I've been thinking...

Modern Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Modern Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

ENCORE50A

Long Range Shooter
Supporting member
Reaction score
Well it may not be the definition that the wife gives......... me thinking.

So .. I have a couple rifles in the safe that I never shoot and one I've never shot. Been "thinking" about selling a few and buying something I want (notice I didn't say "need"?). This presents some questions about worth so, I thought I'd ask for some advice/recommendations.....

Winchester Model 94, 30-30 built in 1948. All the bluing is great, with what I would call normal or slightly less than normal wear on the wood. I do know that this rifle has NEVER been hunted. The original owner bought the rifle after returning from the Pacific after WWII and was not a hunter. With what I've seen advertised on some sites, it appears that its worth $1,000 +/-......... any recommendations?

Winchester Model 63, .22 rimfire-semi auto built in 1947. Another rifle with great bluing and what I would call "normal" wood wear. The owner of this rifle DID hunt with it. What may detract from the value is, he had someone mount a scope .... to the barrel. This rifle does not have grooves for mounting a scope. This rifle's value could be anywhere from $800 up to $3,000 if it had not had the scope mounted. ........ any recommendations?

Now it gets down to a couple firearms that I purchased new......

Remington 700 BDL in 30-06. I've probably not shot 2 boxes of ammunition through this rifle. However it does have a couple dents in the stock, from pulling it up to the top of a Spruce tree in Saskatchewan. I was told that these can be "steamed out" but, I have no experience with working with wood. The rifle would be sold with mounts and rings........... any recommendations?

Remington 11-87 Premier shotgun. 2 3/4 or 3" - 12ga w/28" barrel and Rem Chokes. I've shot sporting clays with it four or five times, other than that, it just sets in the safe........ any recommendations??

Thanks.

Don't know your age, kids, & what you may plan down the road, use, gifting, whatever. I don't sell often, but I've sold a few the last 2-3 years. I still have plenty to use & give to the kids if need be. I had some that I never shot, or hadn't shot in 15+ years. I always go over my guns every 9 months, so they all take a little care.

I felt I knew the value more than most if I was gone at some point. I also like to hunt with the same gun or 3 for most seasons, favorite shotguns, M-L, centerfire, rimfire, etc.. I did keep in mind preferences can change over a period of years.

I listed a few on Armslist & let them ride, also did a trade with one. Some higher end, more collectable may take a while to match up with a buyer. Some of the gun rush is over after last Winter's frenzy. I'd just start with one or 2 your could really live with out, list them on Armslist for free & see what happens. Just an idea.

Thanks muskrat30.

I've had guy some out of the woodwork after that Model 94 but, everyone wants to trade something. I've had more offers to trade for AR15's than I can count.

It's usually easier to sell that $350 Savage than a $1,200 Sako. Potential gun buyers & shooters are many, serious collectors(high $$ stuff) are few.

I had some 5 acre+/- homesites for sale a handful of years ago. These were in a nice area, off a quiet road, high & dry, with a mostly sandy base. In short great building sites, easy to qualify for traditional septic. I listed them very reasonable, so they would move. I had one guy start out with the low offer, fine by me. I said they were already a great deal. He went elsewhere, to a less favorable spot. He ended up trucking in so much sand & other material he easily spent more than the difference in price. Then his septic was never as cheap & easy. He was smitten with a lower price, ended up paying more to get less.

Sorry to digress about septic fields, but that's important stuff.

Latest posts

Back