IL Ever Going To Allow Centerfire Rifle for Deer?

Modern Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Modern Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Technically, for a number of counties in IL that allow late season/CWD hunting a hunter can use the rifle for those late seasons. I haven't looked at the calendar, but for the 2021 deer season, CWD and late antlerless were at the end of December/first couple days in January and then the second CWD/late antlerless was around Jan 15th. So, depending on what county one would be hunting in, an individual could use their straight wall, single shot for possibly a couple weekends- the one in mid-January for sure.
It's my understanding that the new center fire rifle law will be limited to certain counties based on terrain. I do not believe it will be allowed in all the late season counties. Late season gun counties are the last weekend in December and the last weekend of the season. It is not set by a specific date per se. The law as it is written, limited to firearms capable of single fire only and county specific by terrain is stupid considering the ballistic superiority of some slug guns and muzzle loaders when compared to most, not all of the straight wall cartridges allowed. However it is a start so I'm happy about that.

Last edited:
It's my understanding that the new center fire rifle law will be limited to certain counties based on terrain. I do not believe it will be allowed in all the late season counties. Late season gun counties are the last weekend in December and the last weekend of the season. It is not set by a specific date per se. The law as it is written, limited to firearms capable of single fire only and county specific by terrain is stupid considering the ballistic superiority of some slug guns and muzzle loaders to most, not all of the straight wall cartridges allowed. However it is a start so I'm happy about that.
This is precisely why I have some kind of muzzleloader with me 100% of the time during any firearm season in IL (having a .45 smokeless built right now for new location in IA, where I can reach out 300 yrds+. I always have a revolver for a "challenging/close up encounter", but any time I plan on possibly taking a shot over 100yrds I will have my in-line muzzleloader with me. Within the woods I don't know if I have ever taken more than a 75 yrd shot.

Sorry bud, but the real deer hunting in Minnesota is in the southern half of the state. Wolf hunting should be a northern Minnesota hunting consideration in spite of the federal restrictions on such. Carve the wolf population down a bit then northern Minnesota might see some re-population of the once famous deer herd.
We'd have to hope for mild winters and more logging activity. The severe winters have had the biggest impact on deer numbers. Wolves as the cause is a myth.

10 years ago deer hunting was great in thick wolf country.

Back