I didn't need it but it came home with me.

Modern Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Modern Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

idahoron

Reaction score
I picked this rifle up for 200 bucks. I have a new in box Green Mountain LRH 45 that needs a stock with a set of double triggers. So it will have a new life as a 45 cal.

nrvfYOA.jpg

I picked this rifle up for 200 bucks. I have a new in box Green Mountain LRH 45 that needs a stock with a set of double triggers. So it will have a new life as a 45 cal.

nrvfYOA.jpg

That’s a Nice looking Ole Renegade Ron :lewis: I have rescued Several of them, I am a sucker for the Old TC Hawken’s & Renegades, I can’t hardly walk past em, Jax needs to Rig a Shock Collar on me, When i stop to look at one she could ZAP Me :roll:

Nice score, who doesn't " NEED " a $200 Renegade ? I've bought dozens of Renegades, New Englanders, Hawkens ,WMC, and other TC Sidelocks at sometimes give away prices because they fell out of favor. Some of my best deals came from gun shops who took them on trade for an inline, but I don't see the deals as much anymore. Even if the bore is trashed you should be able to recoup some of your investment.

That’s a Nice looking Ole Renegade Ron :lewis: I have rescued Several of them, I am a sucker for the Old TC Hawken’s & Renegades, I can’t hardly walk past em, Jax needs to Rig a Shock Collar on me, When i stop to look at one she could ZAP Me :roll:

I would be worried about Jax with a remote collar🤪

What rear sight did you put on the 1-18 twist business Rifle?

What rear sight did you put on the 1-18 twist business Rifle?

That is a Lee Shaver Super Grade Long Range Soule, with a Ballard Base. I had to Drill and Tap 2 Holes in the Tang for that one, They use machine Screws (I can’t remember the pitch now?) Lee sent them with the Sight. I probably could have used the existing Rear Tang Hole, but i didn’t like the idea of opening the Ballard Base up for such a Large Wood Screw, So i went just forward of the Existing Hole which put me past the Center hole, Forcing me to Drill & Tap 2 New holes. Not a Big deal, it’s done Right this way :lewis:

http://stores.leeshavergunsmithing.com/muzzleloader-long-range-soule-sight/
My next obstacle was finding a Front sight high enough to get me a 100 Yard Zero, These Soule Sights sit High, and the TC Hawken & Renegades already have a Really High Tang. First I tried Lee’s .625, But I was like 3 Feet High, i had an .850 on Hand, it was stil way to High. I contacted Lee and Explained it to him, He sent me out one of his Adjustable Front sights for his Ferriss Rifles, It is 1-1/8” Tall :oops: But that is EXACTLY what i needed.
bQHHXYH.jpg

This Picture shows my Sight set on my 100 Yard Zero, As you can see the 1-1/8” Front sight was IDEAL for my application, I can go Down 5 MOA if ever needed. Each mark on the Staff is 5 MOA, So i am only using up 5 MOA to achieve my 100 Yard Zero, this leaves me 320 MOA at my Disposal :p In other words i have PLENTY enough sight to shoot the Wasserburger Mile Shoot (1,750 Yards). Hind sight is 20/20, Knowing what I know now, I would have went with the Mid Range Soule instead of the Long, I could have gotten 1,000 Yards with a Mid Range NO PROBLEM. These Tall Soule Sights are Cumbersome, They need to be BABIED or they could easily be Badly Damaged.
iaIKS3K.jpg

This is a LOT of Sight
hKUIwyF.jpg

Leveling the Staff, She’s BUG NUTS on :lewis: I had 2 Bubbles on the Barrel, you can see one here sitting on the Top flat just forward of the Hammer, and the other is out at the Sight
58LMCuu.jpg

This was my 825 Yard shoot this Spring, My sight is DIALED in at 825 yards here, Look how much Elevation i have left in my Sight, Like i said above, i could EASILY have gotten away with the Mid Range Soule for 1,000 Yards, But I didn’t know that when i ordered this? I was breaking new path here :) There was a lot of Trial & Error went in to this to get everything right.
NJRb2l1.jpg

These Sight setups are Fairly spendy, You are looking at 600-650 Bucks for the Front and Rear Sight on the Rifle above.

Lee makes an Economy Grade for 260 Bucks, it is nearly identical to the Super Grade, Minus a few things, The economy Grade has a slightly Weaker Spring tension setup to the Staff, And it doesn’t come with a Hadley Eye Cup. The Hadley Eye cup is an EXTREMELY important Piece of this Puzzle. It has 9 different holes, and believe me it makes a HUGE difference in Various lighting, Target color, Background Etc. The Hadley reminds me of a pair of Binos, You look through and they are out of Focus, Sometimes REALLY bad, You keep looking through the sight while flipping through the hole Sizes, and all of a Sudden BINGO There it is Crystal Clear. Of course a lot of this has to do with our Eyesight, The Hadley works with your Eyes to give you the Sharpest possible Sight picture. A good example of how Critical it is, With a Large Hole (.093) Hunting type Peep, I can barely make out the Entire Target at 825 Yards, I mean it’s a STRUGGLE, impossible to Shoot like that, But when i flip through a Hadley i can find the “Sweet Spot”, it’s neat when you find it, you can flip one hole past it and starts to go blurry again, A LOT like Binoculars

These long Range Rigs are a lot fun, Not very practical, Just a lot of Fun to me to test my ability, Stretch the envelope so to speak. :lewis:

