Hunting Handgun

Modern Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Modern Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

rugerbh103

Reaction score
VA has made muzzle loading pistols legal for deer. They have to be at least .45 and have a minimum 50 grain charge. Most of the traditionally styled handguns I see have a max charge around 35 grains. The Pedersoli Bounty Hunter looks good, but the manual says 35 grains is it. Any suggestions.

Does it have to be a traditional style handgun? If not CVA makes one off the Optima rifle. And most are shooting that with 70 grains of powder.

I have the cva v2 in a .50 and yes its a inline type pisol. You might be able to try a cva prospector pistol, its a copy of a tingle the one i have is in .45 and i think you might be able to go 50gr in them but that would be about max, would have to check on that for sure.

rugerbh103 said:
VA has made muzzle loading pistols legal for deer. They have to be at least .45 and have a minimum 50 grain charge. Most of the traditionally styled handguns I see have a max charge around 35 grains. The Pedersoli Bounty Hunter looks good, but the manual says 35 grains is it. Any suggestions.
.50 cal. is recommended for a reason. I have the CVA Optima V2 pistol using 80gr volume of blackthorn its very accurate even out to 100 yds. Hope to try it out this Nov. I recommend it over anything less powerful!

rugerbh103 said:
.50 cal. is recommended for a reason. I have the CVA Optima V2 pistol using 80gr volume of blackhorn its very accurate even out to 100 yds. Hope to try it out this Nov. I recommend it over anything less powerful!

Latest posts

Back