Is my Pyrodex old?

Modern Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Modern Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Probably not without actually firing it.

When I shot Pyro years and years ago, I never kept an opened jug from one season to another. If I noticed any clumping during the season I got rid of that jug and bought a new one figuring the product wouldn't clump up unless some moisture or humidity got into it.

It depends on how it was stored.
I have pyro back from 2005 and it still goes boom.

Here in Tennessee back country hillbillies we just go out side poor a little on the ground and light it and let it smoke. If it goes up quick it’s good if it don’t it bad.

Look on the bottom of the can/container if there is a sticker it will tell you day and year it was made.
If no sticker then who knows

It depends on how it was stored.
I have pyro back from 2005 and it still goes boom.

Here in Tennessee back country hillbillies we just go out side poor a little on the ground and light it and let it smoke. If it goes up quick it’s good if it don’t it bad.

Look on the bottom of the can/container if there is a sticker it will tell you day and year it was made.
If no sticker then who knows
Thanks. I purchased it in 1992, and there is no clumping; I will try your method.

Probably not without actually firing it.

When I shot Pyro years and years ago, I never kept an opened jug from one season to another. If I noticed any clumping during the season I got rid of that jug and bought a new one figuring the product wouldn't clump up unless some moisture or humidity got into it.
Thanks

Latest posts

Back