Interested in your favorite charge weight of N120

Modern Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Modern Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Nic_58

Reaction score
What's everyone been using for a charge weight of N120 using a 300 gr. bullet? I know when all the rage started about N120, it was 60 grains. But recently I've seen where quite a few are using less than 60 grs. now. I have some of the now hard to get Barnes Originals and also want to try some 300 gr. SST's with the N120 and would like a little input from other's experienced with this powder and weight of bullet, specifically, how many grains of powder have you found to be the best for you.

60 grs N120 with 300 SST.....

SST.jpg

I've been getting between .5" to 1.25" with 300 MZ expnaders with the same load (sorry no current pics) and averaging just under an inch.

I have tried 58g,59g,60g, and 55g. My gun grouped best with 55g. I still have 56g and 57g to try yet. Do to my limited supply of the Barnes Originals, I have not tried 56 and 57 yet.

I've tried N120 with 300gr bullets but haven't found the magic formula yet.

I've shot 56, 57, 58, 59, 60 grains, 300 Barnes, from both of my guns and the group sizes are almost identical with each load. 1-1/2" maximum down to around 3/4" for the best. Much of the group variation between loads can easily be attributed to the shooter, me.

I do not have a chronograph. Can anyone provide a ballpark speed for 59 gr. 120 and the 300 bullet

I've settled on 59 grains for both guns, just because, well...I could.

Thanks,
Kim

Yesterday for the 1st time ever I tried VV-120/60gs/300SST/HPH-12 @ 100yds and got a 0.51" gp -all touched, velocity avg'd 2212'/sec. Due to time limitations I only got to shoot 1 group. I won't be surprised if next year's load is the 300 Barnes and 55-60g VV-120.

vv120

SW, what is your shot to shot proceedure, clean or no cleaning, or dry patch? My guns velocity varies depending upon what shot to shot proceedure I use. A clean and dry barrel with the HPH 12 gives me the highest velocity, but hard to load, Ray

Re: vv120

clock said:
SW, what is your shot to shot proceedure, clean or no cleaning, or dry patch? My guns velocity varies depending upon what shot to shot proceedure I use. A clean and dry barrel with the HPH 12 gives me the highest velocity, but hard to load, Ray
Though VV powders burn so cleanly I suspect a single dry patch would suffice, I put a few drops of Rem ML cleaner on a patch to slightly moisten it - 1 time thru and 1 dry patch once thru between every shot. The barrel stays lightly fouled(a second shot w/o cleaning impacts appx the same spot). I record all velocities and found that my std devs stay lowest with this between shot method.

58 GRAINS FOR ME. STILL STOUT AND EXCELLENT GROUPS WITH 300 GRAIN BARNES MZ's.

Latest posts

Back