How I choose To Live Out My Life

Modern Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Modern Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Muley Hunter

Reaction score
We all make choices in how we decide to live. I'm not that happy with how i'm living now. I spend way too much time indoors and way-way too much time on the computer. I take the pooch out every day for a hike in the mountains, but it's not enough. Not near enough. 

I'm saving up to have a custom Hawken built, but that in itself won't change anything. Of course i'll be much happier with the gun than my present gun, but my lifestyle will be the same. I need to change and change a lot.

My original plan was to be more active in BP shoots and go to some rondy's. Since i'll have the Hawken that i'll be proud to show up with it will be more fun. Do the dress up like a mountain man thing too.

Then I realized that's not me. I don't play make believe and making believe i'm a mountain man would rub me the wrong way. I have to be me. So, i'm going to do what I wanted to do many years ago. No time left to just think about it and sit on my ass and do nothing.

The only way I can be a mountain man is to become one. To not dress up like a MM for a rondy, but to dress like one full time. To spend much more time in the mountains than indoors. To hunt for all I can get tags for. To try and eat nothing but game meat. Whatever it is. Even bear meat. I'll learn to eat it. Even hunt for coyote, because I can do it year around. It's better than range sessions to stay sharp. Plus, I can sell the pelts. Maybe even do some trapping.

I can't find a damn cabin to live in, so i'm going to get a tent and stay in the high mountains from spring to fall. I can also eat lots of brookies from the high mountain creeks. My dog will love living there. As will I. I'll keep the apartment for winter. I'll dump all modern crap. TV, internet/computers, phone, GPS, binos etc. Try and live as they did in 1840 as much as possible. I'll get more and more grubby as time goes on. I'll be known here as Pete the long haired, bearded mountain man. Let the idiots laugh. I'll be happy and i'll be me. No phony fronts.

I'd like to get a mule, but it isn't practical when I come to town and what do I do with my dog? My Jeep will have to be my mule. I'm thinking of dumping the top. After all, mules don't have tops. Just strip it down for the mountains.

So, I need to get a few things done before turning off my internet. I'll be here for a few, but at some point i'll be gone. Consider this a goodbye. When I disappear you'll know why now. Turning off the tv and internet will save me $140 a month I can put towards the Hawken. That's my priority now.

Good luck!  I wish you well in fulfilling your dreams.  You might have already thought of this but you might have to move your tent once in awhile to avoid being ticketed.  I think you can only camp on public land in one place for something like two weeks?  I'm not sure how long, you might want to check into it.

CoHiCntry said:
Good luck!  I wish you well in fulfilling your dreams.  You might have already thought of this but you might have to move your tent once in awhile to avoid being ticketed.  I think you can only camp on public land in one place for something like two weeks?  I'm not sure how long, you might want to check into it.
Pete look around at some of the ranches in your area, some are always looking for folks that will look after their places. Have a few friends that take care of ranches in northern Colorado as ranch hands. Their jobs are fixing fences, looking out for the cattle, running off unwanted animals and folks. They both get paid a small salary, a cabin to stay in (firewood for cooking and heat) and a quarter of beef when needed. They are out and about year round, probably in the best shape they have been in 40 years and love it.

Something to consider.

Life is short, and by the time we realize it...it's even shorter than expected.  Keep your options open 'Claw and good luck in full-filling your desires whenever and wherever they may take you. 

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
p.s. Maybe I'll see you sometime on the TV show Mountain Men.  I can then brag and say I know that grumpy 'ol man!  :lol: ;)

Conner..................Cripes man! I'm not looking to go to work. That life is over. I want solitude and peace.

Thanks for the thought though. It would be appealing if I was younger.

CoHiCntry said:
I didn't think it was even that long? I thought we had a week before moving to a new spot.

My Jeep is pretty capable. I think I can get to spots that a wardens truck can't do. So, i'll stay as long as I can get away with. They won't know how long i've been there until they find me. I'll make sure i'm hidden from seeing me from the air.

Bear Claw said:
Conner..................Cripes man! I'm not looking to go to work. That life is over. I want solitude and peace.

Thanks for the thought though. It would be appealing if I was younger.
My one friend is a week older than me retired at 40 years of age, never married and had the best looking gals trying to tie him down. Started working for a ranch outside Livermore CO as just a guard on a 100,000 acre ranch. Lots of trespasser to run off (hunters and hikers coming into the private area).  He was furnished a one room log cabin, small wage for his service, mostly busy during weekends and hunting seasons. 

Rod got bore and started a security service for the area about 12 years ago keeping an eye on cabins that were used only on weekends by the owners. He has found several others that wanted his life style and are now living free with only working on weekends doing as my friend (keeping their eyes and ears open to their surrounds). To me liking to be outdoors that would be the perfect retirement. Oh, the local Sheriff Department provides them will walkie talkies to have their services available if needed. That's pretty neat.

If I could find a rancher or farmer that needs the help in Montana or Wyoming,I would leave Indiana in a month.I got rid of my cable tv and saved $129.00 a month.
all I have now is local channels to keep up with news and the weather.

Earlier this year Safeway Foods was looking for some guys to work in WY on their large piece of property in the southern part of the state.

Tip............Don't go to St Elmo on the 4th of July weekend. Where did all these people come from? It's a dirt road going up there. There's also a 4WD back road which I took going up. Stupidly I took the regular dirt road coming back and about gagged to death on all the dust created from the cars coming up. That will teach me for putting the top down.

I already have a lung problem. That didn't help.

Pete, what about all the "Big Foots" running around. I seen on TV the guys from Mountain Monsters always get close but each week fail at catching them.   There must be 100's.   :shock:

Smokin' Joe said:
Pete, what about all the "Big Foots" running around. I seen on TV the guys from Mountain Monsters always get close but each week fail at catching them.   There must be 100's.   :shock:
I'll shoot the feckers.

Smokin' Joe said:
Pete, what about all the "Big Foots" running around.
Pete has had experiences with them over the years, just ask him. :roll: Never did say what sex they were, that one he keeps to himself but just grins ....  :heart:   :drunken:

Kentucky Colonel said:
Just how are we gonna give Pete grief if he moves off the grid and starts dating bigfoot? :?:
Rechargeable electric razor for him and his new found girl friend. Hang up the soap on a rope Pete.   :Wow:  :slaps:

Latest posts

Back