I need a shove!

Modern Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Modern Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

smoker

Reaction score
Been threatening to sell my BP smoker pole and get a Savage. BP stinks and it's dirty and it's..........So give me a shove and get me going on your choice of Savage smokeless muzzel loaders Thanks, smoker

OK guy's you done it! Puttin the old smoke pole up for sale right now! Thanks a bunch. I love Savage guns own a few and get the greatest pleasure out of making my holes closer together than my Son can with his high cost - gunsmithed - muzzelbraked, non shooters :lol: smoker

:yeah: Were going to have another satisfied 10ML II shooter :D

This will absolutely be one the smartest moves you'll ever make. :yeah: :wink:

Just listed my old one on the buy/sell/trade page. I'm going to go for the laminated stainless model. I have cleaned that dirty thing for the last time last night! smoker PS I'm telling my wife it was you guy's that got me started!!!

I have a laminated, stainless ML11 with a stainless scope and rings. The only black on it is the SSS comp trigger. I also added the stainless through bolts that they use on the .458 African Savage. You will like the Savage. Wise choice.

Shove, push, or kick, you will be pleased. I just recently purchased mine and I cannot believe how well it shoots. You will also be amazed at the difference in recoil.

smoker said:
Just listed my old one on the buy/sell/trade page. I'm going to go for the laminated stainless model. I have cleaned that dirty thing for the last time last night! smoker PS I'm telling my wife it was you guy's that got me started!!!

Your wife will be grateful, I'm sure, that you don't have to spend time cleaning your gun after you get in from hunting, though! :lol:

My SS/laminate 10ML was my first muzzleloader, and though I never put it up dirty (even though it wouldn't hurt it even if I did), I am used to (a) not shooting out the load unless I see a deer or (b) taking all of two minutes to run 1 solvent patch and 2 dry patches down the bore and pop it in the case, but...

I took my 12 year old and 15 year old brothers hunting yesterday, so I had to borrow my buddy's BP gun for one of them to use (I only have two rifles) and we shot out the load at the end of the day. After I hunted and hunted for windex, then gave up and used water, then kept to trying to get the bore dry, then noticed that there were still faint smudges on the patch, used a solvent patch that came out looking like the barrel had never been cleaned, then dry patched some more, then oiled the bore to keep all the water we had used from leading to rust, THAT THING IS A PAIN TO SHOOT AND CLEAN!!!!!

I still want to get a flintlock just for the nostalgia and challenge (same reasons I like bow hunting), but if all you're wanting is a gun to shoot and kill deer with during restricted seasons, you've definitely made the right choice by getting a Savage!

Though the Savage is the primary smokeless MLer owned by those on this board, it is not the only game in town. It is the only smokeless MLer that is produced by a major firearms company that was willing to take the heat and risk to do so. They have produced a very accurate, very safe IMO, practical smokeless MLer that, like all commercially produced firearms, has compromises to be as flexible, fool-proof and safe for all who use, even the weakest link. Incidentally, contrary to what has recently been posted, I can think of no time that I felt or posted anything negative about "book" loads or those who use them. I can find many posts I've made well prior to that declaration that "I demeaned those who use book loads" that are supportive of book loads. I'll try not to digress :) . There are other alternatives , each with their strengths and weaknesses. These fall into the categories of semi-custom guns and well made aftermarket barrels. Though I have seen posts that "such and such" a gun is the best smokeless MLer made(Savage most ofter cited), I don't see how such a decree can logically be made unless someone has significant experience with all available smokeless MLers and also knows what each person needs or wants in his/her particular situation. Is there 1 best car for everyone or for that matter, 1 best car? Some people want really long range(SMI and possibly what 6X6 has), others want compactness(Ultra lite Arms?), others want versitility, others want to shoot big, heavy bullets(Savage), others want extreme refinement and optimum range(some of the custom/semi-custom at a price),etc. Whats the best MLer - I don't know. Just when I see posts saying this is the "best" MLer, I think of these thoughts. I'm happy with my Savages , happy with my ever so consistent SMI, and happy with my Sav actioned RB'd 45 Pac Nor 45 which is extremely accurate and has low recoil. I don't think there is a best - just a bunch of very good and what may be best for one isn't for another. Just my thoughts.
Incidentally, this post wasn't in response to any post on this thread what-so-ever; rather, some I've read recently and wanted the reader who is considering a smokeless MLer to be sure to realize that there are choices. A Savage is an excellent choice for nearly every need/desire. Book loads will work great in it also :D .

Thanks for all your input and adavice. When muzzel loader season became a reality here in NYS, I watched as the flint lock and persussion cap boy's went through thier moves. The first guy had a flint lock and couldn't get the damn thing to fire....something about his frizzy or something. The percussion guy seemed to be having a better time but had his touch hole in trouble. The in-line came along and that's when I jumped. Very accurate and sorta reliable....really reliable after I converted to 209 primers. All had the same problem.....dirty filthy mess to clean. I'm sure there has to be a draw back to the Savage but I sure hope it's less of a pain than the afore mentioned. smoker

Back