Hunstman/SMI combo?

Modern Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Modern Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Head Hunter

Reaction score
I have a new idea and would like some feedback on it. There are some states that I may want to hunt that do not allow smokeless powder and there are also states that I would like to use smokeless. Would it be possible to buy an NEF Huntsman muzzleloader for BP states and also buy an SMI barrel for smokeless states? Would I be able to switch out barrels or is the work done by SMI permanent?

Also, I bought my younger brother a CVA Magnum a few years back. He has only shot it a few times, but with all the talk about CVA blow ups I don't want him to shoot it any more. Where can I find the best prices on the Hunstman that will replace the CVA?

Randy, if you are reading this, do you still have any Disc Elites or do you sell the Huntsman?

The barrel would still be able to be changed, but I see NO reason to take the SMI barrel off to put the non smokeless ML barrel back on. You can shoot black,pyro,T7... in the SMI just the same as you could in the no smokeless.

As easy as it will be to change barrels I would do so only to keep the smokeless as pristine as possible.

Just my thoughts...

HighTechRedneck said:
The barrel would still be able to be changed, but I see NO reason to take the SMI barrel off to put the non smokeless ML barrel back on. You can shoot black,pyro,T7... in the SMI just the same as you could in the no smokeless.
That goes for the Savage as well.

i gotta go with indiana hunter on this one both zeroed with pet loads and still fit the same sounds good!

I guess that IndianaHunter and savageml10-2 are correct. I was just thinking about the fact that I like to shoot enough that resighting it would be NO big deal to me.

My reasoning for buying the Hunstman was that I would have to buy an NEF receiver for SMI to use anyway, so instead of buying a shotgun, why not buy a BP rifle and have the BP barrel set up for BP states. Any thoughts on this?

I'd probably base such a project on either an H&R Ultra or an NEF Handi-Rifle (CF, of course).

Why?

1) I'd have the monte carlo buttstock which would be much better for scope use.

2) The CF barrel (in whichever calibre) would add versatility to the setup.

3) H&R/NEF is willing to fit all styles of barrels (size permitting) to their rifle receivers while shotgun (and I expect BP) receivers are limited to low pressure applications. Check with H&R/NEF for the details if this angle is of concern.

Head Hunter said:
My reasoning for buying the Hunstman was that I would have to buy an NEF receiver for SMI to use anyway, so instead of buying a shotgun, why not buy a BP rifle and have the BP barrel set up for BP states. Any thoughts on this?

Your thinking is sound... I see no real reason why its not a good idea... However, there are advantages to better stocks and triggers on the other models mentioned.

FWF said:
I'd probably base such a project on either an H&R Ultra or an NEF Handi-Rifle (CF, of course).

Why?

1) I'd have the monte carlo buttstock which would be much better for scope use.

2) The CF barrel (in whichever calibre) would add versatility to the setup.

3) H&R/NEF is willing to fit all styles of barrels (size permitting) to their rifle receivers while shotgun (and I expect BP) receivers are limited to low pressure applications. Check with H&R/NEF for the details if this angle is of concern.

Larry, I do not believe there is any difference in frames in the NEF/H&R just the proof testing of the barrels for rifles vs.. Shotguns and muzzleloaders...

Back