IdahoLewis 388gr Bullets

Modern Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Modern Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
It's been a very long time since I've been able to get to the range due to my Rotator Cuff surgery. Not to mention this crazy winter we had didn't help matters much. Well, I'm sorry to say I felt like a newbie to ML shooting. I forgot to swab my bore and fire a couple caps like I normally do especially when I go hunting. Couldn't understand why the rifle didn't fire until I removed the cap and saw it was saturated with oil. :oops: :oops: Then between groups as I was adjusting my scope and loading a big Gobler came strutting out of the woods crossed by the 100-yard target and then disappeared into the woods on the other side. You had to see the expression on my face when I fired and all I heard was Pop. You guessed it I forgot to insert a bullet. :oops: :oops:

Anyway, IdahoLewis gave me a while ago some of his 1-40 388gr bullets to try in my .451 White M98. So when I saw a break this past weekend I snuck out for a couple of hours and got to my gun club first thing in the morning before the normal crowd would show up.

My load was 70gr of Swiss 3F. I thought I would start with 70gr as my White M98 likes 75gr of Swiss 3F with my 350gr HP Gould bullets. From the attached target the first (OIL IN BBL :oops: ) shot was a little high and to the left. Then things settled down and the hole just kept on getting bigger!! :D At this time I decided I wanted to shoot another group to make sure I would get the same results. So I decided to lower my scope a few clicks so I could get the two groups on the same target while using the same aiming point. It was at this time while adjusting the scope and reloading is when the Turkey made its appearance. :D :oops:

Anyway, the first two shots put a big smile on my face. The third shot I blew it. Don't know if was totally my fault or if it was due to the guy next to me shooting his AR-15 type rifle??? I'm blaming it was his fault and I'm sticking with it. :lol: A few minutes later two more of his friends showed up with their AR-15 type rifles and it was too much for me, between the rapid firing and empty brass flying all over the place so I decided to pack it in for another day.

The biggest problem I see with IdahoLewis bullets is he has a VERY tough decision to make this up and coming deer season as to which bullet he is going to use for hunting. Is it going to be the 350gr HP Gould bullet or the 388gr one?? I can't wait to find out. In any case both are WINNERS!

Attachments

• 388gr Bullet.JPG
    388gr Bullet.JPG
    45.1 KB · Views: 114
  • img080.jpg
    img080.jpg
    168.9 KB · Views: 114
Good shootin Ed! You beat me with my own bullet on that 1st group :yeah: You gotta ditch that Scope though! :lol:

If i were to have this mold cut again i would go with all bands at .453, After lubing, then running them through a .451.5 or .452 sizer, That Should be about ideal i would think? I had this mold cut with oversize bands like the Bullshop 50 Cal bullet, in hopes that it would hold tight, But after doing your method of lubing and sizing, that's no doubt a better way to go :yeah:

Latest posts

Back