Inline and patched round ball questions

Modern Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Modern Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Run

Reaction score
I've been shooting BH209 and XTP 240 gr with my TC Impact and getting good results. Recently I was given a bottle of Pyrodex RS and would like to try patched round ball out of the Impact. I've never shot PRB before, so:

1) How do you determine which size of round ball besides buying 100 of each size (for ex, Hornady .480, .490., or .495)?
2) How do you determine which shooting patch besides buying 100 of each from different companies?
3) What kind of accuracy is to be expected with PRB and Pyrodex RS from 50-100 yards?

Any suggestions for starting components and loads is appreciated.

Thanks in advance.

I'm about to do this myself....I have some .490" balls already. you can start off with a box of the swaged Hornady's but I've been thinking that .480" or .485" might not be a bad start - been considering messing with paper patch bullets too but that's another subject... and you can go to the fabric store with yer micrometer and measure some pillow ticking, linen, etc (make sure it's not synthetic) I would probably start at .015" thick or less and get a little bit to try.... wash it before you try it - especially the ticking to remove the sizing... Then figure out what you want to use as a lube and go to town. I slugged my bore, but I need to find the notes to tell you what mine measured... figure to start at a thou or two bigger than that with the ball dia plus 2x the patch thickness and work from there.

Oh... accuracy? Well I would expect to be touching at 50 yard 'cuz that's what my rock lock GPR will do. beyond 50... I dunno yet... BTW, I shoot 2f and 3f real black, not any of the subs so your mileage will vary.

A .490 ball with a .015 patch should work ok. The 1-28 twist is not very good for a PRB, and you won't be able to use much powder. You also have shallow rifling which is not ideal for a PRB.

It will work for plinking, and small game. Hunting loads at 100yds? Not so much.

.490 ball, a good lubed patch and the trick is not a lot of powder. I shoot patched roundball out of my Knight LKII with 70 grains of powder and the accuracy is very good. In fact so good I could hunt with that load if I really wanted to.

DSCN4668.jpg

Just realized that I replied what I would consider acceptable accuracy... not the accuracy that could be expected from the PRB in a fast twist. Guess I gotta get out and try it now...

Another wild hair that I have.... anyone consider putting a .44 cal RB into a sabot for a .50 cal rifle?

FWIW - my TC Impact seems to like ~70gr 3f Grafs with a 240XTP, Rio 209 primer, and a green Harvester. Initial tests gave about 1 1/2" @ 100yds for 3 shots... I need to go back out and fine tune it as I ran out of bullets. I initially tried 70 to 120 gr of loose 777, as well as Pyrodex RS in similar charges but they were giving me 4"+ groups at 100 yards.

When I just want a relaxing day at the range not worrying about groups or loads I shoot .490 round balls with a .015 patch and 50 grains of 777 2g with very surprising accurancy. I buy a cheap case of pop at wally world for $2, set em up at 50-75 yards and sit back and giggle like a little kid every time they explode.

Hornady used to sell a lead ball in a sabot combination that you could shoot out of any rifle you like. I never tried them.

mmp used to sell a roundball sabot also, but im pretty sure they discontinued them. There has to be a reason for that, but could just be lackluster sales

Yes I have tried a .454 rb in Harvester crushrib sabot with Bh 209.They shot pretty good

Back