Hunting with a clean barrel...

Modern Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Modern Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

When hunting, do you fire from a sqeaky clean barrel?

• Yes, completely spotless.

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Mostly clean, some patches have been run through between shots.

• No, I shoot off a fouling shot before hunting.

• No, cleaning is too much work.

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

tooldog

Reaction score
I always hunt with a clean barrel, but after reading some of the other threads I see that some folks don't. I wanted to get the general feel of what everyone else is doing.

tooldog

Ain't no way I'd shoot ANYTHING without first shooting a fouling shot of some type to return the rifle to the same shooting condition as it was at the range.

Whatever works for each individual. I do run a patch with Hoppes and then 2 dry patches (turning each once) whether it's at the range or in the field. I want to treat each shot as identical as I can. The only thing that doesn't get clean is the breech plug. At the range, I was able to do the patch cleaning between shots, but after 10 shots, they were starting to wander. I cleaned the plug and POI went back to original. So that tells me (at least in my case) that I can at least go a few shots before I need to clean the breech plug. IF I know the gun's going to sit for several days, then I do a full cleaning.

Sunday , after hunting period finish,my son in law,brough his Muzzleloader to be clean ,on my recommendation.
I pass bore cleaner,copper cleaner,and after almost 3 hrs and over 40 patches,was still not satisfied with the barrel cleaning.I hate to pass bronze bristles in a black powder ,fianly after almost one hour of work I could see the barrel inside bright and clean.Pass a patch with tripple7 1,000 lube grease and th patch exit all dirty ,I had to work an other 1/2 hour to have clean patches .
I found out that many hunter pass a wet patch and a dry patch and when the patch seem "almost" clean, they store their rifle for winter.
Seing his rifle after the cleanup he ask me to clean all his rifle.
Have you seen such hunters?
Taureau noir

tooldog

As you indicate my barrel is "mostly clean" - same as if I were at the range shooting. After each shot I do patch the barrel with a windex patch and shoot the next shot. This is the same method I use while hunting - that way the bore is the same in both instances.

Prior to the season I shoot 3 or 4 shots from my gun to check zero - then I will patch it with windex patches and very lightly lube the barrel with a synthetic product called Slip 2000. The bore will remain that way until the end of the hunting season, when it will truly be cleaned.

I should also say that I shoot T7, if I were shooting BP or any of the Pyros - I am not sure this method would work. But, with T7 regular windex is a great neutralizer. I guess I have been doing this for 5 - 7 years now - no problems in any of the guns.

Everyone has their own way that works for them. I just want to see what everyone else is doing in case I can improve my process. I am always open for new and different ideas.

Between shots at the range, I run a brush with solvent through twice. Then a couple of solvent soaked patches, then dry patches until it comes out clean. Basically the same procedure that I use before putting the gun away except for cleaning the breach plug (if that particular gun has one) . It's slower that some care for, but that's what I've been doing for many years. The down side is it does take more time in the field after firing to stop and clean before reloading. I could probably fore go the brushing since I use 777 now instead of Goex.

big6x6, do your fire your fouling shot the night before you go out and then leave the barrel fouled for a couple of days if you don't get a shot?

sabotloader, are you using the Slip2000 BP lubricant or the regular?

tooldog

I completely break my gun down between range sessions and strip the bore to spotless clean. At the range I do the typical 3 patch swab between shots, one wet, two dry.

When loading for a hunt I am starting with a spotless bore, I then fire a 50 grain charge of powder thru the gun then do my 3 patch swab then load to hunt.

In the future I will follow this same process but will fire off the load at the end of that days hunt, strip the bore that evening, then in the AM fowl and swab another 50 grain charge. This will happen every day of the hunt from now on. I don't like Murpy or his law so why give him a chance. Dry powder for me!

tooldog

I am using the regular Slip - at the time that I purchased the product that was all they had.... I had a long conversation with somebody there and we talked about using it on a ML product. I was replacing BB which I have used for years and the thought of this synthetic oil was exactly where I a wanted to go. and the oriduct was already a proven product. At the time I bought the product it was listed as a cleaner/lubricator and for it certaily has been...

big6x6, do your fire your fouling shot the night before you go out and then leave the barrel fouled for a couple of days if you don't get a shot?

I fire my fouling shot basically on the WAY to hunting. On a SQUEEKY clean, oiled muzzleloader I'll first fire a primer only and then pour in 40-50gr loose Triple Se7en and usually seat a sabot only and fire off. Then load as usual. In dry conditions I may leave loaded for as long as two days but usually I will either shoot the load out OR remove the breechplug and push the load out and clean. Next time hunting start all over.

Clean dry barrel. When I get home from hunting I want to eat my dinner and relax a bit before bed if I haven't shot my rifle. I do not want to waste my evening cleaning my rifle if I do not have to. Some nights when I have to clean my rifle I don't get to bed until late.

Fortunately my rifle shoots to the same POI, clean or dirty. But the easiest way to tell is after sighting in go to the range, snap a few caps, clean out the oil, load and shoot one shot and see where the impact is. If it's where you were aiming then your good to go. If not it's more work to hunt on the clean dry barrel. You have to clean it every shot. A simple swab won't cut it.

I Clean the oil out of my barrle then I shoot a fowling shot befor I put my Hunting load down the barrle. Why ! Becouse I find that my first shot out of a sq. clean barrle always hit high and after the first shot they all the next shots fall right were they are needed. DEAD NUTS CENTER.

RON G.

To fowl or not to fowl.. that is the question. :D It depends on what rifle I am shooting. Some of them will hit the same or very near to on a clean barrel. So I hunt clean with them. My White Rifles like a fowled barrel, so I have a fowling shot in them...

It depends upon the individual gun and the load used as to whether it's fouled or clean. Two of my Whites don't seem to care much one way or the other but the Umag shoots great with a clean barrel.

I have to add that, so far, my Umag shoots great with most anything I've tried - clean OR fouled. So does my 98. Haven't shot the 97 .451 enough to say one way or the other.

And haven't shot the 97 .504 at all. 8)

Latest posts

Back