In search of .45 cal pb or other full bore .45 cal bullets.

Modern Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Modern Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Ive got 350 and 400 grain PinPoints from Northern precision that im trying out now. He will size them to almost any size you ask. I got .452 so i could size them down a little bit more for a couple different guns. They size and load pretty easily and so far are very accurate. He didn't make them until i ordered them so there was a short wait, couple weeks maybe.

https://npcustombullets.com/
I actually finally got my order shipped from bill today. I tried the lead tips with some others to sample. They look like exactly what I'd think of when it comes to the perfect muzzleloader bullets. Excited to try something new especially given the limited success I've seen using bh209. Any other contenders people come across would be appreciated.

I have the same rifle and just received some ELR 280 bullets and looking forward to trying them. I am currently shooting the XTP Hornady and SST in 200 grn. sub moa at 100 yrds and breaking ceramic tiles at 200-250 yrds. Shooting 80 grns V of SWBP, Can not find any BH209 in my area. The SWBP shoots clean with no Crud ring using Winchester 209 MZ primers with great success. Thus far I have only killed a coyote with my MR-x. Poked allot of holes in paper as well and love the way this MZ handles and shoots. Looking to attach the muzzle brake. thanks for your input.
Which brake are you running? Or going to run? Anarchy Outdoors? CVA? Or the few and far between 3/4x20 brakes available? I've had some success finding ammo on this thread. Are you looking for pure lead or jacketed? I have found both and having only aesthetics to judge from for now I'd say both are above par. Ed is a gentleman and casts a beautiful 345gn HP and flat nose. Northern precision makes a variety of jacketed bullets in all sorts of configurations. He is a one man show and has a high volume of orders so expect to be patient but from what I've heard and seen they are well worth the wait. He sent me some samples along with my .452 lead tips. Parker bullets also sells a kit tailor made for the CVA line. It's a tad pricey up front but I'm seriously considering the investment. Sizing bullets to specific bores seems to be whats working. Factory bullets just aren't cutting it anymore. I love my elrs but if there's a better way than it has to be done. I look forward to doing some testing in the near future. We'll see what comes of my appointment tomorrow as that will determine the schedule of my future test dates. Anxious to receive some more bullets to run. I'm going to put this thing through its paces because I've had really only success thus far. With all the negative press the .45 cal received I figure I owe it to them to make sure this thing is a true shooter. With the results I've seen after around 100 rounds in I'm confident I won't be disappointed. If you are still in need of bullets shoot me a message I'll point you the right way.

Well I just purchased the Anarchy Muzzle brake it seems to get good reviews. My MR-X is decked with everything now. If this weather would settle down might get out to try some more testing with different bullets/load etc. stay safe and shoot often
Just saw that you purchased the A.O. brake. Good choice. Knocks a little off your shoulder while not interfering with accuracy one bit. Not to mention looks pretty damn good too. Let me know how you like it

The northern Precision bullets I have are closer to 451 I'm afraid you're going to have a hard time using them in a bergara barrel, I can use them in a cut rifle Brux,,, I have not been able to use them in a McGowan,, I'm referring specifically to his 270 pinpoint and he has a 270 bonded which I'm really impressed with the accuracy of you'll find the sidewall contact on that particular bullet is minimal there's just a small band at the bottom of the bullet that will size. Some of his other bullets are not like that still if it were me and I had to order coming from him and I was going to try them in a cva, I would get bill to knurled them up ,, give you a little bit more sizing flexibility,, he has a nice 350 grain spire that shoots really good with black horn and of course the 400 grain bullet I think you might have noticed I've been shooting, I know those are probably a little big for the 22 twist that you're shooting but you might be surprised I would try them with black horn got to get him to add a few of those to your order the 400 gr with a baffle brake and 84 grains of Black Horn is not bad at all recoil is very tolerable and accuracy for me and a 18 twist has been phenomenal.

The northern Precision bullets I have are closer to 451 I'm afraid you're going to have a hard time using them in a bergara barrel, I can use them in a cut rifle Brux,,, I have not been able to use them in a McGowan,, I'm referring specifically to his 270 pinpoint and he has a 270 bonded which I'm really impressed with the accuracy of you'll find the sidewall contact on that particular bullet is minimal there's just a small band at the bottom of the bullet that will size. Some of his other bullets are not like that still if it were me and I had to order coming from him and I was going to try them in a cva, I would get bill to knurled them up ,, give you a little bit more sizing flexibility,, he has a nice 350 grain spire that shoots really good with black horn and of course the 400 grain bullet I think you might have noticed I've been shooting, I know those are probably a little big for the 22 twist that you're shooting but you might be surprised I would try them with black horn got to get him to add a few of those to your order the 400 gr with a baffle brake and 84 grains of Black Horn is not bad at all recoil is very tolerable and accuracy for me and a 18 twist has been phenomenal.
So you touched on a few different things. Some I will avoid due to Sheer jealousy, (brooks and McGowan barrels?!? I can't even explain in words the jealousy I have to have one of those let alone both among others obviously.) Regarding the knurling, I've used a knurler in the past to size up 6 thou with absolutely phenomenal results. That was on pure lead though. How would the knurler work on the jacketed bullets is my question? Wouldn't the jacket be too dense to impart the knurling on it being copper? I've always been under the impression that knurling was for lead only not jackets. If I'm wrong I'd love to hear it because knurlers make sizing bullets a breeze. In regards to what bullets are coming from Bill I only know for sure of the 50 .452" lead tips, he did send some samples of a few though and I'm curious as to what will arrive tomorrow. I know there is some pin points in there. Other than that we shall see. If these do the same as the .452 lead solids and slide right through I'll have to try parkers sizing kit and black maxes. I'm most likely going to be going that route. I've spoken to him a couple of times and he seems to have a good setup for cva barrels going. So thank you for the information. Any help/advice that can be imparted is greatly appreciated

