I didn't need it but it came home with me.

Modern Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Modern Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Can you give us the loads that you work up to shoot. Very interested and interesting subject

Twist Rate, and Bullet Length get REAL important when you start playing the Serious Long Range Game. In .45 Cal (The Long Range KING Caliber) You need at least a 1-18 Twist with a 1.4“ inch long, or there close abouts Bullet, in the 500-550 Grain weight Range. Anything less and you are “Farting in the Wind” :D Our World champion (Dave Gullo) Shoots a 17 or 17.5 Twist.

My rifle is a .45 Cal, 1-18 Twist, 32” Long Barrel (This Barrel was given to me by Idahoron here) I shoot both Paper Patch & Grease Groove long Range, my favorite Serious Long Range Bullets are Both Ellipticals, My Paper Patch bullet is .443 diameter, 1.460 long. My Grease Groove is .453 Diameter, 1.410 long, Both in the 530-540 Grain Range, Cast of 1-20 Alloy. My powder Charge is 85-90 Grains by WEIGHT of Swiss 2F Powder, I use 1/8” thick Wool felt over Powder Wads.

W85Gztd.jpg

9YsYNpn.jpg

Putting it together :lewis:

Thank you so much, I’m so impress. If the rifle was scoped. Do you think a big difference would be had on the target. Its scary how far those toy’s shoot. Wouldn’t scoping it first to get the best grouping be better then go to peep

I would say only if you struggle to use open sights.
If you can always apply the same sight picture every shot, don't have a giant front post reference, and have a solid rest to shoot from, then you'll find best groups just fine without a scope.
Type of open sights makes a ton of difference too. Idaholewis has said many times that he couldn't come close to achieving the groups he gets without his tang peep and globe front insert setups. In comparison, I have a "ghost ring" setup on my Renegade, which is basically a peep in the factory rear sight location. I have a huge .060" front fiber optic sight on the front. That huge front reference covers up a lot of target at 100 yards, but it is a highly visible setup for hunting in low light and that's my main purpose for it.
If my eyes get much worse than they already have I'll be moving to a tang peep awfully soon.

Latest posts

Back