I learned something.....

Modern Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Modern Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Sharpsman

Reaction score
this afternoon that put a grin on my kisser and that is the fact that this .54 Hawken with 34" barrel shoots a lot flatter than I was expecting! I took it to the 200 yard line and found out just how to hold to get POI toward center. The AR500 plate you're looking at below is 28" depth and about same width. I fired 3 shots initially....no hits! I suspected that I was holding too high so using the same placement of the front sight into the rear notch that I use at 100 yards I held the top of the front sight at the upper right hand corner of this plate and got the 3 hits you can see! The wind was blowing around 5 mph from 4 o/clock so that required the hold off I used! Drift wasn't as much as I expected either! This was using .530 Hornady roundball and 100 grs. KIK 2F powder. Didn't fire any more as I was losing light but I left the range with a grin on my face! :cheers: :cheers: :cheers:

25544913086_cc4080f19e_b.jpg
Untitled by Rick Mulhern, on Flickr

25478401481_feeb75db36_b.jpg

Nice shooting what Hawken is it a custom or a factory prod. gun. Al

Ahh ok I guess my memory went into the star zone. I do remember you buying that. They have one now on there for 2100. Al

Well, a hit is a hit!  Especially at 200 yds with irons and smoker!  I'd be pressed to do that using irons.  Probably couldn't.

Your hold matches pretty good with the results of a ballistics calculator I just ran.  Congrats again!  Mine shows a .530 would drop 9" and drift left 5" with a 5 mph wind, all assuming a 2000 fps muzzle velocity guess on my part.

Heck of a day you had.  I worked in the yard.

BigAl52 said:
Ahh ok I guess my memory went into the star zone. I do remember you buying that. They have one now on there for 2100. Al
You should buy it! Beats putting money in the bank on a CD!!

If I get another chance at a left hand....I'm gonna buy it if it's a GRRW!! :Salute:

Old Smoke said:
Well, a hit is a hit!  Especially at 200 yds with irons and smoker!  I'd be pressed to do that using irons.  Probably couldn't.

Your hold matches pretty good with the results of a ballistics calculator I just ran.  Congrats again!  Mine shows a .530 would drop 9" and drift left 5" with a 5 mph wind, all assuming a 2000 fps muzzle velocity guess on my part.

Heck of a day you had.  I worked in the yard.
Drive up here....got a place for you to stay no charge....we'll shoot and I'll buy you a good ribeye!! :Salute: :Salute:

That's quite an offer!  

It'll be awhile 'fore I can get away.  Got youngin's coming in from college this coming weekend, then a grind on the job for about a month.  But, yep we'll have to do it.  I look forward t it.

Old Smoke said:
That's quite an offer!  

It'll be awhile 'fore I can get away.  Got youngin's coming in from college this coming weekend, then a grind on the job for about a month.  But, yep we'll have to do it.  I look forward t it.
I'll hold you to it!! :cheers:

Sharpsman said:
BigAl52 said:
You should buy it! Beats putting money in the bank on a CD!!

If I get another chance at a left hand....I'm gonna buy it if it's a GRRW!! :Salute:
If it was a 54 I would be real tempted. But its a 50 and I really want a 54. Al

That's a really fine shooting table you've got there. Can you give us some more information on it?

muzzlenut said:
That's a really fine shooting table you've got there. Can you give us some more information on it?
I'll take you a couple photos of it and put here later! Right now....I've got some cornbread, black-eyed peas, and fried backstrap to make disappear! :cheers: :cheers:

25591329295_cd36526ec5_b.jpg

IMG_0504 by Rick Mulhern, on Flickr

25565219086_91e9eb6799_b.jpg

IMG_0502 by Rick Mulhern, on Flickr

Width=44"
Length=48"
Height above ground level=36"
Cutout above seat width=22" Depth=16"
Seat=20" length Width=8"
Wheel base=Width=60" Tires from the Tractor Store
Top from Lowe's is plastic all weather material
Frame is 1 1/2" square tubing welded.
Hitch length=60"
2x4s are something I Afro-Engineered on temp basis until I make the final revision!

I was going to say "Great shooting for a traditional muzzleloader," but that is great shooting for any type of firearm.

The outdoor range I belong to has a maximum distance of 100 yards, so that is my limit right now. And, with my cataracts, an animal I could shoot with iron sights at 200 yards would have to be the size of a Tyrannosaurus! :D
Ron

RonC said:
I was going to say "Great shooting for a traditional muzzleloader," but that is great shooting for any type of firearm.

The outdoor range I belong to has a maximum distance of 100 yards, so that is my limit right now. And, with my cataracts, an animal I could shoot with iron sights at 200 yards would have to be the size of a Tyrannosaurus! :D
Ron
Ron

It WOULD BE great shooting if I can do it again! I've proven to myself that this rifle is capable of good accuracy but three shots isn't in my opinion all that enters into the picture!  Sometimes all the stars and the moon lines up and things fall into place! I don't intend to shoot at a whitetail at that distance because I'll position myself where I don't have to! This small test was just to satisfy my curiosity about what possibly the rifle is capable of and with a fixed rear barrel sight with no ramp for elevation I wanted to find out what kind of 'hold' it would take to get on target. For the past 20 years I've been shooting 530-550 gr. conicals out of a M1874 Sharps moving along at around 1500 fps and 200 yards with those is a chip shot! I figured since the PRB I'm shooting is only 223 grs. with basically the same powder charge I used in the Sharps that the ball should be moving along pretty well and I was pleasantly surprised! My first three shots I shot over the plate and only until I figured that out did I correct the hold and got those hits shown! I've been getting some blown patches so this morning I got me some emery cloth and worked on the crown of the rifle a bit to see if I could smooth out any sharp edges of the lands that might be cutting the pillow ticking when I start the ball! Maybe I'll find out this afternoon! :idea: :shock:

Wish I had a shooting range in my back yard. I wouldn't get a thing done but I sure would have some fun :bounce:

It's no different than having a swimming pool in your yard. You want it until you get it, use it for a couple of months and then hardly ever use it because it's always there in case you want to use it.
"I can do that anytime", is the common attitude. At least it is with me.

Never had any time for pools, fishing, or biking! Too much powder needed burning! :Salute: :hats off:

patocazador said:
It's no different than having a swimming pool in your yard. You want it until you get it, use it for a couple of months and then hardly ever use it because it's always there in case you want to use it.
"I can do that anytime", is the common attitude. At least it is with me.
Might fall under the to much of a good thing can be bad Bob??? I do try to get out as much as I can as I buy these things for fun and never have enough time to use them but sure is fun looking and buying. Al

Back