Last edited:
That is a Lee Shaver Super Grade Long Range Soule, with a Ballard Base. I had to Drill and Tap 2 Holes in the Tang for that one, They use machine Screws (I can’t remember the pitch now?) Lee sent them with the Sight. I probably could have used the existing Rear Tang Hole, but i didn’t like the idea of opening the Ballard Base up for such a Large Wood Screw, So i went just forward of the Existing Hole which put me past the Center hole, Forcing me to Drill & Tap 2 New holes. Not a Big deal, it’s done Right this way :lewis:

http://stores.leeshavergunsmithing.com/muzzleloader-long-range-soule-sight/
My next obstacle was finding a Front sight high enough to get me a 100 Yard Zero, These Soule Sights sit High, and the TC Hawken & Renegades already have a Really High Tang. First I tried Lee’s .625, But I was like 3 Feet High, i had an .850 on Hand, it was stil way to High. I contacted Lee and Explained it to him, He sent me out one of his Adjustable Front sights for his Ferriss Rifles, It is 1-1/8” Tall :oops: But that is EXACTLY what i needed.
bQHHXYH.jpg

This Picture shows my Sight set on my 100 Yard Zero, As you can see the 1-1/8” Front sight was IDEAL for my application, I can go Down 5 MOA if ever needed. Each mark on the Staff is 5 MOA, So i am only using up 5 MOA to achieve my 100 Yard Zero, this leaves me 320 MOA at my Disposal :p In other words i have PLENTY enough sight to shoot the Wasserburger Mile Shoot (1,750 Yards). Hind sight is 20/20, Knowing what I know now, I would have went with the Mid Range Soule instead of the Long, I could have gotten 1,000 Yards with a Mid Range NO PROBLEM. These Tall Soule Sights are Cumbersome, They need to be BABIED or they could easily be Badly Damaged.
iaIKS3K.jpg

This is a LOT of Sight
hKUIwyF.jpg

Leveling the Staff, She’s BUG NUTS on :lewis: I had 2 Bubbles on the Barrel, you can see one here sitting on the Top flat just forward of the Hammer, and the other is out at the Sight
58LMCuu.jpg

Thanks for the info. That is a super tall sight. I will most likely go with the mid range. Did you order straight from Lee?
Did you have to do anything to level the sight?

Thanks for the info. That is a super tall sight. I will most likely go with the mid range. Did you order straight from Lee?
Did you have to do anything to level the sight?

I did order mine straight from Shaver :lewis: in fact i just ordered another one of these Setups from him the other Day, It will be for my new Match Grade 1-24 Twist Rice .50 Cal, Since i already have a Super Grade (that comes with the Hadley eye cup) I went with the Cheaper Economy Grade, I can Switch my Hadley back n Forth Between them :lewis: The Hadley is IMPORTANT, VERY Important! They are like 100 Bucks, So unless a guy already has one, You really Should go with his Super Grade Sight. If you end up getting one, you will see they are a VERY NICE, High quality sight, Very precise

Yep, that’s the one :lewis: You want the Muzzleloader version.

Notice how much lower the Muzzloader versions sit? Look at the Windage Knuckle on the Muzzleloader version compared to all his others, It’s a unique design, A lower built Sight

Muzzleloader Version
WSNQ3p2.jpg

This is for a Ballard Rifle, See how much difference there is in the Windage Knuckle? This sight is noticeably Taller, We would need a 2” Tall Front sight on our Hawken’s & Renegades to get a 100 Yard Zero with something like this.
lNAJw6W.jpg

When you look at a Ballard, and most All Cartridge guns, you can see why The tall sights are needed, Due to how Low the Tang is. On the other hand, Our TC Hawken & Renegade Tangs sit HIGH
EbWYfwx.jpg

Last edited:
I couldn't see the adjustable front sight you have. Is that a special order item? does it fit the GM dovetail or did you have to adjust that?

Lee doesn’t have that Front sight listed for whatever reason? Just ask for his 1-1/8” Ferriss Front sight. He makes that sight in 1-1/8 and 1-1/4” high

Here is a neat Pic, With Everyone shooting one of Lee’s Ferris Rifles, Everyone except Dave Gullo appears to be using Lees Adjustable Front Ferriss Sight.
MAQg1zK.jpg

This was my 825 Yard shoot this Spring, My sight is DIALED in at 825 yards here, Look how much Elevation i have left in my Sight, Like i said above, i could EASILY have gotten away with the Mid Range Soule for 1,000 Yards, But I didn’t know that when i ordered this? I was breaking new path here :) There was a lot of Trial & Error went in to this to get everything right.
NJRb2l1.jpg

These Sight setups are Fairly spendy, You are looking at 600-650 Bucks for the Front and Rear Sight on the Rifle above.

Lee makes an Economy Grade for 260 Bucks, it is nearly identical to the Super Grade, Minus a few things, The economy Grade has a slightly Weaker Spring tension setup to the Staff, And it doesn’t come with a Hadley Eye Cup. The Hadley Eye cup is an EXTREMELY important Piece of this Puzzle. It has 9 different holes, and believe me it makes a HUGE difference in Various lighting, Target color, Background Etc. The Hadley reminds me of a pair of Binos, You look through and they are out of Focus, Sometimes REALLY bad, You keep looking through the sight while flipping through the hole Sizes, and all of a Sudden BINGO There it is Crystal Clear. Of course a lot of this has to do with our Eyesight, The Hadley works with your Eyes to give you the Sharpest possible Sight picture. A good example of how Critical it is, With a Large Hole (.093) Hunting type Peep, I can barely make out the Entire Target at 825 Yards, I mean it’s a STRUGGLE, impossible to Shoot like that, But when i flip through a Hadley i can find the “Sweet Spot”, it’s neat when you find it, you can flip one hole past it and starts to go blurry again, A LOT like Binoculars

These long Range Rigs are a lot fun, Not very practical, Just a lot of Fun to me to test my ability, Stretch the envelope so to speak. :lewis:
Can you give us the loads that you work up to shoot. Very interested and interesting subject

Back