How many separate their 209 Primers by Length?

Modern Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Modern Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

billyboy*

Reaction score
How many separate their 209 Primers by Length?
I know, Totally Anal.
! don't Like Firing 209 Primers that are Too Short. They can Leak, Ruin the Life of your Breech Plug & can be a Filthy Mess to Clean.
All the ones that are under .297" Long go in a Box Marked *Shotgun Shells Only!*
If they are .300" Long & Over they are used in Factory TC Omega & Encore Breech Plugs.
And Yes, I have Muzzleloaders that use LRMP Modules & Direct Ignition.

I have not in the past, always used W209 and they've always been plenty long. According to what Ron L and some other folks have mentioned lately, they aren't quite as long or as consistent. So I guess I'll need to measure and sort, since all of my rifles don't like short primers. I'm getting close to running out of my old stock of W209's where I know they are all good by default. I have quite a few "newer" packs of primers that until reading about them being shorter, just assumed they would be fine.

Fwiw, I don't think its being to anal. I think its smart, especially if you know what your rifle likes.

I measure mine. I found Winchesters to vary quite a bit in length and the need to sort was imperative to get the right amount of crush on the primer. I am going to switch to CCI or Federal as soon as I can find some as I have heard they are a little more consistent in length.

Measuring primers can become tiresome. One approach is to learn the average length of a primer brand. Once one learns the average length of a particular brand of shotgun primers, one can establish a length for the breech plug. A breech plug can be purchased to fit one's rifle, and a brand of primers. The breech plug is made so it 'crushes' the chosen primer brand, which eliminates blow by.

The average length of CCI primers, and Federal 209A primers is about the same. It is also true the average headspace of all Omega rifles is about the same. One can purchase one breech plug for all of one's Omega rifles, and for every box of CCI, and 209A primers.

At one time one could use OEM Omega breech plugs, and the longer W209 primers, and achieve enough 'crush' for blow by free shooting. At one time about half of W209 primers worked without blow by in Omega rifles using OEM breech plugs. It seems anymore W209 primers don't often 'crush' using an OEM breech plug.

Currently this shooter has one Bestill Creations breech plug sized to use CCI, or 209A primers in Omega rifles, without measuring. One can also use shorter W209 primers in this plug, and rifles, but one must measure to find usable W209 primers.

Currently this shooter has one Bestill Creations breech plug sized to use CCI, or 209A primers in a Knight Ultra-Lite, without measuring. One can also use shorter W209 primers in this plug, and rifles, but one must measure to find usable W209 primers.

Currently this shooter has one Bestill Creations breech plug sized to use Remington STS primers in Omega rifles, without measuring. STS primers are almost all the same length.

Having things set up so there is zero blow by is nice, quite nice.

I use W209's in all of my ML's (Knight bolt rifles) and they certainly do vary somewhat in length, but... I have shimmed the BP to create enough 'primer crush' that it does not matter which of the variable lengths that I use. I achieve some 'crush' on some primers and more 'crush' on others.

Spent primers

1-19-Spent-Primers.jpg

Sample of a Box of (100) Winchester W209 Primers

(28) .296” & Under (Reserved for Shotgun Shells Only)
(35) .297” - .299” (For most of my Breech Plugs including Bestill Customs)
(37) .300” + (For TC Omega & Encore OEM Breech Plugs)

Last edited:
For my equipment:

W209 primer 0.302" and longer shot in an Omega using the OEM breech plug

W209 primer 0.298" and shorter shot in an Omega, and UltraLite using Bestill' breech plug

W209 primer 0.2985" to 0.3015" shot in an Omega using an o-ring in a OEM plug with primer socket milled 0.018" deeper.

Last edited:
Compress 0.005” on your primer of choice and there’s no need to sort.

Using the W209 primers in all of my current in-lines I have only one gun that uses a rubber o-ring to snub up the primer to prevent leakage. All others shoot very clean. All CVA too. My Impacts shoot clean using just about any primer.

I never measure my 209's as my shotgun shells don't seem to care and my Muzzleloaders use #11s.

I headspace my SML's for a .003 - .005 crush fit with Federal 209A primers. Don't use anything else so no need to measure.

! don't Like Firing 209 Primers that are Too Short. They can Leak, Ruin the Life of your Breech Plug & can be a Filthy Mess to Clean.

What does leaking do? Will this affect the 100 yard accuracy?

I have a TC Triumph and it’s always a filthy mess when I’m done shooting.

A number of things and none are good. The flash hole will erode faster since more blowby escapes through the flash hole. An oring should be a simple fix for a Triumph.

I wasn’t aware that this was an issue.

Is there a standard size O-ring we should use? I would assume we‘d need to get them in bulk?

I would think these would be non reusable.

Latest posts

Back