I found a way to post the pictures of my First day with Pro

Modern Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Modern Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

njpddet

Reaction score
I hope that this is the correct way to post a picture. These shots are from 75 yards.

A little more information on my post. I was shooting 100 gr. of Triple Seven Pellets, Triple Seven Primers and Barnes Expander MZ 250 gr. The shots were 75 yards. I am thrilled with the results of my firs ever session with the muzzleloader. Beginners luck I'm sure! My next question is where do I go from here? Should I try 150 gr of T7? Should I stick with the Barnes? How do you think this set up will change at 100 yrd? Should I mess with success ? All I know is that I am hooked on this muzzleloading . Dave

My next question is where do I go from here?

Hunting! 8) :lol:

Nice shooting there! You may want to shoot from a clean barrel, or foul it and see where your first shot hits. You may also want to shoot a bit at your intended hunting ranges, other than that it looks to me like you are ready for the opener!

Good shooting!

Should I try 150 gr of T7?

I'd say that depends. How far will your hunting shots likely be? Two pellet loads are generally good to about 130-140yds. If you need to extend that distance then a 3-pellet load might be a good idea. Three pellet load GENERALLY don't shoot as well as two pellet loads. Some of be the best groups you'll ever shoot will be with two pellets. Also...3-pellets will have a good bit more recoil than two pellets.

Should I stick with the Barnes?

It depends. See which bullet groups the best for you and shoot that one. Either bullet will more than do the job on whitetail.

How do you think this set up will change at 100 yrd?

You'll have to shoot it to find out. If your shots will likely be 75yds or less then you're okay as it is. If your shots will be 100yds and over...you certainly need to shoot at greater distances...

I don't think you can go wrong with the Barnes 250 Expander. I have gotten good accuracy and very effective performance on whitetail for several years now. Have shot 5 does with the 250 Barnes so far and got good expansion and easy blood trail on all.

If the 3 pellet 150gr charge does not group, you can also buy the 30gr 777 pellets to try to find the sweet spot for your rifle:
110gr: one 50gr pellet & 2 30gr pellets
120gr: 4 30gr pellets
130gr: 2 50's and 1 30
140gr: 1 50 and 3 30's

T/C pro hunter

These new T/C Pro Hunters are really shooting. I can't help but wonder if T/C put new barrel manufacturing procedures in place or just needed
quality control checks.

Being in the East as you are and primarily woods hunting your load development may be done. :D

You could hunt ground hogs with those groups. :D

Nice shooting. Now go hunting. And do not forget to post reports here.

Thanks to all. Keep the advice coming in. This may be the most informative hunting site that I have ever seen. You guys are great.

Doohan said:

Nice shooting there! You may want to shoot from a clean barrel, or foul it and see where your first shot hits. You may also want to shoot a bit at your intended hunting ranges, other than that it looks to me like you are ready for the opener!

I agree with Doohan, take the gun the the range, wipe the oil out, run a patch with 91% Isopropyl alcohol, let it dry, wipe it out, shoot a 209, wipe it again, shoot another 209 and load. See where your point of impact is. If you need to shoot again, clean it completely, run a lightly oiled patch, wipe it out and repeat the above steps. I know it is a pain, but this is what I do when I test bullets and loads, because this is exactly what my gun will be when I load it opening morning. I found that certain bullet / powder combinations shoot better than others with a clean bore. Triple 7 seems to shoot close to the same with either a clean bore or just swabing between shots. Pyrodex always shot better for me on a fouled bore.

With all of that said, you have a great bullet and she is shooting very nice. If you think you could be shooting at 125 yards or longer shots, try 3 pellets and if they shoot good you are covered. I like to shoot all copper bullets a little faster than SST's or all lead (like PR bullets) bullets to make sure they open up nicely at longer range. Good luck and enjoy! Muzzleloading is a great sport!!!

Boy, the more I see and read the more I want a ProHunter!!!! My buddy is trying to sell a gun to come up with the money for a new ProHunter. If he gets one, that might be it for my original Encore.
I haven't shot the Barnes MZ Expanders much but I really like them. I have also heard a lot of good things about them here:

http://www.modernmuzzleloader.com/phpBB ... 6451#36451

Unless you are going to be shooting long range I would stick with the set up you have now. It is pretty impressive.

Mike

Outstanding shooting njpddet!!!!!

I am a very happy Pro Hunter owner too! I wont list all the muzzleloaders that I have owned over the years before I bought my Pro Hunter but will say that the Pro Hunter is one that will likely end the list any getting longer! :lol: Its one hell of a gun to say the least as you very quickly learned with your first muzzleloading experience!!!

Loggy, I wish I had you on the bench next to me for advice while I try to find my perfect combination. I could probably use you with me when I go shopping for sabots, powder etc.....I can see it coming. I may buy every type of bullet looking for that magical combo. I guess that's half the fun.

I wouldn't tinker too much. Looks like you've got a load that will work just fine. Go hunting and puts some meat in the freezer :D .

njpddet, your load seems pretty darn good!

For me...i'm startin to get a lil lazy. Heres what i went to & it shoots as well as any load ive ever shot in any ml (even with tinkering! :lol: )

3 50 grain Triple Se7en pellets, 250 grain T/C shockwave's w/supplied sabot and the new Triple Se7en 209 primers. 2287 fps.

With the innovative FlexTech stock combined with the Sims Recoil Pad...a 3 pill dosage burp has very mild side effects!!! :lol:

Doohan said:

:wink: :wink: :wink:

Loggy said:
njpddet, your load seems pretty darn good!

For me...i'm startin to get a lil lazy. Heres what i went to & it shoots as well as any load ive ever shot in any ml (even with tinkering! :lol: )

3 50 grain Triple Se7en pellets, 250 grain T/C shockwave's w/supplied sabot and the new Triple Se7en 209 primers. 2287 fps.

With the innovative FlexTech stock combined with the Sims Recoil P

I am shooting same load out of my omega 2250fps I like the new triple 7 primers very little crud ring.

L'd sure pitty the critter that comes within 75 yards of you.. Nice Shooting. When a rifle will shoot like that it sure makes the investment in them seem worth while.

In additon to the gun shooting well, I got it for zero cash (and half the cost of the scope). I used my Cabelas points that I accumulated this year. Granted I had to spend alot of money on my Cabelas Visa but it was money that I was going to spend anyway. I literally put 95% of everything that I buy on it. Gas, food, everything. I pay the card off every month so there is no interest. Thus I feel like I got a Pro Hunter and half a Zeiss scope for nadda.....(giggling)

As for the gun and scope, I couldn't be happier. I am a complete novice to muzzleloading but I can see that I am hooked forever. Like I said before, I'm sure the gun shoots better than I can....The journey should be a blast. Dave

Latest posts

Back