Hunting season this year?

Modern Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Modern Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

exMember

Reaction score
Whats every ones plan?

My dad and I have zero points for deer or elk,along with my brother. I thought about putting in for new mexico buck, but thats a little pricey at $370. Plus the fuel driving back and forth.

We do live in a unit that has over the counter bull elk tags, but this is a very hard area to hunt. Thick timber, straight up and down. Any easy access point is full of trucks and hunters. 70-80% private land.

Going to search my maps here in a bit and see what I can find for any hidden hunting areas that may hold some elk during the season.

I'll probably hunt east Texas like always.  Likely just wack a doe in December like always.  Hope for a stray hog here and there to keep my attention, like always.  And, last but not least, take a nap in the blind after eating all my snacks.  Like always.

I usually hunt Turkey's in the spring here in CT on both state and private land. My 15 year old son has his hunting license now so I will concentrate my efforts on successful gobbler hunts for him during youth season which opens a week earlier than the regular season. He's been out with me before but this will be the first season for him behind the trigger. He's looking forward to it...none of his school age friends hunt, and about 2 other kids he knows fish. I hope to keep him interested! In the fall we will hunt for deer in the same places that we hunt turkey. He had yet to experience the taking of a whitetail so if we're lucky, that will be an eye opener for him. 

In the off season, we go to trailwalk Muzzleloader shoots at our club every month to keep sharp and it a good confidence booster to shoot off hand at various sized targets at various distances. He has a .54 TC renegade that he shoots pretty darn well...

My brother and I will be heading down to Loris, SC. the end of March for some Turkey hunting.  I have some friends down there and our hunts will be on private farms, which is very nice.  After that hunt I may head down to Unionville, Missouri for some more turkey hunting.  There's a crazy group from New York that I'll meet up with which is always a good time.  The nice thing about Missouri is the hunt ends at 1:00 PM each day.  You get a lot of time to just kick back and relax.

I will be calling bull elk for my wife, Archery , ML cow elk hunting the ranch , Draw on deer so won't know about that until June 15th ,,
Oh forgot Wife bear tag ,Me cougar tag ,Then ,,,the under counter gut shoot wolf
tag ,,, LOL ,,

Deer season is still open in 2 of the areas here. After that is hog hunting until the second week in March when turkey opens.
The worse time for me is May thru August when there's nothing except hogs and rabbits to hunt and it's hot as hell.

IDK what I am doing. I had a great year. I took hog and deer. I filled the freezer with sea trout and black drum. I get to go salt water fishing again with friends in February. 

I will likely go for deer again. Turkey might be nice if I can get to. The new Pendersoli dbl barrel would be nice to break in. If I find a friend that wants a hog, I will happily go. But, I have wondered if I should look at scheduling an elk hunt... I am not sure if I will do that this year, but am toying with the idea. Its all about money, time, and opportunity. Work and family do make things more difficult to schedule. We'll see. I am already promised to travel for my first Spartan run so maybe next year for the elk.

Moose. I dream of moose. And, griz. But, that, I think is just that. A dream.

A few old friends and myself are looking at applying for buffalo permits here in Utah. Have never hunted for them here, always went east to KS or NE, new experience for us.

I have a full plate this year. 

Elk.......I have a choice between a muzzleloader cow tag and a bull tag for 2nd, 3rd, or 4th rifle seasons. I can draw both of those with no points, so I just have to decide which way to go.

Muley's...........2nd or 3rd rifle season for a buck. Only a 40% chance of that tag with no points. I did get it the last 3 years. As a backup and 2nd pick I can get a doe tag that's guaranteed. So, i'll have a deer tag too either way.

Bear.......It's a rifle tag for the whole month of Sept. Easy to get in the draw with no points.

I know I said I was just going to hunt for deer from now on. I guess i'm not ready to do that yet. I'll do my best to get the meat out and if I can't i'll get help.

My plan is to not go in muzzie season as a protest to the current BS Colorado has dealt hunters. Im not going with the archery children. I will however go in rifle season. Im going to send an email to the state also with some of my thoughts.

Over the years living and hunting in Colorado we would apply for the muzzleloading season hunts and when not drawing would hunt the late rifle season (easiest to draw because most guys don't like hunting in waist deep snow). We would only see a few guys in area <a href='/tags/20' rel='nofollow' title='See all tagged subjects with: #20'>#20</a> each year and they were usually standing around a fire drinking coffee, telling each other about hunting from the past.   :Red tup:

Ok I made plans last Fall and just before season started I found myself down. I was drawn for a Manage Deer hunt in October but couldn't go because I was still down.

This year no plans but I will try Spring Turkey Hunting, Spring Squirrel Hunting, in the Fall try to put 3 or 4 Deer in the Freezer any way I can. Maybe Fall Turkey hunt.

Other than that catch bunch of fish.

oneshot

Ive tried for that late season draw Buck over by Craig for the last 2 years and havent drawn that yet. I know a guy around Craig and know I could get on over there. Al

Will most likely do the same thing i do every year.   Will start with Fort Sill conventional muzzleloader season about 15 October.    i will put out a couple more tree stands.

My younger brother and I along with a couple of friends may try an elk hunt in Utah this coming October.Their licenses is over the counter and cheaper than other western states.

olecoop said:
My younger brother and I along with a couple of friends may try an elk hunt in Utah this coming October.Their licenses is over the counter and cheaper than other western states.
Most western states for non-resident permits are in the $400 - $600 range, biggest problem is where you can hunt with limited access and all the other locals on the same piece of public ground available. Large hunting groups, outfitters and private ranches have most of ground locked down to the general public these days. These writers talk about all the open ground (biggest problem is many are not available because of no access) which they never mention.

I have been in touch with a guy in Utah that has volunteered to help with certain information that may put us in an area as to where to camp and where to hunt.My brother will not go to Colorado to hunt.So this is our next best shot.Both being in our 60's,we've got to give it a try.

Walk across road from house and kill my normal 3-4 deer like I do every year. Kill a few squirrels with air rifle during squirrel season.
From March-May hunt Crappie from my boat :D

dbowling said:
Walk across road from house and kill my normal 3-4 deer like I do every year. Kill a few squirrels with air rifle during squirrel season.
I think I'm going to move to ROCKVILLE, IN.!!  :D

dbowling said:
..... Kill a few squirrels with air rifle during squirrel season.
What are you using for an air rifle?

Latest posts

Back