I scored a CVA Trapper 12ga Shotgun!

Modern Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Modern Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

MattRaymond

Reaction score
Hey Guys,

I'm pretty excited with my most recent muzzleloader score.  I had been looking for a Black Powder shotgun for awhile now.  It would get occasional use, so I couldn't justify getting a Pedersoli/Navy Arms SxS or even a T/C New Englander.  Those guns, while nice, were plain out of my price range. While surfing the web, I stumbled onto an obscure webpage from a pawn shop in Phoenix AZ...I live in CT...

They had a shotgun for sale that I'd never heard of before, a CVA Trapper.  It's a single shot 12a, and was in fairly decent, serviceable condition.  They only wanted $88 OBO...I emailed them and offered them $75 shipped.  They came back and asked for $75 plus $20 shipping.  $95 all in seemed reasonable so we struck a deal and it arrived at my door in 2 days.

What interested me the most about the gun is that it takes screw-in chokes...Mossberg type I think, and it came with a modified choke.  Well I got it all cleaned up and will prove perfect for my needs for spring turkeys and fall pheasants.  It had a nice shiny bore and I don't think it had been shot much.  It has some surface rust and blemishes on the bluing, but for my needs it will be perfect! 

I like the fact that it has a large, sturdy breach plug area, as well as the first 5 inches or so of it's 28 inch barrel is still octagon like a Hawken.  It should prove to be a safe and strong shotgun.  The only thing missing on it is a ramrod thimble, but I can get one of those cheap enough through Deer Creek. 

The lock is color case hardened as is the trigger guard.  It has no butt plate, just smooth wood. I really like the engraving on the lock, it's flowers etc and a duck in flight...kinda interesting!

Anyway here's a few pics, I'm pretty excited to work up a load for it and take it into the woods this spring.

IMG_2403.jpg

IMG_2396.jpg

IMG_2402.jpg

IMG_2398.jpg

That might be a Winchoke I have a 16 gauge Winchester and the chokes for it are identical looking to yours with knurled end and countersunk holes for a spanner tool to remove. Hope it is Mossberg type though  as they are cheaper and lots more available.

Thanks guys,

I will look at Win Chokes as well. From the limited info on the net about these guns...1/2 say they are Mossberg, 1/2 say they are winchesters. I'm sure they are a production choke and not a specialty item. I would probably just get a full choke for it for turkeys and use the modified for everything else. 

Matt

My Pedersoli 12 ga sxs has the screw in chokes ,they are interchangeable with Browning Invector chokes. According to Carlsons Chokes I haven't tried any yet but I am fixing to see if I can get a extra full trying to get me a spring Turkey .

Great find!
It should be fun to shoot.
Ron

Very nice! For that price you can refinish the whole thing and not worry about screwing up.

I've never got into BP long guns but would have snapped it up. Congrats.  Working up a "find" is more rewarding than pulling a new one out of the box.

Noticed you didn't give us the link to the pawn shop!  Bet you go back often :D .

Personally, I'd leave the factory choke on it! My CVA Hawken 12g that I had was amazing out to 50 yards with 1 1/8oz # 7 1/2 shot.

I have a CVA Double Modified Choke on both Barrels. So Bird has to get close.

001.jpg

002.jpg

000_0672sq.jpg

oneshot

It's quite the sport and challenge of taking small game with a smoker as was once the norm.   :Red tup:

Thanks guys. My plan at this point is to work on a load using the modified choke that came with the gun. Most of the turkey's I've shot I've called into between 10-25 yards.

Latest posts

Back