I'm new to muzzleloading and I bought a .....

Modern Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Modern Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

lineman309

Reaction score
T/C Pro Hunter and a Nikon Omega BDC-250 scope...I'm leaning toward the T/C Shockwave 250 grain bullets...As far as powder I'm going w/ the pellets for now, but not sure if I should go w/ T7 or Pyrodex...It sounds like I would get better performance w/ Pyrodex?
As far as cleaning...should I get just dry patches or pre saturated patches? What about breech lube?
What should be on my list for the essential things I need to take care of my muzzleloader? By the way, Luv the site! I love archery and I'm very excited about muzzleloading...Help a new guy out...Thanks Troy

Welcome lineman. There are several here (probably more) who have a T/C Pro Hunter and all love it...Great choice. The T/C Shockwave/Hornady SST is an excellent shooting bullet and have taken a pile of deer. You can't go wrong with either powder but I have used triple se7en ffg with great results with the shockwave. At the beginning of this "New to Muzzleloading" section is a Sticky showing Tips and Hints. There are many items and preferred products listed. I personally purchase dry patches to use for either spit-patching between shots or cleaning up at the end of my range sessions. Good luck and give us a report on how you new gun shoots.

Lineman, welcome to the forum, man!
I'm leaning toward the T/C Shockwave 250 grain bullets...
Excellent choice!
As far as powder I'm going w/ the pellets for now, but not sure if I should go w/ T7 or Pyrodex...It sounds like I would get better performance w/ Pyrodex?
If you are using 3 pellets, the Pyrodex will give you a little more velocity, BUT are quite a bit nastier to clean up. I would stick with the Triple Se7en pellets.
As far as cleaning...should I get just dry patches or pre saturated patches?
Just get the dry patches and lube them with your own spit, Windex, water, or one of many other options. I use Butch's Black Powder Bore Shine for swabbing.
What about breech lube?
Many options here, from teflon tape to all kinds of anti-seize. I use Never Seez Blue Moly, but use the tape once in awhile. Some guys like Birchwood Casey's choke tube lube for breech lube.
What should be on my list for the essential things I need to take care of my muzzleloader?
Well, patches, bore solvent, .50 cal. bronze bore brush, gun oil, a good cleaning rod, good quality, well fitting cleaning jag are a few items that come to mind.

BTW, have you read this thread...
http://modernmuzzleloader.com/phpBB/viewtopic.php?t=3882
I would follow Loggy's recommendations to a "T" and you should have no problem getting started with your new Pro-Hunter! Good luck!

Back