I like escargo, but

Modern Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Modern Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I lived in Miami and worked for the Miami Beach Water Dept in 1971 when the whole North end was over run by these critters. We were all given big canvas bags and blue plastic gloves to pick them up. We had to start work at sun up when they were most active and out. The gloves were important cause the slime can cause serious skin problems with some people. One snail is a hand full and these things can move right along. A couple of the crew tried an old technique of pouring salt on them. Wow you can’t imagine how much bubbly foam they make when the salt hits them. Recall one day at the Miami Covention Center five of us grabbed like 175 and I had two bags full. These things can literally eat a Bird of Paradise plant overnight. I was told they were “completely eradicated “ so I guess they were wrong. Too bad walking catfish won’t eat them or maybe pythons.
Rick

The smuggler still try and smuggle them into the US for the illegal pet trade. It only takes one successful smuggler too. Florida had eradicated a couple of times. But new infestations are still happening. Worse these thing can lay down thousands of eggs too. Thus it is hard to get rid of them.

Then you have some Africans that like them to eat. Sort of part of the bush meat craving some of them get. So if they get a couple they release them so they can gather some up to eat later.

Well, theres a ton of seafood I eat, that are kind of... dont look at it type stuff. Clams and such are pretty slimy, especially oyster. When I was young, I always thought of squid as bait, till an italian guy came around and showed how to cook them. Things like headfish look like something alien. (monkfish is considerd poor mans lobster) But 2/3 of them are one big ugly mouth. (they never sell whole, just the small tail section making them look like a much smaller fish) I have even tried whale and porpoise in european countries. Whale is pretty oily, usually reserved for cold climates where oil/fat is craved. Porpoise, being a mammal is a red meat kind of like a fishy tasting gamey goat or sheep.
Ive had racoon, possum, porcupine, turtle, gator and more. I'll try anything... Just dont try to fool me, tell me what it is. There are some things like ducks that can taste totally different depending on season and diet. Could taste good one time, and like mud the next, so you cant really just write something off after one try

Last edited:
I was reading where they sort of farm raise some using nice vegetables etc to feed them. So those might not taste like mud but taste more like escargot does. Regular size snail meat tends to take on the flavors of what they cook it in. Sort of like Tofu does.

Well, theres a ton of seafood I eat, that are kind of... dont look at it type stuff. Clams and such are pretty slimy, especially oyster. When I was young, I always thought of squid as bait, till an italian guy came around and showed how to cook them. Things like headfish look like something alien. (monkfish is considerd poor mans lobster) But 2/3 of them are one big ugly mouth. (they never sell whole, just the small tail section making them look like a much smaller fish) I have even tried whale and porpoise in european countries. Whale is pretty oily, usually reserved for cold climates where oil/fat is craved. Porpoise, being a mammal is a red meat kind of like a fishy tasting gamey goat or sheep.
Ive had racoon, possum, porcupine, turtle, gator and more. I'll try anything... Just dont try to fool me, tell me what it is. There are some things like ducks that can taste totally different depending on season and diet. Could taste good one time, and like mud the next, so you cant really just write something off after one try
you sir, are a brave man indeed

I read somewhere that those things love to eat stucco and they can do a lot of damage to buildings

Back