Howdy... AZ

Modern Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Modern Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
New to this forum, but not to burning black powder/substitutes. I'm in the Phoenix-metro area, and like to go to the nearby national forest to fire off a few (well ok, maybe more than a few) rounds -- more often than not, including one or more of my BP revolvers.

I'm not really into BP longarms or single-shot pistols, favoring BP revolvers, and have curated my collection of shooters over the last year or so to an ideal assortment (for me), including an 1847 Walker, 1849 Pocket, 1860 Army Sheriff, 1861 Navy, and 1862 Pocket Police -- all reproductions. Plus, one original... an 1849 Pocket manufactured in 1852 -- still in solid enough condition to shoot (but I don't!).

Cheers!
Greg

Welcome, lived over that way (Tempe) for a while back in '96.

Hello Greg, welcome to the forum.

Thanks, UndeadPoet!

I had accumulated a lot of BP revolvers, many of which I wasn't shooting for a variety of reasons. I sold off the ones getting the least of my attention, and have now settled on "just shooters" -- except for the antique, which I'm tempted to try shooting, but haven't... yet. ;-)

One of the revolvers I sold was a stainless steel ROA -- while it was super strong, accurate, easy to clean, and even easier to shoot, it just didn't fit in with my idea of BP shooting. If I want real power, I have a Super Blackhawk in 44 mag. If I want to re-enact an Old West fantasy, any of the repros is more "authentic" than the Ruger. And when I want to make a big "boom" with tons of smoke, well, that's why I like the Walker so much!

My favorite to shoot is the Walker. My favorite to "hold" is the original '49 Pocket. My favorite to look at is the '62 Pocket -- such beautiful lines!

And amazingly (or perhaps not), of all the firearms I own -- BP and smokeless -- the winner with the lightest, most crisp trigger goes to... my original Colt 1849 Pocket. Trigger pull is a consistent 1 pound, 6 ounces. Yet it doesn't feel "hair trigger" light -- it's crisp, and requires a distinct (albeit light) "pull" to actuate and light off a round.

Here's the array...
BP-revolvers-3k-3k-02282022.jpg

Sounds like a nice collection. Welcome!

Latest posts

Back