg
    IMG_20191107_224833197.jpg
    28.5 KB · Views: 10
I never liked the taper rod end that the accessories screw into so I bought an aftermarket rod with a squared end and that stopped the breaking of jags and cleaning tips. I've hunted for years with both of my Impacts having the loading jag extend like that with no problems at all.

Like MrTom I don’t use the Tapered Rods either. I use aftermarket Cut Square. I also Avoid The Solid Brass jags, with Thread shank and all Machined from 1 Piece of Brass, The Brass Thread Shanks can break easily. I use Brass Treso Jags with a Steel Shank insert

I avoid the left, And use the 1 on the Right
GDgnB3wl.jpg

Last edited:
I have to use a recessed jag and have several brass ones that fit. I haven't seen a steel/combo jag yet for the tipped bullets but that would be ideal. The polymer (plastic) one that broke was supplied with these bullets. These are the bullets I'll be using for now or very similar type.

Attachments

• f9bbdeb62248e2fc4418a6935e64cf4c_S.jpg
    f9bbdeb62248e2fc4418a6935e64cf4c_S.jpg
    16.1 KB · Views: 5
My 45 1-20 barrel came with a 27" rod that is about flush. Well right off the bat i knew if i added a loading jag its gunna stick out past the muzzle. That always bugged me even if it dont effect accuracy.

Good thing i got a spare delrin rod laying around. I think this is a Lehigh loading jag
yepSKrk.jpg

8j0MSg1.jpg

Nice Fix GM54! I have Delrin Rods in EVERY Muzzleloader i Own. The Easton Ramrod that came with my Knight Mountaineer was DARN Nice, you could unscrew and extended the End of it, I thought it had a Jag on it when i bought it? But fact is I didn’t use the Factory Rod 1 time, since i Bench Shot my Mountaineer EXCLUSIVELY i used 1 of my 2 Dedicated Range Rods. I will have to go look at some Pics of my Mountaineer and See if the Easton Gun Rod had a Jag like i think it did?

Yep it did :lewis: It appeared to be a Nice, well made Jag, But as i said I never used it
UQfRz3Bl.jpg

Last edited:
I've shot the TC impact and have it sighted in 44/50 Harvester sabot and 300gr .430 bullet. 100gr Blackhorn.Thefirst shot my polymer loading jag was broken. Either from sabot hitting the jag or concussion.
I finalized shooting using another rod and jag but left my original ramrod in rifle. So, my thoughts are, try a brass jag and hopefully it will survive. The brass jag protrudes about 1/2" past the barrel and does not compromise the bore.
Only other solutions I know are to thread jag on before loading and the remove or remove ramrod before the shot or hunting. What do others do or is this unique to this rifle? I've never had a problem with other inlines .
That isn't going to hurt anything, other than maybe someone's feelings.
I would imagine that the opposite end of that ramrod is not tapered, flat and threaded. You should turn that system 180°. In other words, put the jag on the other end which should allow the two flat pieces to mate.

The Easton rods that come with new Knights are very nice but IMO its too long. I hate stuff extending past my barrel. Its just another thing to get snagged on stuff. If i could go back and do it again i would have called in the order and had them switch out the rod for a Extreme ramrod. At the range i use nothing but my Lehigh range rod. Best stinking rod ive ever owned. Built like a tank.

The best option is a Spinjag giRamRod with jag. They will cut them to fit your barrel with the jag on the rod. Cost about $50 with the jag. Tapered or not. Loading only or loading and cleaning.
https://www.spinjag.com/giramrod.php
sj_illo_with_callouts.gif

sjloader.jpg

I would imagine that the opposite end of that ramrod is not tapered, flat and threaded. You should turn that system 180°. In other words, put the jag on the other end which should allow the two flat pieces to mate.

The Impact rods I have are threaded only on the tapered end.

Only steel shank jag madeI see is by Blackhorn, Western Powders 1 1/2" long. More
Yes, for some odd reason the other end isn't threaded, I could possibly thread at 10/32 but would still be that troublesome 1/2 inch past the barrel.

Only steel shank jag madeI see is by Blackhorn, Western Powders 1 1/2" long. More

Yes, for some odd reason the other end isn't threaded, I could possibly thread at 10/32 but would still be that troublesome 1/2 inch past the barrel.
Owned lots of muzzleloaders and don't remember a one that wasn't threaded on each end. But, there are always exceptions.
There are a lot of places that sell replacement ramrods. If that 1/2" bothers you, find a different length ramrod, or cut 1/2" off.
BUT...……….. MAKE DANG SURE YOU RELOCATE THE WITNESS MARK.

Owned lots of muzzleloaders and don't remember a one that wasn't threaded on each end. But, there are always exceptions.
There are a lot of places that sell replacement ramrods. If that 1/2" bothers you, find a different length ramrod, or cut 1/2" off.
BUT...……….. MAKE DANG SURE YOU RELOCATE THE WITNESS MARK.
I'm more concerned that the sabot might hit the jag and affect accuracy. Aesthetics might be a 5% factor, doesn't stick out far enough to worry about for me. I looked at the power rods but from what I see with them jag must be installed and removed after loading. I also looked at the Cains Super Rods may be more functional for hunting. Add the Western jag, that or the spin jag about same price. I just hope the sabot doesn't hit the jag on a shot, sitting in the woods now.
Thanks for reply

I'm more concerned that the sabot might hit the jag and affect accuracy......

Do not worry about the sabot and it won't affect your accuracy. There's a number of youtube videos showing sabots leaving the bore. The millisecond they start to leave the bore, the bullet is already on its way. Well before someone goes nuts on that statement, if the bullet and sabot are correct and not lubricated, the bullet will leave the sabot as the sabot exits the bore. I shot many TC Encores and Pro Hunters with a Barnes loading jag sticking WAY out there. Its really not an issue for hunting or for accuracy.

Easy, peasy... Cut it back .5" then drill & tap. Taper goes into the stock and u have the perfect rod.

Do not worry about the sabot and it won't affect your accuracy. There's a number of youtube videos showing sabots leaving the bore. The millisecond they start to leave the bore, the bullet is already on its way. Well before someone goes nuts on that statement, if the bullet and sabot are correct and not lubricated, the bullet will leave the sabot as the sabot exits the bore. I shot many TC Encores and Pro Hunters with a Barnes loading jag sticking WAY out there. Its really not an issue for hunting or for accuracy.
My spinjag also sticks out an inch. Hasn't been an influence on poi at the range where i leave it in the Knight.

Latest posts

Back