hunt what you wanted, no damn rules ...

Modern Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Modern Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Buck Conner1

Reaction score
NAW_debate_1009A.jpg
In the good old days you could hunt what you wanted, no damn rules ...​

It sure would be a relief... 

The rangers at Tosohatchee who came here from Kentucky said you needed to be a Philadelphia lawyer to come from out of state and begin hunting. It was tongue and cheek, but it is a lot harder now, everywhere.

I moved from outside Philly, knew all the Chester, Bucks and Lancaster law enforcement being a State of Pennsylvania Animal Control Agent (fancy name for a legal game killer). I could do pretty much anything I wanted and get away with (spooled). Moved to Colorado and fell in with the DOW along with Laramie County Sheriff Department as a deputy (owned horses and a 6 horse trailer). The Sheriff loved folks with equipment they had access to and it was free so they make you a deputy.  The best part was I lived 20 miles from Loveland CO and about the same from Estes Park, worked for the phone company and was the only person for 15 miles around with a private phone line. Guess who got called for all the problems in the area to deal with them until a real deputy could get there (usually 45-50 minutes on your own). You learned real fast that lesson, you became a real pain to poachers and other law breakers (hell I was famous for my saw-off 16 ga. double barreled Springfield shotgun). Several big mouth poachers found out real close when hit across the face with it when they tried to grab it. The sheriff would look the other way when a complaint would be registered.  

Oh for the good old days one more time. Pete would have been a good counter part ....   :Red tup: :ttups:

Supposedly, if you lived far enough in the bush you could hunt for food with no tags needed. You have to be pretty deep though and have no convenient access to stores.

I've tried to work that out for years, but it's hard. You can't homestead on NF land. So, all I can do is try to talk someone who has land to let me stay on it. No joy so far.

Have a friend that has lived in a tipi in the National Forest for 40 years, when caught he just moves down the road or over a few hills and sets up again.  Uses the YMCA once a week to get cleaned up and then back to camp, it works.

Bear Claw said:
My bud lives in a tipi. No thanks. I want a cabin. I'm a white man.
 My friend that lives in a tipi wouldn't want a cabin, that means you gather unneeded items, he's Chinese.

Gathering junk is not my style. I'm more the type who throws something out and then needs it later.

Besides, with a cabin you don't have to move around like a hermit and can have some stuff.

A cabin in deep timber with a creek running next to it and lots of game would be perfect. Then I could say FTW and leave me alone.

Yep, the good ole boys back in the good ole days  killed the deer and turkeys in WV to near extinction.  For many years seeing a deer track was a thrill.  The deer were re-stocked from MI.  Turkeys were restocked too.

Even with all the rules there are plenty of poachers in every state that have to over harvest.

We're down to about 2/3 of ideal deer herd, but the DOW just keeps pumping out the deer tags because they're greedy and can't manage the money they have.

Lived in a very isolated area for years and could get away with not following Game Laws.

Seems everyone around for miles hunted like this. Agents said well when they run out of Game they will hunt elsewhere.

oneshot

I had a neighbor that ran a pretty good herd of steers, he was always moving them from one range to another (summer then winter). The area got a new game warden and it didn't take long to figure that many of these old rancher were set in their ways. The warden learned to not piss these guys off after having to walk for long distances when someone shot holes in his truck cooling system or shot when he was snooping around their ranches without permission..  After several years of on the job he finally figured out where he was on the peeking order.

Another neighbor had been in the high country and ran across some elk and a few mulies. They had been cutting firewood and had a full load on a 2 ton flatbed. When they stopped at the country store the game warden was there and greeted them. After getting gas and crawled back in the truck the warden told them they better get going before their truck bleed to death.  :eek:   :roll:   :pale:

Latest posts

Back