IMR White Hots - Oil VS Non Oiled barrel

Modern Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Modern Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

exMember

Reaction score
Some have asked me to perform my Oiled VS Non Oiled barrel Chronograph tests with other powders like the IMR White Hots - T7 - Pyrodex.

Today was beautiful out, almost no wind. A great day to set up the chrono and just take my take, clean everything perfectly, including de-carboning the breech plug and cleaning the face of it as well.

I used the CVA Accura V2, 245gr HP Powerbelts, 100gr IMR White Hots, Lightly lubed the barrel with Birchwood Casey Barricade, followed up with One dry patch and used both sides to mop up excess oil. Barrel was cleaned, oiled, dry patches between each shot.

Shots One through Three are listed below.

Pretty impressive spread wise, but Velocity was a lot lower than what i thought it should be.

Cleaning the V2 again, i followed up with Birchwood Casey GUN SCRUBBER to fully clean the bore free of any wetness and oil that may have been in there.

Loaded up again with the same load i previously shot and here are the recorded numbers:

21 FPS Spread. Not bad, but still not impressed with the velocity.

One odd deal i did run into with the non oiled barrel is the crud ring. Even though it was free of oil, the crud ring was much stronger and baked onto the Stainless Steel much harder and requires 6 pumps total of Birchwood Casey muzzle magic foam, and 3 patches. This is an area i want to experiment with more and see why the crud ring is worse with an oil free bore.

I will be chrono testing the T7 pellets next time out and see how they react to the same tests.

That is pretty damn good!! 21 fps spread, you don't get much better than that.......thats even pretty good in the smokeless world....

But it seems a little on the slow side, with the same bullet and grains powder, I think T7 would have been around 1750-1780fps....... :study:

While the IMR's are slower, they are more consistent on an oiled bore and non oiled bore than the Triple 7 Pellets.

Triple 7 Pellets, 100gr charge, winchester W209 primers, 245gr HP Powerbelt.

Oiled bore:
Avg FPS : 1787 with a 18 FPS spread

Non Oiled bore:
Avg FPS : 1802 with a spread of 91 FPS.

That really surprised the heck out to me to be honest.

Next up are Pyrodex Pellets, 100gr charge.

Afterwards, i will test 150gr pellet mag loads with both T7, IMR, Pyrodex Pellets and see how consistent these are with the Oil VS No Oil in the bore.

Pretty impressive FG, I'll have to follow you on this one.

Back