Introduction

Modern Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Modern Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score

Yakobi

New Member​

Today at 12:24 PM
Hi,
I am an Alaska salmon commercial fisherman for 43 years and counting.
I am a longtime SW Idaho resident with stints in Alaska and eastern Washington.
I hunt elk, deer, and antelope, waterfowl, and upland birds.
I love to sportsfish.
I am a new muzzleloader hunter and am taking it up with one of my sons.
I love pudel pointers... have one named Tali.

I have a Northwest CVA Wolf .50 for an elk hunt with my son.

Wish I could find an Idaho load with a solid lead conical under 400 gr (per CVA manual. Tis a challenge...

I purchased a Northwest CVA Wolf .50 as a starter for an elk hunt with my son.

Wish I could find an Idaho load with a solid lead conical (per CVA manual).

Seems like NE 420 should be okay, but CVA "discourages" lead conicals over 400 grain.

Trying to determine pressures of what they do encourage... without giving specific load data, they actually allow up to 150 grains by volume of powder and okay use of any of their Powerbelts (largest being .348)..can't imagine that being a "good" load.

Lyman's doesn't give info for 1:28 twist in a 24" barrel, but 150 pyrodex pellets + wad + 350 Buffalo hp in a 1:24 with a 22" barrel is ~28800 pressure.
It is pretty easy to hit pressures much lower than that with a 420 (shocker) and 70 grains of powder by volume (12,400 pressure in tgat barrel).

I reload most if what i shoot in smokeless, just don't have ML experience to know how to compare without good matching data. :)

Dont think its remotely necessary to use 150 grains but I cant imagine 80-100 grains of T7 with a NE 420 being a problem.

But check Mr Hollowpoint website for these pictured and he has other .50 caliber. If you call him with your need he will help.1693068717641.png

1693068717641.png

Dont think its remotely necessary to use 150 grains but I cant imagine 80-100 grains of T7 with a NE 420 being a problem.

But check Mr Hollowpoint website for these pictured and he has other .50 caliber. If you call him with your need he will help.View attachment 37003

View attachment 37003
I have a bunch of Mr Hollowpoints conicals for my .50 1:24. I have them from 330g to 515g.

Seems like NE 420 should be okay, but CVA "discourages" lead conicals over 400 grain.

Trying to determine pressures of what they do encourage... without giving specific load data, they actually allow up to 150 grains by volume of powder and okay use of any of their Powerbelts (largest being .348)..can't imagine that being a "good" load.

Lyman's doesn't give info for 1:28 twist in a 24" barrel, but 150 pyrodex pellets + wad + 350 Buffalo hp in a 1:24 with a 22" barrel is ~28800 pressure.
It is pretty easy to hit pressures much lower than that with a 420 (shocker) and 70 grains of powder by volume (12,400 pressure in tgat barrel).

I reload most if what i shoot in smokeless, just don't have ML experience to know how to compare without good matching data. :)
Welcome, you're in the right place to learn all of that.

Do ya think we should just start warning all of the new guys to the modern muzzleloader enablers club to start makin room in their closets & gun safes when they join? It would be a fair warning, they're going to need it.
Good idea. Maybe have a minimum number of square feet dedicated to muzzle loaders.

Back