Is the 200 Grain/.40 XTP effective for deer?

Modern Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Modern Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
A while back someone posted that question. So, I thought I might file a report on a recent kill.

My brother-in-law killed a nice buck on our lease right at the end of the season this year. I just got finished adding test to his pictures for the picture wall in our campground cook shack. Here they are.

IMG_6958005.jpg

The bullet entered the left side of neck, shattered the lower half of the neck-bone, and came to rest under the skin on the off-side. The core had separated from the jacket. The deer dropped without a twitch.

IMG_6957002.jpg

Here's the bullet.

200 GR XTP.jpg

I kids have taken 3 deer in the last couple years with that bullet and low powder charges (80 grains 777). No complaints here.

Good bullet. Like all XTPs. I hit a doe at 4 yards with one that left the muzzle at 1800 fps. Went through her like a blender.
Hit the ball of the shoulder and a rib. Didn't exit and I couldn't find it. No matter. She pulled up all 4 legs and went down in a heap. Not even a twitch.
Her chest was... gooey.

Congrats on a good buck.
When I got my CVA Optima pistol, I experimented with different bullets and powder charges.
I found the Hornady XTPS, 240 grain bullets shot awesome with 80 grains V of Triple 7 2f.
Last season, I had a decent 8 point come by the treestand about 15 yards. My shot struck on the shoulder. The buck wheeled around and took off. I searched and searched but never found a drop of blood or even a single hair.
I know I didn't miss as the impact nearly knocked the deer off its feet.
Needless to say that I'm no longer a fan of those bullets.

240gr XTP or the 240gr XTP MAG? The 44cal 240gr is not a MAG. The 45cal is and its a far tougher bullet.

I’ve taken 30 or more deer with the 44 cal 240 XTP s, muzzleloaders and 44 mag rifles . No complaints with the bullets performance. As with any bullet, shot placement is key.

A while back someone posted that question. So, I thought I might file a report on a recent kill.

My brother-in-law killed a nice buck on our lease right at the end of the season this year. I just got finished adding test to his pictures for the picture wall in our campground cook shack. Here they are.

View attachment 19737

The bullet entered the left side of neck, shattered the lower half of the neck-bone, and came to rest under the skin on the off-side. The core had separated from the jacket. The deer dropped without a twitch.

View attachment 19738

Here's the bullet.

View attachment 19739
As long as you keep them below 2000 fps muzzle velocity, they should work great.(youth loads and such) I, personally, like something that stays together alittle bit better.

I’ve killed deer with them but I don’t think they are tough enough for higher velocity’s, they explode if the velocity is to high but if kept low they kinda hold together.

I killed the biggest buck of my life, a 200+ lb dressed 10 pt with a 200 gr Hornady 10mm XTP and 70 gr of FFFg shot out of a .45 cal T/C Renegade with a GM LRH barrel. Hit him behind the shoulder and he ran about 40 yards and piled up.

I've taken many deer with that bullet. It has performed very well for me and I see no need to use anything else.

Back