I guess I have a winner

Modern Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Modern Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Nice weather today, so I figured to test fire my new to me H&R sidekick.
All shots off the bench @ 25 yards.
80 grains volume of Triple 7 2f. Hornady 240 grain XTP's (with the green sabots)for the first 3 or 4 shots, then I loaded up the last couple shots using 45 caliber TC Maxi Hunters, 245 grains in a Harvester high pressure black sabot (50 cal).
Not too shabby for a old guy.20240129_151456.jpg20240129_111556.jpg

Nice weather today, so I figured to test fire my new to me H&R sidekick.
All shots off the bench @ 25 yards.
80 grains volume of Triple 7 2f. Hornady 240 grain XTP's (with the green sabots)for the first 3 or 4 shots, then I loaded up the last couple shots using 45 caliber TC Maxi Hunters, 245 grains in a Harvester high pressure black sabot (50 cal).
Not too shabby for a old guy.View attachment 41171View attachment 41172
Good target, nice lookin gun. Is that what its really called a " SideKick "?

Mines a tack driver with anything I shove down the barrel. Barrels are green MTN if I recall , if you can find a metrics unlimited breach plug you can shoot bh209. The orange primer carriers are a pain . Cecil at precision makes one too but I won't support him , long story short he screwed busta and I on helping him with the plug

Mines a tack driver with anything I shove down the barrel. Barrels are green MTN if I recall , if you can find a metrics unlimited breach plug you can shoot bh209. The orange primer carriers are a pain . Cecil at precision makes one too but I won't support him , long story short he screwed busta and I on helping him with the plug
The breech plug that came with the gun accepts 209 primers. I really don't know too much about it.

The twin is called the heritage, it was sold by Cabela's and is stainless with a camo fiberglass stock . That's what I have with a metrics unlimited plug . If you post a pic I might be able to decipher which plug you have

I was surprised it shot that well considering the barrel is less than perfect. It has a nice Williams fiber sights, along with the scope rail.

If you can find the Hornady 350gr FPB that's my go to bullet , 300gr xtp non mag would be close close second

I have a NEF Huntsman which is basically the same gun. It also shoots most any bullet decent with the exception of a couple of different ones that I have tried. As far as accuracy and bullet performance I probably would have to say the 270gr Speer JSP has performed the best so far. If the 240gr version of this same bullet ever becomes available I will be trying it for sure.

I have had one since 2005 (bought new). Went with .25 ACP plug, then later a 209 plug. It has always shot well with the load you mentioned above. You're fortunate to have gotten a 209 plug with it, I think you have a keeper there...

Latest posts

Back