Is 70 grains enough?

Modern Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Modern Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Am I correct in saying that 70grs of fffg powder is equal to 80 grs of ffg . Actually 77 grs of ffg.

My .54 caliber Hawken Rifle Copy really shines with a 80 grain charge of 2F a .15 patch and 530 round ball.
This is my "standard load" ...Standard as in my one load for all my shooting ...be it target work or hunting.
I have taken deer , bear and elk with this load....most of my shots have been 100 yards or less.
Andy
hawken10.jpg

That nose cap is something! That's quite impressive.

What kind of finish is on the stock?

Thanks...!
The nose cap is pewter...and the stock finish is Boiled Linseed Oil...but it is has years of bear grease and or deer tallow wiped on it as well ...from use in the hunting field...
It is my most shot and carried rifle that I own.
Andy

I just made arrangements to buy a .54 CVA Mountain Rifle myself.  I own a lot of muzzleloaders, both custom and reproduction stuff, but that Mountain Rifle has gotten my attention somehow. I am very interested in this thread, as I was wondering how they do with the 70 Gr. load of 3f. 
I shoot matches once a month, so I will get out and shoot the beans out of it before hunting season and hopefully make friends with it. 
Maybe I'll get out and experiment with it on some feral hogs, as I hunt them regularly.

I hope you'll like it as well as I like mine.  My modest little "rifle" range at my camp is 86 yds. long and I can group 3" with my 54. cal.  I have to say I am not the worlds best shot, neither am I up on all of the high tech equipment that I enjoy reading about here.  Have taken many deer with my Big Bore Mountain from CVA, most of them at probably less than 65 yds.   Enjoy!

I have my own range, but I never built anything past 100 yds. on it...because the cover is so dense around here that 100+ yd. shots are pretty rare. I'll pick up my rifle this morning and should be able to test it out on a hog within a week or two at the most.

Oh yeah, keep us posted.  On that 100 yard shot stuff; my property is the same way--what isn't hard woods is now heavy brush, no more open field etc so the distance of my shots is pretty limited.  It is also getting much harder to even catch a view of a deer anymore but still so great being out there.

I use 90 grains of fffg in my .50 and it shoots real flat out to 100 1/4

AndyinEverson said:
My .54 caliber Hawken Rifle Copy really shines with a 80 grain charge of 2F a .15 patch and 530 round ball.
This is my "standard load" ...Standard as in my one load for all my shooting ...be it target work or hunting.
I have taken deer , bear and elk with this load....most of my shots have been 100 yards or less.
Andy
hawken10.jpg

Nice rifle and looks well cared for. You know your rifle. That alone is far more effective than finding any 'magic' load. :Red tup:

Thank you Rifleman 1776...
Yep I've bought it new from the maker in 1997...been shooting it almost exclusively ever since.
Knowing your rifle and staying within your limits of shooting , makes for a deadly hunting rifle.

I have shot at hit targets often enough at 200 yards to know that it can be done...enough to know that when we read of guys doing shots like this in the 19th century , that they probably weren't lying.

But as I said in first post ....most of my hunting shots have been 100 yards or less.
I do not practice enough at 200 yards to do a hunting shot at that distance...not to forget to mention that 100 yards is a long shot where I hunt , with any rifle....
Andy

Back