How much kick does a Muzzleloader have?

Modern Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Modern Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Hod

Reaction score
Hello this is my first post on this fourm. I have never fired a muzzleloader before and was wondering how much kick it has? I have a .308 win and was wondering if it is more or less than this. Thanks

Hope to learn alot of stuff hear.

Hod

The answer depends. If you use a heavier bullet and more powder it will have more recoil. Some of the lighter bullets and a lower powder load and it is of course less. With a 250 grain bullet recoil is not bad in my experience, nothing like a slug shotgun. I do not find most standard loads much worse than a .308.
A good recoil pad (aftermarket) can help alot. Good shooting.

Thanks for the info. That is were I am now. I have a short berrel shot gun and it kicks harder than a mule when using slugs. With Indiana laws you can not use riles.

Hod

I can to ML rifles after shooting Africa caliber rifles (up to .577 Nitro), and I thought they didn't have any recoil. ;)

Of course there is some, but it is easy to manage. You can always start low and work up to heavy bullets and big powder charges, and get used to the recoill.

jim

One thing about muzzleloaders.. It is VERY easy to vary the bullet weight and powder charge weight. If recoil is an issue use bullets such as the 200gr Shockwave or 200gr DeadCenter. 80 to 100gr of Triple Se7en will do just fine out to 120-140yds.

ML Recoil

I assume that you are referring to felt recoil. The kick you feel depends a lot on how you hold the rifle, weight of rifle, stock drop, and as mentioned the load and recoil absorbing devices. Personally I don't think any normal person enjoys recoil because it can be punishment. It is however a necessity if we are to shoot rifles or shotguns. I use a load that will do the job I want but don't see a need to send a bullet down range with enough energy to shoot through two animals I am hunting. I like mild recoil combined with very careful bullet placement. MY ML has a SIMS recoil pad and I shoot book less than maximum loads. The bottom line is you can design your own load and select your own punishment.

I think the original qiestion was how the recoil compares to a 308. Some have partially answered about powders charge and bullet weight. Now, I shoot 43 grains of 4759 under a 250 grain SST. Some will say that should be pretty mild :wink: . IMO it recoils slightly more than my 30-06 which I think recoils at little harder than a 308. Let me say this. When your at the range you'll notice the recoil. When you're shooting at a deer you'll never feel it. Hopefully this helps a little and doesn't discourage your and good luck.

Yes you can adjust the Load to get different recoil.But weight of the Rifle makes a difference.I have a heavy Sidelock than has no recoil.Have a lite Inline that you will feel.

oneshot

Well I guess what I am getting at is that I am a union laboer and need to keep working after I fire a muzzleloader a couple times. Not having a broken shoulder. Thanks for all the input.

Hod

Hod said:
Well I guess what I am getting at is that I am a union laboer and need to keep working after I fire a muzzleloader a couple times. Not having a broken shoulder. Thanks for all the input.

Hod

:D Naw, it won't break anything, unless you're very very frail :wink:

Hod you can use a rifle in Indiana this year in pistol calibers, look at the new game regs. But it is only during regular firearms season.

Today I installed two 11 ounce Mercury recoil reducers in my ML tupperware stock. Since they weigh 22 ounces recoil will be recuced but whether these mercury filled deals helps reduce felt recoil I am waiting to see. When you shake them you can feel something like liquid inside. The foam expanding insulating stuff I filled the space around them is drying. I am anxious to see just how this works in the real world. They are designed to use one in a shotgun stock but I figured two should double the pleasure. The extra weight will not be a problem as I hunt from and inclosed stand.

Sims makes recoil pads for alot of guns out there now, I have one on my Encore and it is Excelent at reducing recoil.

Matt

Hi,

I am a newcomer to muzzleloaders and can relate to your anxiety. I have a 30-06 and an 8mm rifle, both sporters which I shoot a bit and a 12 gauge shotgun. I am also not fond of recoil.

I have a Knight muzzleloader which shoots a 320 gr cast flat nosed bullet (cast by my friend and business partner) with 80 gr of 2F black powder very comfortably for me. The recoil is very pleasant and it is fun to shoot. I guess there are much more powerful guns around. I am never going to be able to hunt anything that needs a cannon myself, so I'm happy with what I have. Like you, I'm here to learn more.

Good luck!

ML recoil

The nice thing about Muzzleloaders is that the wide variety of bullet weights available. With the use of a sabot, you can use some fairly "light" bullets by muzzleloader standards of old.

I'd suggest you find a 8 pound or so rifle with a 1:28 twist barrel in .50 cal and shoot 195 precision rifle bullets (or similar) with 80 grains or so of 777. That rifle/bullet/powder charge combo should not kick much more than your .308 with 180 grain bullets.

Here is a link to a bullet selection chart. http://www.prbullet.com/chart.htm A lot of bullet manufacturers have charts to help you select a bullet that is most likely to shoot accurately in the twist of barrel you have. Just find a "light" bullet, stick it in the appropriate sabot and go have some fun.

Now if your state has rules like Oregon (doesn't allow sabots) then maybe you'd be better off with a slower twist rifle and round balls to have less recoil.

I have not found a load in my Omega that kicked more then my .280 Remington. Maybe its because I havent jumped over 100gr of powder or over 350gr bullets :?:

Ozark, I think one may knock you down then the other will pick you back up. Should work ok. :wink:

OK, what I really wanted to say was that felt recoil is largely a function of stock design and fit to the shooter. The Omega kicks me like a mule yet seems fine for most. Same is true of a derned old 94 Winchester... I would rather shoot a good bolt action in .338 Win Mag 5 times as shoot a 94 30-30 once. Some guns/designs are just made to punish some people. :)

On the other hand, my Whites with bullets weighing up to 550 grains ahead of fairly stiff charges are easily managed. Fit of rifle and position of scope are far more important to my old bod than the strength of any reasonable load.

Then there is the G2 Contender, it kicks like a mule and has brought blood more than once - but I still really like that little rifle.

If you are reasonably comfortable with an '06 or 12 gauge, a modern muzzleloader should pose no major challenge to your well-being. You'll probably find the recoil is very different and much more tolerable.

hi

i am getting a 45. cal kentucky rifle but i was wondering if recoil would be an issue. Im am 15 years old and ive shot a 270. will the recoil be similar?

thanks

You are probably going to shoot patched ball? Don't worry about recoil if that is the case... very mild.

Back