I'm really surprised at all the complaining...

Modern Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Modern Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I don't care - it's still hilarious to the mentally deranged. :wink: And you don't have to look that hard - check out his shirt before and after.

weel an there i thought i was being clever an i was really jest slow :lol:

Sounds like BH is a good powder. However, i will pass on it. Got loads that work well for me and am not going to argue with success.

I agree with every point that Sabotloader made earlier and I do not mean to piss anyone off with my following comments either. I too have not had any issues with the T7 crude ring that others complain about in either my Encore or Encore Pro Hunter. Since I buy T7 off-season for greatly reduced prices, (like ? off) I have too many pellets and jugs of the stuff right now to switch to anything else and I am not going to let it go to waste. BH not being available over the counter in a handy manner to me is not a good thing either. If I can?t go to Bass Pro, Cabelas, some local gun shop or Midway USA to buy the stuff at a reasonable cost when I get low, then that product or isn?t any good to me.

I do not feel that I should pay a hazard fee because a company does not have a very good sales distribution chain setup yet. I do not have an issue with shooting a few times back to back without swabbing either when I have had the occasion to kill, reload and kill another deer. I also do not have a need to go to the range to shoot 100 rounds either without cleaning. Unless there is some reason that does not allow for it, I do not put any gun away at night dirty so I do not have any corrosion issues with T7.

People have their opinions on what causes the crud ring and to me I wonder if it is as simple as the way cleaned and what products are used to clean rifles to start with.

Part of the reason I took up muzzleloader hunting many years ago was the thrill of that one shot of archery but with a little more range added. (Hit or miss, you are done in one shot.) When I started with a cap and ball rifles in the 80?s, no one thought about the issue cleaning of Black Powder. You shot you guns and you cleaned them because that was just part of the sport. People did not have all these wonderful miracle cleaners either just plan, common and simple stuff. Any shooting in any gun will have the need for some clean up no matter if you are talking about a muzzleloader, a rifle or a pistol. If I do an extended session at the range now, swabbing between shots just kills time, is relaxing and allows for some barrel cool down time and some BS sessions with buddies.

To me if I get tired of the basic clean up with a muzzleloader then I will just grab another gun from the safe and give up on the sport. Maybe I am just one of the lucky few that do not have any issues with T7 to start with and that I do not need to look at BH or Bore Coat to fix something that is not broken.

Curtis

I just bought some bh 209 from Sportsmans warehouse and shot about 15 rounds with my omega. Tc shockwaves didn"t group too good, but the Barnes expanders at least got it down to 1.75" at 100 yds. So I guess like everyone says it needs a tight fitting sabbot.

BUT THERE IS NO SMOKE !!! GOT TO HAVE SMOKE

Why do I get the feeling some people think we are putting pressure on the to change or try BH209? We all know its different strokes for different folks.
I use Pyrodex in my pistol and Hawken and Renagades and will proably continue to do so. I had to use that awful 777 in one of my inlines and I am really glad to stop even though I have 8 1/2 cans of it sitting around.
I chose to shoot what ever shoots the tightest group with the best velocity and is the most reliable and convenient for hunting; and recognize that it will not be the same answer for some other people. I have often wondered what it is that some of us do or do not do that makes certain things like 777 work good or not for us. Lee

Lee 9 said:
Why do I get the feeling some people think we are putting pressure on the to change or try BH209? We all know its different strokes for different folks.
I use Pyrodex in my pistol and Hawken and Renagades and will proably continue to do so. I had to use that awful 777 in one of my inlines and I am really glad to stop even though I have 8 1/2 cans of it sitting around.
I chose to shoot what ever shoots the tightest group with the best velocity and is the most reliable and convenient for hunting; and recognize that it will not be the same answer for some other people. I have often wondered what it is that some of us do or do not do that makes certain things like 777 work good or not for us. Lee

What a GREAT post Lee and my feelings EXACTLY!

I too realize BH209 ISN'T the answer for EVERYONE. BUT it WOULD be great if:

1. At the very LEAST try it before passing judgement.

2. When you DO try it, try it TWICE before saying you don't care for it. The switch was EASY for me because it has many of the same characteristics as smokeless.

3. Give them some time to get it on the shelves. It's had to actually get the product on the shelves until you actually have the product.

If COURSE I'll still shoot Triple Se7en in my White and in sidelocks. The 8 or so lbs I have left should last a LONG time too!

I think it's just one of those things where people are resistant to change. I've only been muzzleloading for a year or so. Before that, I'd only shot centerfires. As it is, muzzleloading is cheapest if I shoot XTP's and Pyrodex. I'm sure if I ever tried 777, I would like it. I'm sure if I ever try BH209, I'll like that too. But, ML'ing is a hobby and something I do for fun, so I'll stick with what I have. If BH209 ever goes on sale, I'll probably get some. I have nothing against it, it's just not practical for me at this point.

i went by bass pro today and noticed that pyrodex is $20 a lb. i think the last bottle i bought of it was $8 or $9.

In northcentral PA, RMC sports in Mingoville is supposed to be receiving some soon.

n8dawg6 said:
i went by bass pro today and noticed that pyrodex is $20 a lb. i think the last bottle i bought of it was $8 or $9.

When it comes to powder...I've noticed Basspro is about as high as it gets.

richdeeht,

Any idea when they think they will get it? I plan on traveling to Ohio in about 2 weeks. It is a bit out of the way but do able if they have it in stock. Do you have any contact info for them?

Thanks,

ShawnT

big6x6 said:
n8dawg6 said:

When it comes to powder...I've noticed Basspro is about as high as it gets.

$16 for Pyro P, $20 for RS,$23 for Select and $26 for T7.

$5.99 for #10 percussion caps :x That really bothers me and makes me thankful that i own 3 flint locks. Still shooting a can of 4f i bought over 2 years ago.

I believe its about to get worse, I glad I have stocked up on almost everything. I believe after I add to my supply of Gold Dots and hph 24 so I have 500 of each I sholud have about a 7 year supply of everything.

All components are going up exponentially.

It wasn't long ago that Federal small rifle primers were impossible to find. They're back out there again, but a silly prices.

Brass, lead, powder... It aint getting any cheaper. It's gotten to the point where it is tough to justify shooting trap. When I look at what lead shot cost just five years ago.......

They're going to end up pricing us out of the heritage....

I buy RS for 14.50 a pound at Sportsmans Warehouse BH is 29.99 for 10oz. Lets see here 32oz for 29 dollars compared to 10 for 30 Dollars. I'm no genious but thats twice the powder for half the cost. RS is a dirty powder but it shoots great in my Extreme, BD, Omega, Sidekick and Pyro P shoots as good in my Extreme also at the same cost. I shoot way too much to justify the cost. I can buy premium gas and get a little bit cleaner fuel or I can safe 20 cents a gallon and get from point A to B with the same results. Its all about the money. Thats it nothing less nothing more.

I'm not complaining: Hunt a lot and shoot an awful lot. There are loads with other brands that very well for me. No need to change success.

Big 6x6, I have a question for you. Does it sound to you like most of the people that deceide the dont like BH are actually giveing excuses for not trying it?
Also on a different subject, do you have to go through a different sever to post a pic here or am I missing some thing?

Back