I Tried Twice

Modern Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Modern Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
It came and went back right away. It was over 10 lbs.

My back was happy to see it go.
Get yer self a shorter barrel TC Thunder Hawk or a White Mountain Carbine. They are both light, short, easy to handle and will take down any animal on the continent. Recoil ain't bad either with a good recoil pad.
There ya go, I solved your dilemma. You can thank me later.;)

I'm considering a Knight UL with open sights. Just use light loads to keep down the recoil and hunt for just muley's. It sure would be a joy to carry in the mountains and to shoulder it. I could wear a shoulder pad to make the LOP longer.

I know if I use a weapon that's too heavy it's not going to work. No matter how much I grit my teeth and try to make it work.
Sounds like you found your solution. Good luck!

I can't change my style of hunting. It's all I know. Sitting and waiting for the game to come to me is............well.........not hunting. What skill is involved? The ability to not fall asleep?
So are you saying all the Native Americans who waited to ambush a animal while sitting still were not hunting? Hunting no matter if sitting still or moving quietly thru the wood is a skill, takes a lot of patience to sit absolutely still for hours at a time.. I squirrel hunt by sneaking thru the woods and squirrels are every bit as alert as a deer but prefer to sit and deer hunt. I also hunt with recurve/longbow while sitting in a tree stand so how much skill involved.. its not good to generalize how people hunt or to think ones method is more skillful or better.. this is just my opinion so take it for what its worth.. same goes for type of weapon used a inline is no better then a sidelock or vice cersa and both require the same thing the ability to shoot straight.

So are you saying all the Native Americans who waited to ambush a animal while sitting still were not hunting? Hunting no matter if sitting still or moving quietly thru the wood is a skill, takes a lot of patience to sit absolutely still for hours at a time.. I squirrel hunt by sneaking thru the woods and squirrels are every bit as alert as a deer but prefer to sit and deer hunt. I also hunt with recurve/longbow while sitting in a tree stand so how much skill involved.. its not good to generalize how people hunt or to think ones method is more skillful or better.. this is just my opinion so take it for what its worth.. same goes for type of weapon used a inline is no better then a sidelock or vice cersa and both require the same thing the ability to shoot straight.

How many times do I have to say I don't care how anybody else hunts. I give the reason I won't do something is not saying you shouldn't do it. I brought it up because sitting is how most crossbow hunters hunt. Since I don't sit a crossbow is not the best weapon for me.

A lot of guys say still hunting is stupid and doesn't work. It doesn't bother me. I'm secure in myself and my method and see no need to defend it.

You mention squirrels and I use squirrels in my hunt. I know if I can move through the timber without the squirrels narcing on me that i'm moving slow and quiet enough.

I can't change my style of hunting. It's all I know. Sitting and waiting for the game to come to me is............well.........not hunting. What skill is involved? The ability to not fall asleep?
That has to be one of the dumbest things I've ever seen posted If you thing hunters that sit and are successful just go out and just sit anywhere then apparently you don't know much about hunting.That would be like saying people who stalk and still hunt just walk around

That has to be one of the dumbest things I've ever seen posted If you thing hunters that sit and are successful just go out and just sit anywhere then apparently you don't know much about hunting.That would be like saying people who stalk and still hunt just walk around

Kind of touchy huh?

btw...I've been told many times that still hunting is just walking around. I just chuckle and ignore them.

I love my parker crossbow its allowed me 2 months of extra hunting each year. Since I fractured 3 vertebrae in my neck a regular bow is out of the question. Plus I'm always taking one of my grandbabies and its easy for them.
I once owned a Parker bow. It was an older model, Tornado, I think.
Good shooting crossbow. Too bad that Parker went out of business.

Hunting style evolved from the local terrain hunted. Wide open spaces, and fewer heads per acre require you to cover more ground. Thick bottoms with heavy populations and your not going to sneak through too far before something alerts the herd. (its hard to stalk up a shooter through a briar patch especially when your field of view is about 10 yards, but get above, stay still and quiet where you can see much farther..) I stand hunt because my odds are exponentially greater at home, but typically stalk when somewhere that accommodates that style

Well, I decided a crossbow is not for my style of hunting. Traditional guns are too heavy for bum back.

So, I just bought a Accura PR scoped. Even though I have a disability license to use a scope in muzzy season. I don't want to get stopped by every warden who spots me using a scope. So, i've decided to just hunt for bear from now on. It's a rifle season hunt from Sept 2nd-30th just like the archery season. Since it's a rifle season hunt I have no restrictions on the muzzleloader. I can use a scope, sabots, and even pellets. I got the Northwest breech plug so I can use musket caps. I bought 4 lbs of T7 from Graf's. I haven't decided on a bullet but more than likely it will be the Barnes T-EZ.

That's it. No more weapon changes. I'm sick of doing that. The PR is Nitride with Cerkote coating. I hope it doesn't peel off. The black Nitride showing through the tan Cerakote will look terrible.

There goes Pete hobbling along still looking for a bear.

Latest posts

Back