Installing a Lehigh Defense breech plug eith

Modern Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Modern Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Tannhauser

Reaction score
D7039D4F-B3B4-4FA7-AAA8-DFDFADD58069.jpeg
I just received these Lehigh Defense breech plugs with vent liners. I’m going to install one in my Accura MR first to see how it performs.

My plan is to thoroughly degrease the plug I've taken apart, reinstall the vent liner using AntiSeize and then install the plug just like I did my last Western Powders plug - lube the threads with grease and then firmly seat using a wrench. Remove, clean the threads, apply the CVA black stick and then screw in hand tight.

Am I missing anything?

Last edited:
Im not familiar with how large Lehigh cut those primer pockets in the CVA plugs. If they are on the very loose side with say a Win209, i would try a fatter primer even if it is shorter. Length is somewhat easy to adjust with shims ect. OD is not.

I prefer a little anti-sieze on vent liners too. Just a tiny amount on the threads and under the button head shoulder. Wipe off any excess after installing.

Tannhauser, GM's note about trying different primers could make a world of difference.

Yes, that will be part of range testing. In my current breech plug I've had excellent sealing with a CCI 209M with an O-ring. I'll start with this combination. Which I hope works, because my stash is all CCI 209 primers, and these days finding stuff is often impossible.

Yes, that will be part of range testing. In my current breech plug I've had excellent sealing with a CCI 209M with an O-ring. I'll start with this combination. Which I hope works, because my stash is all CCI 209 primers, and these days finding stuff is often impossible.
How do you like your lehigh breech plug? I have ordered one for my optima v2 nitride yesterday, supposed to be here Tuesday and I'm going nuts I can't wait to try it.

Did the lehigh plug come qith through wrench for the first time instalation and if not what could I use?

Last edited by a moderator:
Did the lehigh plug come qith through wrench for the first time instalation and if not what could I use?
It wont come with the wrench. The wrench is only from CVA. I have used a large flat blade screwdriver held by a crescent wrench or pliers when i couldn't find that tool. Or you could wrap it in leather or something and tighten it with ChannelLock pliers if youre careful. (I wouldn't)

It wont come with the wrench. The wrench is only from CVA. I have used a large flat blade screwdriver held by a crescent wrench or pliers when i couldn't find that tool. Or you could wrap it in leather or something and tighten it with ChannelLock pliers if youre careful. (I wouldn't)
I don't like the idea of the leather but the flat blade screwdriver sounds pretty good bc I'm scared I will hit my scope. But if I have to ill just take it off. I could rezero within a couple shots, I don't know how much h force is gonna be required but yeah I can definitely. See the large flathead arr generally long so that lenght will allow me to clear the obj. of the OBJ. Of the scope.guess it will be am I strong enough to turn it up in there tight. Guess we will find out supposed to be here Tuesday I'll post again after I get it installed and check my zero.
.ttyl t.brady

Back