I hope it's nothing serious

Modern Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Modern Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
It’s a lesson for us young guys that we have to watch out for the old rusty codgers and make it easy for them once in awhile.

My father in law thought it was stupid when I insisted on building this staircase on this deer stand a few years ago, but now everyone loves it and he wants to put similar stairs on a couple others. Even my mother in law likes to go up in this one and she is afraid of heights and just had a knee replacement

I too bought a SXS this year for the same reason Jim. My best bud and i are getting up there too, 67 here and he is 68. Both of us have had knee replacements and he is getting over prostate surgery. The SXS has been a game changer, we now go places we haven't in a long time and even put up 3 new stands (though that hasn't helped me any!).

I quit hunting several years ago and also have no desire to shoot any critter. I hung up my spurs and it was too risky for me to be in the woods, anyway. One's body thinks nothing of betraying it's owner.
Some think age it nothing but mental, I want to assure you it isn't, it's physical. You can't deny that fact. When your body starts to fail, regardless of your mental aspect, the physical will in fact become unfortunately apparent. At 75+ I've learned that. But still going out and enjoying life. But not hunting, though I still have my memories.

Last edited:
I’m 53 and find myself not really interested in going but I go to get away from everything.
For me to sit there in the woods quite, peaceful and no one or thing around is all I need to relax and chill.

Most of the time from October to December I’ll step out side and shoot the ML usually on a Saturday morning, drink coffee and chew my grizzly with no one around.

My only hunting buddy was my son but he’s 20 now I started taking him hunting when he was 7.
Now and then he will go with me but most of the time he’s out with his friends.

Also got me thinking about a couple of members I haven’t seen on here in a while.
Sabotloader
Gm120
And 52bore
I hope it things are good with them.

Last edited:
Question.
Has you desire to hunt ever lessened
I find as I am getting older my desire to hunt is not what it was just a couple years ago.
Just wondering if happened to any of you older fellas and gals or if it's just me
I know my father had the same happen at some point
Frankly, my desire to hunt has dwindled to nothing. I have lost access to all my old hunting grounds because people died and family sold the land to the "no huntin allowed" crowd. I refuse to hunt public land because the vast majority of people in Ohio that hunt private land hunt like they drive their automobiles... like it's a video game. They're reckless and stupid and if I get shot at again it's going to get ugly. So...based on I have no desire to go to prison, I don't hunt anymore.

Frankly, my desire to hunt has dwindled to nothing. I have lost access to all my old hunting grounds because people died and family sold the land to the "no huntin allowed" crowd. I refuse to hunt public land because the vast majority of people in Ohio that hunt private land hunt like they drive their automobiles... like it's a video game. They're reckless and stupid and if I get shot at again it's going to get ugly. So...based on I have no desire to go to prison, I don't hunt anymore.
Sorry that has happened for you. My decreased interest in hunting is a result of my age and infirmities. Yet I still love the idea of going out and the enjoyment of owning my many firearms and their history, but the effort is just too much for this old body. I could 'still-hunt' but could never walk very far now.

So sorry to hear that, it’s not like that herein Vermont. Not many people means not many hunters.
I imagine many other old timers are feeling the same way as you. But I agree with you about careless hunters, if I ever get shot at, I’m shooting back!

Attachments

• IMG_3112.jpeg
    IMG_3112.jpeg
    212.5 KB · Views: 0
Happens to a lot of people. I hope to be going until I die--very much looking forward to doing more when I retire, though I might diversify into more types of hunting and some fall fishing then too. I love dogs and bird hunting with dogs is another thing I can't see quitting for a long time unless forced to.

I declined to pull the trigger on three deer this year for various reasons but am very much enjoying all my time afield. I guit using hang on and tree steps in favor of ladder stands a few years back, and am getting back to finding good spots to sit on the ground. I often quit early as the eyes just aren't what they used to be and don't seem to be able to get that fixed with glasses. Doc says I am good with the chart but my fine detail--seeing the deer back in the brush at low light--is going--scopes help but I am pretty much done well before I can legally shoot on most days. That affects still hunting too, which I love to do but seem to bump a lot of deer I should have seen first. LOVE hunting in the snow though, that improves my ability to see greatly!
Welcome aboard Windyhills

Back