Patriot Load Data

Modern Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Modern Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
I am new to smokeless muzzleloading so I have a question.
On Woodman’s website it has new load data.
One of the 4 powders listed in N130. It says recommended charges of 57-58 grs. with the listed bullets (see attached pic).
Anyone use N130 in a Patriot or any othe smokeless muzzleloader?IMG_6941.png

In that Super Lightweight Patriot, you may want to use VV N110.
30 +/- Grs
of Powder is going to Recoil a lot Less than 57 +/- Grs of Powder. 🫏
Less Expensive (More Shots per Pound) Protect your Eyebrow from Scope Cuts & your Shoulder from Brusing 💥🚑

...................... I consider myself pretty immune to recoil........... I always enjoy big bore guns regardless of recoil.
I felt the same.......... until ....... I shot my BP Xpress ...... ONCE ......... without a muzzle brake.
180grs of T7 and a 300gr bullet. After that went off, I turned around to see if I could find my head!

Look in the Lee Reloading Manual for loads that work with the 45-70 Trapdoor and Rolling-Block rifles. Those loads are under 30,000 psi. (Most are close to 28,000 psi) These rifles use lower pressures because they were originally designed for Black Powder.
Never thought about that - good tip!

Look in the Lee Reloading Manual for loads that work with the 45-70 Trapdoor and Rolling-Block rifles. Those loads are under 30,000 psi. (Most are close to 28,000 psi) These rifles use lower pressures because they were originally designed for Black Powder.
So you are saying any of the powders listed for Trapdoor rifles would work in the Patriot?
Hogdonn has loads listed in their online load data too.

So you are saying any of the powders listed for Trapdoor rifles would work in the Patriot?
Based on the rules of this forum, I have to say these loads will work in a "smokeless rated" barrel.

I can also say, I have used this load data for my "Nitro-Breech" CVA Scout Muzzleloader conversion.

The nature of this question is "pressure". A load designed for the Trap-door rifles must be close to the pressures produced by Black Powder.

BUT...you want to pay attention to load density because a 80% full case in a 45-70 load will make less pressure than the same load compressed in a SML.

In theory if BOTH load's peaks are are based on a compressed load the ML load should peak a bit less. So anytime trying to "guesstimate" a safe load you must look at the load density of the CF load too. Anything less than a 100% or a compressed load is a wild guess if used in a SML.

Latest posts

Back