In the final stretch....few quick question

Modern Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Modern Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Kipsbay

Reaction score
Here's a little history.....I've been muzzle loading now for approx. 10 years....just sold my orig. Knight disc rifle and bought a TC ProHunter. I've always shot pellets and had good results w/ them or so I thought.

So here we go with my scenario / questions......I've sent my breech plug from my ProHunter out to Cecil at PR Bullets to have the .25 ACP conversion done.....I' also bought the locker pin as a precaution (better safe than sorry). I'm waiting on my base and rings (Talley) and I'll be good to go. My real question starts with Triple 7....FFG or FFFG.....?? I plan on building up loads using PR bullets 220gr .40 cal, 260gr .44 cal, 300gr .45 cal, Harvester Scorpion 300gr, Barnes TMZ 250gr and lastly the SW in 250. I live in NY and will be going to Iowa in Dec so i don't have any real bullet or load restrictions. Am I better off with the hotter FFFG....I see on a lot of other sites where many are enjoying the higher velocities....?? On this site it seems like more lean towards FFG with sabots.....??

I'm just looking to build up a stable accurate load and play more over the spring and summer when I have more time...who knows, I may get lucky here and find a great combo right out of the gate.

Lastly....the trigger on the ProHunter seems like it could use a little work and TC wants nothing to do with it.....I'll probably have to wait but all suggestions and thoughts on what I should do and w/ whom will be appreciated.

Thanks in advance.......JOHN

If the trigger is just a little heavy, a Bellm spring (#3 is probably a safe choice) should take care of that for you. http://www.bellmtcs.com/store/index.php?cid=16

Get his free download while there http://www.bellmtcs.com/Prod_and_Serv/free_cd.htm very useful

If it is more than just stiff, you might need a bit of honing done. You could also do that yourself by following the guidance Bellm provides or get a pro to do the work.

Each rifle has different preferences but I don't think you would go wrong with FFg Triple7... OR Swiss FFF http://www.powderinc.com/catalog/order.htm :)

The Mike Bellm over-sizes hinge pins either a 1X or a 2x will hold in place after free flaoting the rabbit ears on the forearm so it does not touch the frame.

Chocdog

USUALLY for a .50cal muzzleloader, I'm going to go with ffg Triple Se7en if using loose. HOWEVER...I'm pretty much now using pellets or more recently Magnum pellets due to less crud ring. I also feel the 250gr Shockwave(really rather have a 250gr/275gr Parker Ballistic Extreme) is the quick route to finding an accurate load.

Batchief909 said:
I'm going to go with ffg Triple Se7en if using loose.

I take it you've not given the Swiss I gave you a chance??? :cry:

What do you want me to shoot it in?

White .97 .50
Knight Vision .50
Knight LRH .50

Stupid question? :lol:

Bat's MAP recipe works great for barrel swabbing, both sides of a damp, both sides of a dry.

1M, 2A, 2HP, serve chilled with an olive. :)

Gotta include the olive..... :lol:

Seriously Chuck,,,,give it a try in any of your smokers. I think you'll be impressed. Clean-up is more,,,but the performance is well worth it. :wink:

Latest posts

Back