I do think you're going to have problems with your bore,, and his bullets, I think they're going to slip right through. You can knurl up jacketed bullets ,try using the same process that you do with lead bullets if you can get his bullet bumped up a little they might work I would think if that's possible you're still would be smart to shoot a wad. I really like Northern Precision bullets if you haven't noticed, Bill the owners a good man I sure have enjoyed working with him and shooting his bullets,, if you go back and look at Ron's bullet test on his bonded version of the 270 pinpoint it performed very well and the 270 pinpoints in the barrels that fit have been very accurate ,,as accurate as any of the Pittman,Parker,Arrowhead type bullets. If I can help you anymore PM me be glad too I'll be shooting his bullets the next day or two

Ive got 350 and 400 grain PinPoints from Northern precision that im trying out now. He will size them to almost any size you ask. I got .452 so i could size them down a little bit more for a couple different guns. They size and load pretty easily and so far are very accurate. He didn't make them until i ordered them so there was a short wait, couple weeks maybe.

https://npcustombullets.com/
could you post a photo of the "pinpoints" bullets?? thanks!!!

And just look at it isn't it beautiful I think so!!!
Got my lead tips just now. Things are slick. Bill sent a few pin points as well. That is one Gorgeous piece of metal. Those star tipped ones are also mean looking. Unfortunately it's pretty much a guarantee they will slide right down My bore. I haven't been able to check yet but will be doing so shortly. Fingers crossed for a miracle.

Got my lead tips just now. Things are slick. Bill sent a few pin points as well. That is one Gorgeous piece of metal. Those star tipped ones are also mean looking. Unfortunately it's pretty much a guarantee they will slide right down My bore. I haven't been able to check yet but will be doing so shortly. Fingers crossed for a miracle.
If you get them .453 or even .4535 i think you will find they fit your CVA .45 much better. I size to .4525 and then add a light knurl for my Accura.

If you get them .453 or even .4535 i think you will find they fit your CVA .45 much better. I size to .4525 and then add a light knurl for my Accura.
I'm a long time fan of a knurler when applicable. It makes it a very simple task to size bullets up rather than down .asking ammo more affordable available and accurate. Like anything you need to take careful steps to repeat the same process. Again and again. Same cranks same pressure same placement within the knurler. I have only knurled pure lead though. Was actually advised by my old bullet swagger to not use on jacketed bullets. But I have been recently informed that it is in fact effective still. So that should make things interesting. That gives me the potential to buy a generic sized bullet like .300" as I used to and size them to match my bore perfectly at .306" all for the very easy and almost relaxing cost of turning a small crank 6x each. 3 heavy 3 light. Produced one of the most accurate bullet to bore combinations I've ever personally encountered. I was skeptical. I thought the lead leafs would be harmful somehow. All for naught. You do have to be gentle. As you can easily damage the lead ones at least once they are knurled. But the bore cleans itself after every shot, due to the thinness of the leaf that is deposited in minute amounts. So point is, I'm actually excited to try knurling some jacketed bullets. The bullets I received were certainly small. That being said they still did at least engage the rifling. Which means I'm close enough to lay down a strip of knurling and be dead on. I'm just skeptical as to the effectiveness of a knurler on a jacketed bullet. Seems like copper would have trouble imprinting like lead does. But I hope I'm wrong. Having the ability to knurl up a bullet to fit your bore makes ammo selection so much wider in variety, and even less expensive. So if anyone has some EXTENSIVE EXPERIENCE using a knurler on copper jacketed bullets please chime in THANK YOU

I literally am the only one to blame for not sizing my bore before ordering bullets. I was under the impression that pb's being "sized a thou under to ease loading" meant they were on the small size. I didn't realize they were gigantic. Like .460 or something. I am also concerned this is a choked barrel. I will accept it's performance as is but the idea of Bergara actually choking a piece of steal and calling it a barrel sickens me... But that may just show my naivety... Choked barrels are pellets and I mean actual skirted pellets. That's it. Any thoughts?

Anything metal can be knurled to increase its diameter. In some automobile engines the hardened steel valve stems can be knurled to get a better fit in their guides. It obviously takes more pressure to do it but it works. A copper jacketed bullet is fairly easy to increase its diameter even without a knurling tool. I use two files and just roll the bullet between them with light to moderate pressure, depends on the increase i need.
Those X guns will shoot fine you just need to find the load that works. You may end up shooting sabots, or maybe .454 sized lead bullets.

Once you determine what your bore size is you can have Accurate Molds modify an existing mold like the 45-340I to the size you need.
Hey ed. sorry was back in the hospital. Ticker ain’t doing so hot and had a massive infection. That being said I’m heading back to Massachusetts to try and get my health together. I did just grab your package. Thank you so much. I am heading out tonight. Everything is packed up but first thing I will be doing is pushing one of those lead solids down my bore to get an accurate sizing. I can’t thank you enough. I’m actually in Pittsburgh, likely not far from you judging by your return address. I will keep you updated when I am able to get a minute to slug my bore.

Back